Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

By 6pm heavier snow is into west wales up to swansea way

that's what gfs has down for south wales especially south east wales

12 midnight - heavier snow really gets going over west wales and as far as south east wales including cardiff/newport

Can I book it now please? Do I get an advance for booking early? pardon.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

The 18Z brings the front later on in the day:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs243.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs273.gif

Upper air temps dont seem to be a problem anymore on this. Although the front doesnt push as far NE.

Posted

Between 12 midnight and 6am in the morning the snow storm will do it's worst and be piling up the snow all over south/mid wales - even as far north on the west coast as snowdonia

Posted

I wonder if it will stall over S.Wales?

I guess it's in our favour if it arrives later given the colder temps in the Evening... although it may not make a difference at any time Tomorrow.

Posted

Can I book it now please? Do I get an advance for booking early? pardon.gif

you can have a few more flakes for booking in advance and being a good girl but, i might have to take a few flakes away from you for not helping me get my car out today!

Posted

Between 12 midnight and 6am in the morning the snow storm will do it's worst and be piling up the snow all over south/mid wales - even as far north on the west coast as snowdonia

What time can i expect it to be snowing here?

Posted

Originally about 3pm... might be around 6pm now I think.

Posted

People are getting ahead of themselves Ill be suprised if Cardiff and Swansea see much at all.

Posted

between 6am and midday wednesday - still going fairly strong but slightly dissapating! - cold uppers are entrenching themselves further and further south also

light snow up until midnight - then heavy snow through the night until at least early wednesday afternoon

Posted

Centre of low another 100 miles or so further west than progged previously. 850s all sub 0c, so far...

Posted

People are getting ahead of themselves Ill be suprised if Cardiff and Swansea see much at all.

MetO need to update their warnings then.

Risk of Disruption

Wales:80%Blaenau Gwent80%Caerphilly80%Cardiff80%Merthyr Tydfil80%Newport80%Rhondda Cynon Taff80%Torfaen80%Vale of Glamorgan60%Bridgend60%Carmarthenshire60%Ceredigion60%Monmouthshire60%Neath Port Talbot60%Pembrokeshire60%Powys60%Swansea

Posted

the proviso is that at some point possibly wednesday morning the milder air may well cause the coastal areas to have sleet/rain but that's after the heavy snow over night between 12 - 6am

Posted

between 6am and midday wednesday - still going fairly strong but slightly dissapating! - cold uppers are entrenching themselves further and further south also

light snow up until midnight - then heavy snow through the night until at least early wednesday afternoon

Glad you got your car out Andy.

Looking good so far - am ignoring posters saying no snow for caerdiff/swansea!! V cold in cardiff tonight am shivering despite having the heating on constantly. I would give you a measurement but my son has broken his weather station apparentlydry.gif

Am worried about rain on the back edge washing everything away before we have time to enjoy it - what do you think?

Posted

Not so sure about here in Pontyates to be honest... we'll have to see tomorrow

only 6 miles from the coast

I think we've a good chance if the wind stays coming off the land enough, E/SE, if there's too much S in it, I fear we're doomed...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

There is still snow on the ground in Cardiff longest the snow has stayed around Cardiff in years, I can see snow in Cardiff tommorow evening especialy A48 northwards.

Posted

Glad you got your car out Andy.

Looking good so far - am ignoring posters saying no snow for caerdiff/swansea!! V cold in cardiff tonight am shivering despite having the heating on constantly. I would give you a measurement but my son has broken his weather station apparentlydry.gif

Am worried about rain on the back edge washing everything away before we have time to enjoy it - what do you think?

I think on this event it'll be as marginal as where in cardiff you are - I'm from cardiff originally (born and bred in the heath area) and remember that certain areas closer to say caerphilly mountain did better than others - so it'll be something like that

Blow torch (7 - 8c) south westerlies coming in for friday and saturday - so get those bbqs out and your t - shirts on cause that's what it'll feel like after our record -15s - + extreme winds event along with it too - so from a snowstorm to a hurricane in one jump!!!!!!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I think on this event it'll be as marginal as where in cardiff you are - I'm from cardiff originally (born and bred in the heath area) and remember that certain areas closer to say caerphilly mountain did better than others - so it'll be something like that

Blow torch (7 - 8c) south westerlies coming in for friday and saturday - so get those bbqs out and your t - shirts on cause that's what it'll feel like after our record -15s - + extrem winds event along with it too - so from a snowstorm to a hurricane in one jump!!!!!!

It's going to be odd seeing temps like that this weekend.

I'm so used to the cold/below freezing weather.

Proper wintery though... I prefer it to that mild rain stuff nonono.gif.

It's too early to say with accuracy if the mild will be back for good or for a short time. What do charts suggests at the moment? :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Upper air temps on NAE:

http://expert.weathe...011300_1118.gif

These are looking promising

The NAE targets the heaviest of Snow over SE Wales @ 30h it isnt the first time it has done this...looking very good here:

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/11/basis18/ukuk/prty/10011300_1118.gif

Then the front comes right acrosss:

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/11/basis18/ukuk/prty/10011306_1118.gif

Snow for much of Wales perhaps turning to rain/sleet on its backege on SW coasts:

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/11/basis18/ukuk/prty/10011312_1118.gif

Edited by SnowStorm(Jamie)

Posted

It's going to be odd seeing temps like that this weekend.

I'm so used to the cold/below freezing weather.

Proper wintery though... I prefer it to that mild rain stuff nonono.gif.

It's too early to say with accuracy if the mild will be back for good or for a short time. What do charts suggests at the moment? smile.gif

short stint of mild weather - sorry to be like a stuck record but my mate Joe B - accuweather - suggests a 10 day lull of slightly milder weather (nothing extreme mind - we'll still know it's winter) then we are heading straight back into the freezer (around the 25th Jan) ready for another wintry extravaganza for february possibly until well into march. This is just a stat - not pattern matching - but the great winter of 1947 apparently started around 23rd January - spooky eh!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Upper air temps on NAE:

These are looking promising

The NAE targets the heaviest of Snow over SE Wales @ 30h it isnt the first time it has done this...looking very good here:

Then the front comes right acrosss:

http://expert.weathe...011306_1118.gif

Snow for much of Wales perhaps turning to rain/sleet on its backege on SW coasts:

http://expert.weathe...011312_1118.gif

Early Weds looks great 2m temps wise, cold pushing right back towards the coast- no significant thaw there...

post-7763-12632483809028_thumb.gif

Posted

you can have a few more flakes for booking in advance and being a good girl but, i might have to take a few flakes away from you for not helping me get my car out today!

oh you little tuffy bruce. lol wot about if we make a deal I will help you get it out next time rolleyes.gif and as our friend joe said,, it could be soon.yahoo.gif

Posted

oh you little tuffy bruce. lol wot about if we make a deal I will help you get it out next time rolleyes.gif and as our friend joe said,, it could be soon.yahoo.gif

your on Ali - you can have your Brucie bonus!!!!!!

not sure I want to get stuck again anyway - I've learned my lesson - don't go down black rd once the police have closed the road - silly bugger - missed the sign though cause my gfriend lives on this remote country lane

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Well just checked outside and the car temp is showing 2 degrees above zero. I'm in the Rhymney Valley North of Caerphilly by about 7 miles. Not really thawing outside but very overcast and a little foggy. Was in Cardiff yesterday and saw Roath Park lake completely frozen over and even rarer - the first gritter into my cul de sac for 25 years.

Still got 4 inches of snow in the back garden - not sure what to expect tommorrow (got tickets to the theatre at 19:30 in Cardiff on Tuesday - do I risk it?)