Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Problem is our modern society means schools cannot afford the risk of a lawsuit from some scheming parent (minority of cases) because their obnoxious child breaks an ankle playing in it. nonono.gif What ever happened to the term accidents happen?

Crawls back under rock

Yep, I remember struggling to school in Devon in the Winter of 62/63 (that's 1962/3, not 1862/3 btw).

None of this litigious claptrap health and safety nonsense then. :lol: :lol: :nonono: :lol:

I blame Cherie Blair and the Human Rights Act. Why can't we have a Human Responsility Act too?

I'll shut up now. :wacko:

Posted

From what I'm reading the confidence levels seem a lot higher than all the marginal events of the recent past, at least for my location. The MetO giving a 'high risk' and probability of 80% is making me worry more about the possible disruption than being disappointed for once!

Posted

Yep, I remember struggling to school in Devon in the Winter of 62/63 (that's 1962/3, not 1862/3 btw).

None of this litigious claptrap health and safety nonsense then. nonono.gifnonono.gifnonono.giflaugh.gif

I blame Cherie Blair and the Human Rights Act. Why can't we have a Human Responsility Act too?

I'll shut up now. wacko.gif

Agreed Noggin. I remember walking home from school in late 70s, trudging 5 miles thru' a blizzard and when i got home all my mum said, in a 'matter of fact' tone, was "Wondered when you'd get home?!"

These days there's major panic!

Gets off soapbox.

EDIT: News24 weather just now shows heavy snow thru' Tues night right up to BTL and into Glos, before dying out fairly early Wednesday morn. Earlier i'm sure some forecasts were saying thru' a lot of Wednesday as well

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

You might be worrying over nothing, best wait and see.

Nah, not worried, just a tad bemused in my usual bewildered way, thanks for the reassurance though.

Personally hoping we get shed loads but refusing to get excited at this stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

The UKMET GM very much follows the GFS 12Z, with the higher precip totals and further NE movement of the precipitation.

Still very much of snow with high totals for eastern Devon, west and north dorset, somerset, south wiltshire and into South wales.

Totals agreement on at least 5-10cms of snow for most people and 2 out of 3 going for the 20-30cms for alot of people, next biggy will be the 18Z for GFS and UAE and the 00Z's from the 3 models which should have a good steer by then.

How do you access the GM?

Posted

None of this litigious claptrap health and safety nonsense then. :lol: :lol: :nonono: :lol:

I'll shut up now. :wacko:

You get my vote Val.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

I blame the apparent inability for anyone to take any responsibility for their own actions. So what if someone slips on the path you kindly swept, ice is inherently slippery. So what if someone trips over a crack in the pavement, they should open their eyes.

This is just one of the reasons this country (and some other western counties) is a laughing stock.

Hmm what to say to make it on topic.

Oh,

will it snow on Dartmoor? whistling.gif

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

Y'know what, peeps......I don't really know what will happen. I'm going to be cool, calm and collected and am going to take a "wait and see" approach.

I will remain calm. :lol:

Posted

maybe, just maybe this is our best chance of a decent snow in dorset, well east anyway, though it is extremely marginal at the moment.whistling.gif

I do hope your right, We have been so unlucky and it's getting ridiculous now.

I even got excited over the sleety drizzle we had today. :lol:

Posted

You get my vote Val.

Not for shutting up, I hope! :wacko: :lol: :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Oh right is that just the UKMO on wetter then?

Posted

Not for shutting up, I hope! :wacko: :lol: :nonono:

No, you fool.

Why isn't there a mantra smiley for those enforced calm times in life?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Where is the front gunna stall tomorrow.

Slap bang over my villiage! laugh.gif

They are not sure yet but early indications are brstol/glouc/somerset area. drinks.gif

west forecast might be done by Ian tonight i think because richard was on this morning. I will look forward to that.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Cars and previously cleared ground/rooves are covered in a layer of ice/tiny hail pellets (graupel) which has been fairly persistent although very light since mid-morning.

What temperatures have others recorded today? Here it's been between 0.1c and 0.3c throughout!

Posted

Slap bang over my villiage! laugh.gif

They are not sure yet but early indications are brstol/glouc/somerset area. drinks.gif

Good i dont want it to go that far north at all, up to gloucestershire and worcestershire is where it best stall then slip south slowly.

Posted

(15)20+ :shok:..minutes worth maybe

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Is that all Pat! Youre not going to get me over in my JCB Digging you out with 20 Minutes worth of Snow :shok::oops:

Posted

+0.2-0.3 all day here. Slight/light snow or drizzle. Surfaces now getting very slippery. Dewpoint -0.7 and the wind is definitely veering into the east - although only slowly.

Edited by winger

Posted

Good i dont want it to go that far north at all, up to gloucestershire and worcestershire is where it best stall then slip south slowly.

Evening all,

Very little thaw surprisingly here today, probably helped by last nights fresh covering of snow

Just to pick up on a point - the above areas are looking likely to be around the stalling point, and at the time it stalls the front edge lies somewhere around oxfordshire/berkshire, but its unlikely to be slipping back southwards again, it will simply stall and run out of steam against the cold air

Totals at the moment, some south-western areas (somerset and SE Wales looks like good places to be along with dartmoor obviously) up to 30cms in one or two spots, though more generally between 10 and 20cms id think in these areas

Pat without changes i reckon 10cm for glos - of course still very much a case now nowcasting though

But the good news is that the closer we get to the event the more and more the milder uppers are getting mixed out of the equation

A very good couple of days coming up for some of us

SK

Posted

Watch the radar for the PPN from 12.00 onwards.

Should be very interesting to see where the PPN goes.

All should get something.