Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

I think the PPN will struggle past north Bristol. Anything that does will be light and fizzle out, before it drops SE into France.

West of the Red line has a good chance. Hopefully as the LP approches colder air will be brought in from those strong East winds.

I would disagree with you. I feel that it will keep moving N/E although it will lose its intensity. I also feel that less places will see snow for any amount of time before this reverts to rain. High areas will be at most risk clearly. The areas that could do well are the cotswolds going into the midlands. Time will tell. What is sad is that this memorable spell is coming to an end. Still 50 days or so left of the winter so here's hoping for more.biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I think the PPN will struggle past north Bristol. Anything that does will be light and fizzle out, before it drops SE into France.

West of the Red line has a good chance. Hopefully as the LP approches colder air will be brought in from those strong East winds.

Personally I think it will stop 1.6 miles SW of Yatton!

Posted

One of the best things about the UAE is that come Wednesday morning it has a westerly 850 wind, but still maintains the easterly at ground level, thanks to the shortwave that even the UAE develops to some extent, the GFS more still though.

The above helps to keep the snow down to even lower levels in the SW.

ATM the models are very much showing a perfect snow event for the SW from an Atlantic LP system, all a bit to good to be tbh, but we can get lucky occasionally.

Peak winds are likely to be within an hr or two of the heavy precip in the SW, gusts upto 40Kts according to the NAE.

Iceberg, are we gonna get some snow at last in Poole, or is it another major disappointment. Grateful for any hope for us snow starved central southerners.

Posted

ha ha ha ha if that verifies what i said earlier will be bang on about Swindon being to N/E/S or W to get an event no matter what direction the snow is coming from.

Posted

I would disagree with you. I feel that it will keep moving N/E although it will lose its intensity. I also feel that less places will see snow for any amount of time before this reverts to rain. High areas will be at most risk clearly. The areas that could do well are the cotswolds going into the midlands. Time will tell. What is sad is that this memorable spell is coming to an end. Still 50 days or so left of the winter so here's hoping for more.biggrin.gif

James nice one :unsure:

Hi Noggy... :) :)

Im with TC on this one..

Tomorrow I will have blizzards :)

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I think it was a low moving in along the channel, which dragged easterly winds over the top of it.

To answer the second point tho, with the low from the west you get milder air, and usually plenty of PPN, when the two of those meet the cold air in place you get what is progged to happen tomorrow.

Snow, and lots of it. :unsure:

Plus the winds stay southeasterly for much of the time... Higher ground maybe Southeasterly 35 - 40mph, gusting 50 - 60mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Iceberg, are we gonna get some snow at last in Poole, or is it another major disappointment. Grateful for any hope for us snow starved central southerners.

I think you could get a snow-rain event to be honest, my brother lives in your neck of the woods and it is just tropical down there even in winter because your so close to the coast i am afraid. cc_confused.gif

High ground in west country could see some impressive drifts in the winds forecast.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

I'd have to agree with Mullender, Slim for Poole, you might well get some snow, but the chances of it settling away from say 1000 yards from the sea can't be better than say 20%.

It increases out to around 2 miles or so, so Corfe Mullen maybe 40% and then goes to greater than 50% for north of Blandford, just my opinion though so could easily be wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

If this happens and if we do get a decent fall, is it going to be followed by rain? I ask as son has just come home in a paddy, he's been told categorically that he has to be in school on Thursday for an exam - even if transport is cancelled and school closed to the rest of the pupils.

Posted

If this happens and if we do get a decent fall, is it going to be followed by rain? I ask as son has just come home in a paddy, he's been told categorically that he has to be in school on Thursday for an exam - even if transport is cancelled and school closed to the rest of the pupils.

Maybe but there is still a good chance it won't turn back to rain because your quite high up at around 180/200m ish from what i remember.

We could all be cutting wrists though when morning models give us an almost final change.... nonono.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Thats a joke considering schools normally close at the drop of a hat leaving everyone else to sort out the mess.

I've not seen any forecast saying its going to turn back to rain for here, so I would assume further East is likely the same. That said, who knows.

I assume the school have been issued orders by that joke of a women they had on the news this morning who said they could not possibly delay exams. (and gave some rather half cut reason, which to anyone with half the braincells of a dying fish was quite clearly nonsense)

</rant>

Posted

I am less inclined to believe it will turn to rain much before the precip dies down, the easterly surface winds should be maintained.

Looking at the latest 12Z GFS, we might have to go through this all again in 12 days time (if we can bare it), any warm up might be temporary lasting only a hand full of days. !.

Posted

Looking at upper air temps, orientation set against surface temps ... I think this will fall as rain or sleety stuff.

I have sometimes got these things badly wrong, but I am unconvinced this is a snow event.

Anyway, down here in the south-west next weekend is going to feel positively spring-like after all this cold ...

Posted

Thats a joke considering schools normally close at the drop of a hat leaving everyone else to sort out the mess.

I've not seen any forecast saying its going to turn back to rain for here, so I would assume further East is likely the same. That said, who knows.

I assume the school have been issued orders by that joke of a women they had on the news this morning who said they could not possibly delay exams. (and gave some rather half cut reason, which to anyone with half the braincells of a dying fish was quite clearly nonsense)

</rant>

Problem is our modern society means schools cannot afford the risk of a lawsuit from some scheming parent (minority of cases) because their obnoxious child breaks an ankle playing in it. nonono.gif What ever happened to the term accidents happen?

Crawls back under rock

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

</rant>

I expect they have. He asked how, considering we live on the top of a hill, tiny lanes in and out of the village, miles to the main road, not a gritter in sight - the answer - walk if necessary, it's about 5 miles away. Time will tell.....

Posted

looks nice.

Yes, I'll definitely have that, thank you! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I expect they have. He asked how, considering we live on the top of a hill, tiny lanes in and out of the village, miles to the main road, not a gritter in sight - the answer - walk if necessary, it's about 5 miles away. Time will tell.....

You might be worrying over nothing, best wait and see.

Posted

Well, here's my twopennyworth. I'm not sure what will happen!

This could be a major snow event for most of us, but then again it could all go t#ts up if it moves too far north and introduces milder air. It may only skim the south west and head off into the atlantic again.

I've seen these events get bigged up before and deliver nothing but rain or really wet snow that quickly turns to slush - yuk!

Is the cold air so entrenched that it really stalls the front, stays cold and dumps copious amounts of snow on its northern flank i.e. Bristolbiggrin.gif

what about that shortwave that Nick Sussex mentioned earlier?

Nowcast event.

Where's Ian? We need an update or maybe he's lying low 'cause he's not quite sure eitherwhistling.gif

Posted

12Z GFS has Precip totals generally higher 15-20 across the SW, before swinging the band upto the M4 corridor across to the SE before dieing out.

A central place of somerset, west devon and NW Dorset seems to be the highest totals upto 25cms here, GFS though is lower res than NAE, but has the extra added bonus shortwave feature.

A combination of the two and you get widespread totals of 30-40cms across high areas of the SW from Devon to the cotswolds, mendips etc, but this is a bit too rampish for my liking.

I am starting to believe a little, but am afraid to believe too much....

The UKMET GM very much follows the GFS 12Z, with the higher precip totals and further NE movement of the precipitation.

Still very much of snow with high totals for eastern Devon, west and north dorset, somerset, south wiltshire and into South wales.

Totals agreement on at least 5-10cms of snow for most people and 2 out of 3 going for the 20-30cms for alot of people, next biggy will be the 18Z for GFS and UAE and the 00Z's from the 3 models which should have a good steer by then.