Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Really? we've had light sleet here in East Dorset all morning!

Having just gone out in it (as opposed to looking through my office window ) I was wrong, it is indeed sleet. Small grainy granules mixed in with light drizzle.

Posted

South West England:

Bournemouth

Bristol

Gloucestershire

Poole

S Gloucestershire

Torbay

Wiltshire

Heavy Snow Tue 12 Jan

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of southern and central England and North Wales.

A band of snow will move slowly northeastwards during Tuesday evening and the first part of Wednesday before easing off. Accumulations of 2-5cm are likely in many places through this period, perhaps with 5-10cm locally. The strengthening east to southeast wind is also likely to lead to drifting of snow.

Issued at: 1232 Mon 11 Jan hi.gif

it will pivot and slowly spread S/E albit light by then hi.gif

STRETCHING FROM N.WALES TO THE S/W London

For coastal Dorset I would have felt the sea is still just too warm to give us snow in such marginal conditions. If it rains heavily however the fact that ground is still frozen in many parts could give flash flooding problems.

That said, we have seen over the past weeks just how difficult these conditions are to predict so I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Posted

For coastal Dorset I would have felt the sea is still just too warm to give us snow in such marginal conditions. If it rains heavily however the fact that ground is still frozen in many parts could give flash flooding problems.

That said, we have seen over the past weeks just how difficult these conditions are to predict so I wouldn't be surprised either way.

to start with maybe not,

I reckon N.Devon Somerset,Avon,Bristol and S.Glos will get the heaviest fall's

just A OPINION SO TAKE IT LIGHTLY.

but Im convinced this is going more east as far as West London..

also a 2 day snow event for some....though will probably be light in the second day..

Posted

Interesting the warnings for tomorrow and Wednesday from the METO.

They're more confident of some of the areas in the south west seeing snow, but for Bristol, Gloucs and others it's only a 60% at the mo.

Just saw the latest fax on the Model Output thread for Wednesday and i think the position of the LP system forecast for late Tues/early Wed has changed since yday. Centre is off S.Ireland - i think that indicates that it will spin away from south west, so only really affecting Devon, Somerset, into S.w. wales and ireland - areas of our region further north and east may only see the dregs.

For those of us in the north of the south west (if that makes sense) probably a slight downgrade in terms of snow potential, but maybe hang on to the colder air for longer.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

just watched bbc weather and i think it will miss us...im right down the bottom hope so need to go back to normal..whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

to start with maybe not,

I reckon N.Devon Somerset,Avon,Bristol and S.Glos will get the heaviest fall's

just A OPINION SO TAKE IT LIGHTLY.

but Im convinced this is going more east as far as West London..

also a 2 day snow event for some....though will probably be light in the second day..

Latest BBC would disagree with you, suggesting rain on the N'Devon coast, whereas the south coast gets the snow, highlighted it quite well with the winds coming from a frigid continent with only a short sea track.

10cm widely in Devon and S'Wales with no mention of amounts elsewhere.

Posted

Well goodness knows what's going to happen tomorrow, but I do know that today's forecast dry day has had persistent light sleet/graupel since around 09.30 and, looking at the NW Radar, it's likely to keep going!

Posted

Latest BBC would disagree with you, suggesting rain on the N'Devon coast, whereas the south coast gets the snow, highlighted it quite well with the winds coming from a frigid continent with only a short sea track.

10cm widely in Devon and S'Wales with no mention of amounts elsewhere.

I find that hard to believe, if its snow on the south coast of Devon it will definitely be snow on the north coast as this will have even less sea modification with a flow coming off the land.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well goodness knows what's going to happen tomorrow, but I do know that today's forecast dry day has had persistent light sleet/graupel since around 09.30 and, looking at the NW Radar, it's likely to keep going!

Yes temperature is holding at -0.2c here with light snow grains which looks like white sand on my car.

Posted

I find that hard to believe, if its snow on the south coast of Devon it will definitely be snow on the north coast as this will have even less sea modification with a flow coming off the land.

Maybe a blip with the graphics again?

Spotlight showing snow widely across Devon, but with a gap over the north coast and rather worryingly... 48mph winds!

Whiteout?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

just watched spotlight, misses cornwall hits devon :good:

Posted

hi all.. Well im out with a patient tonight tue and wed.. Im only going to Westward Ho! so only about 13 miles.. looking with great interest at all the posts but still dont have any idear what to expect, so will take everything i need just incase, it is not the snow i had a prob with more the very think ice underneath which thankfully is now starting to thaw. im on my way into work in a while to discuss the further potentional snow fall maybe over the next few day's Saying that the BBC are going with snow tomorrow and rain wed, so what ever falls there will be a rapid thaw. ??

Any info would be greatly recieved for those of us that have to go out thouout the night to reach very vunerable people..

thanks kaz x

Posted

Maybe a blip with the graphics again?

Spotlight showing snow widely across Devon, but with a gap over the north coast and rather worryingly... 48mph winds!

Whiteout?

Theres still alot of uncertainty regarding the low. In 6 hours the NAE went from having this sw of the Cornish coast to then switching this to the sw of Ireland, and then theres the possible development of a shortwave running east along the Channel, this may well develop further.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I still can't believe it's going to happen. It's raining and 1.7c here at the moment :( I won't believe it til it's snowing!

Posted

I still can't believe it's going to happen. It's raining and 1.7c here at the moment :( I won't believe it til it's snowing!

Don't worry about that, as the low and its associated fronts head east they will pull in a se to east flow of drier air with lower dew points from the Continent.

Posted

Don't worry about that, as the low and its associated fronts head east they will pull in a se to east flow of drier air with lower dew points from the Continent.

keeping my fingers crossed then. Will it be that horrible wet snow or lovely dry powder?

Posted

I still can't believe it's going to happen. It's raining and 1.7c here at the moment sad.gif I won't believe it til it's snowing!

Hmm -0.2C here with winds from the ENE although at 0mph

The key is the wind shift to the SE I think which will lower dew points. As ever though so many variables and it could be an egg on face day.

Posted

we have had some superb dumping's of snow from this direction over the year's

Even though I haven't seen this happen for such a long time, I hope nothing as changed.

I can remember so many times of Devon and parts of the West on the news from heavy snow fall from the S/W ..

We do well in this kind of set up while the Easterner's do better from the Beast from the East set up's and the North.

THROUGH THE 70'S AND 80'S LOTS OF S/W SNOW LP'S

1982 was when I received a 1ft of snow from the S/W :(

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Yup, our best snow comes from this situation. No shortage of PPN from the Atlantic! :(

Posted

Has the wind already changed because it is getting colder here and what was wet snow earlier is now quite dry and floaty as well as settling on wet cleared pavements although thats probably because i ran out of salt whistling.gif -0.5c

Posted

Yup, our best snow comes from this situation. No shortage of PPN from the Atlantic! :(

Your need a SKI bike come Wednesday..lol

temp dropping...1.9

Edited by dogs32

Posted

I would love to see it.. I just feel so negative about it! Lol! Guess I'm just nervous... And because I'm depressed about he amount of sludge outside!

I'm not going to look out the window tomorrow evening

.... Not once! I will cry if it's rain! Lol!

Posted

I think temp is dropping, we have steady light snow which is giving us more today in ground values than sunday did drinks.gif

icicles are looking impressive coming off the roof too.

Edited by mullender83