Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

snowmobile.jpg

I would love to see it.. I just feel so negative about it! Lol! Guess I'm just nervous... And because I'm depressed about he amount of sludge outside!

I'm not going to look out the window tomorrow evening

.... Not once! I will cry if it's rain! Lol!

It'll snow for ya... if anything you guys further east should be less marginal!

Keep smiling :(

I think temp is dropping, we have steady light snow which is giving us more today in ground values than sunday did drinks.gif

icicles are looking impressive coming off the roof too.

You need to turn your heating up! lol. Although icicles suggest a thaw has taken place, none of that nonsense here! :whistling:

Although the snow is falling off the tree a little. But no dripping anywhere!

Not sure re the wind direction.

Posted

Less Cold

Well here we are after a long cold spell for all of the UK, the cold spell is loosening its grip across the UK. However there is still some rain/sleet and snow around across Central England/Northern Wales/Ireland and Northern England, however the snow is mainly falling across the hill and will be light in nature. Down to lower levels and towards the coast it is likely to be or rain, further inland it will be a wintry mixture. There still will be a cold Easterly breeze. Further North across Scotland is will be cloudy with some rain/sleet and snow moving into Southern areas, further North there will be some sunny spells, but still feeling cold. Further South it will be mostly cloudy and cold. Wherever you have snow you will see a slight thaw, this could refreeze later tonight when tempertures drop to freezing or below.

Into tonight then the rain/sleet and snow mix will continue it joureny across Scotland, turning heavy over the hills for a time. Elsewhere is will be cold with cloudy skies, so tempertures will stay towards the freezing mark or just below. Ice maybe a factor where snow has settled, so take care during the early hours.

Tuesday and its a tricky one. A weather system will try to move in from the South-West, bringing rain at first. As it moves in it will bump into the Colder air, so heavy snow is likely across the hills of the South-West, with snow possible at lower levels for a time, but i think this may turn back to rain. As the system moves into South Wales/Central England and Southern Areas there is again likely to be some heavy snow for a time, again i feel is will be border-line for low level areas but im not ruling out a covering/dusting in places. Wheres as higher routes will see snow with totals reaching 10-20cm. For Northern Ireland it will be a cold and cloudy start with some light showers across the coast, as we move towards the afternoon and evening the rain/sleet and snow mix may just reach this area, with snow favored for higher routes, but again lower levels may see something. Scotland will start cold and cloudy with some snow flurries likely, with maybe somthing heavier for a time over central hills. Eastern Scotland will be damp and cold. Towards Central England and the South East it will be cold and overcast.

I would just like to stress there is alot of uncertainty as to how far North this system will get, at the moment i think it will strech from Southampton area/ across much of Wales and turning patchy across Ireland. The snow is likely to be heavy for a time, the system is likely to begin to turn patchy and weaken towards dawn on Wednesday. Ahead of the system there is likely to be some wintry showers across Central England/Towards the South East and Northern England, but at the moment i dont think these are any cause for concern.

Wednesday the main band will weaken with snow is effecting Wales and the South of England, it may just make it into Central England.

However there is alot of uncertainty about tomorrows event and into Wednesday, but this is how it looks to me and the moment. This forecast is subject to change and i will try to update it tonight.

Weather Warning: Snow is likely to effect the hills of Northern England through-out the day, giving a covering of 10-15cm mybe 20cm locally.

Weather Warning: ICE: Where any snow has began to thaw, ice is likely to be a widespread problem as tempertures dip to freezing or just below.

Weather Watch: An Atlantic system will start to move in from the South West, this is likely to bring some heavy snow towards the South-West/Most areas of Wales and maybe Central England for a time. Snow is likely to be heavy at times, with falls of 2-5cm across low lying areas with 10-15cm (20cm locally) across higher routes. Winds are likely to be gusty at times, so blizzards condtions are likely more so over higher routes.

Posted

oo temps have dropped of from +4 down to +1 not bad in an hour. Still waiting for some advice got to go in a min

kaz x

cancel that i will read the above post

Edited by kaz

Posted

oo temps have dropped of from +4 down to +1 not bad in an hour. Still waiting for some advice got to go in a min

kaz x

I think its due to move in mid morning tomorrow, so should be ok tonight.

With the caveat of ice as per normal.

Thats what seems to be suggested on the Met Office and with the BBC

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

My personal view is that N Wiltshire is too far West for the easterly stuff, too far north for the frontal events from the south, too far south for any northerly streamers and too far east for any coastal events ha ha .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

snowmobile.jpg

It'll snow for ya... if anything you guys further east should be less marginal!

Keep smiling laugh.gif

You need to turn your heating up! lol. Although icicles suggest a thaw has taken place, none of that nonsense here! wink.gif

Although the snow is falling off the tree a little. But no dripping anywhere!

Not sure re the wind direction.

Only a thaw on roof because our heating is so high! I am so ill from holiday. I clubed it and got hammered every night as well as skiing all day haha.

Insulation of this house is terrible. rolleyes.gif

Posted

Only a thaw on roof because our heating is so high! I am so ill from holiday. I clubed it and got hammered every night as well as skiing all day haha.

Insulation of this house is terrible. rolleyes.gif

Isn't that the done thing? Not to mention the odd beer at lunch :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Just noticed its dropped 0.5 a degree since I got home... now 1.4c.....

I'm off now - hoping for MAJOR upgrade - ie definate 1000% chance of snow here for when I get home later! ..As if!

Bye for now. xx

Posted

Steady 0.1C here all morning with steady light snow. Dew point falling slightly.

Posted

Just noticed its dropped 0.5 a degree since I got home... now 1.4c.....

I'm off now - hoping for MAJOR upgrade - ie definate 1000% chance of snow here for when I get home later! ..As if!

Bye for now. xx

I can 100% say you won't have a 1000% chance of snow, but would a tenth of that do?

clap.gif

Posted

I remember the last time I went skiing in Austria, I got so bladded the first night,I couldn't actual ski the following day (what a bl00y waste), it's certaintly a fine balancing act when you go on a ski holiday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I remember the last time I went skiing in Austria, I got so bladded the first night,I couldn't actual ski the following day (what a bl00y waste), it's certaintly a fine balancing act when you go on a ski holiday.

" fine balancing act "

Is why i would have a very wet ass.

Posted

Yes it was an interesting holiday because I had a disagreement with GF so i went on my own this year and well it was great because I went out every night whistling.gif

-0.5c still here and here is a pic of me bladdered on hols and an icicle i just took pic of. Gonna have to lose a few of these pics. whistling.gif

post-8911-12632201177728_thumb.jpg

post-8911-12632202706928_thumb.jpg

Posted

Good times had then, smile.gif

Happy days indeed. that is one of the few tame pics. I am dreading what all the pictures people i met are going to tag me in on facebook.blush.gif

The back of her hand can often sting that is all i'll say....

Edited by mullender83

Posted

AmI going to have a problem with this frontal snow over the next couple of days. Do people think it will get as far north as here and if so how much is progged to fall? I already have about 20+cm . Currently just below 0C (-0.1C).

Thoughts appreciated as need to prepare a few things if it does.

ta.

Posted

Awesome times then Mullender!

Had that a few years ago, was going travelling around the world with my then GF who was from Oz, we split up the day we were flying out so I went alone... best 8 months of my life! :lol:

So, with all the snow tomorrow, who fancies some skiing in the UK newest ski resort... bit low level, but 100% snow sure... Dartmoor!

Hell, its open now. drinks.gif

(Bar is fully stocked)

Posted

AmI going to have a problem with this frontal snow over the next couple of days. Do people think it will get as far north as here and if so how much is progged to fall? I already have about 20+cm . Currently just below 0C (-0.1C).

ta.

I would say for that area around 5cm was forecast but being high ground at a guess i would say maybe 10cm?

Posted

ta.

your in the Cotsworld's..I would say almost certainly...

15cm-30 cm couldl fall..maybe more

Nick.F as put an alert out on Netweather front page

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Awesome times then Mullender!

Had that a few years ago, was going travelling around the world with my then GF who was from Oz, we split up the day we were flying out so I went alone... best 8 months of my life! laugh.gif

So, with all the snow tomorrow, who fancies some skiing in the UK newest ski resort... bit low level, but 100% snow sure... Dartmoor!

Hell, its open now. drinks.gif

(Bar is fully stocked)

I always think that here but problem is how the hell do you get back to the top of hill? walking in ski boots is harsh at best of times...

Whats the aprez ski like matt? drinks.giflaugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Well at least its due to hit us in the evening and morning.

This way the temps will be lower than during the day.

Better than it coming in after a sunny day and hitting us at 1pm.

Posted

I always think that here but problem is how the hell do you get back to the top of hill? walking in ski boots is harsh at best of times...

Whats the aprez ski like matt? drinks.giflaugh.gif

Getting back to the top is indeed a bit of an issue, but I think the solution maybe investing in a snowmobile to pull people back up in. Of course then someone needs to get it back to the bottom, but they are pretty awesome fun to!

Aprez-ski is... quiet round here, think of a North American backwater... or perhaps a small ski village in Norway... :lol:

Posted

Maybe i could get a pasting tomorrow.

:lol:

:lol:

thats your new quote

your going to get pasted tomorrow Jay :lol:

Edited by dogs32