Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

puts grey hairs on ya doesn't it Ali - no not really - beeb are trying to say there may be a little less precip - I'm not convinced yet - the front looks great coming in and the temps and blowing a gale freezin wind are in place - so we wait and follow reports as the front makes it's progress - but it's still all looking good!

Ok...I believe . Is it still meant to be south East wales as well do you know? Probably like trying to find a needle in a hay stack type of questions but I NEED to know. lol

Posted

no it's not - over snow fields under a clear sky temps can get down very low after snow fall

I know, but it seems too soon, the cold usually takes time to build up.

Anyhow, time will tell. :unsure:

Posted

This is part of a report put out by BBC Wales at 8.50 this morning

Drifting snow due to strong winds caused problems on the B4329 between Eglwyswrw and Haverfordwest, over the Preseli Mountains, on Tuesday morning.

A number of vehicles were said to have been stuck in the snow.

The A4086 at Nant Peris in Gwynedd is closed in both directions due to snow between Llanberis and the A498 at Pen y Pass.

The A542 Horseshoe Pass is also shut in both directions due to ice and snow between the B5103 at Llangollen and the A5104 at Llandegla.

Essential services

The Met Office initially issued a severe weather warning on Monday for heavy snow but has now scaled it down to a weather warning.

It expects snow on higher ground but sleet and wintry showers elsewhere on Tuesday afternoon and overnight into Wednesday

Posted

Ok...I believe . Is it still meant to be south East wales as well do you know? Probably like trying to find a needle in a hay stack type of questions but I NEED to know. lol

Yep - south east wales probably the best positioned in this set up

This is part of a report put out by BBC Wales at 8.50 this morning

Drifting snow due to strong winds caused problems on the B4329 between Eglwyswrw and Haverfordwest, over the Preseli Mountains, on Tuesday morning.

A number of vehicles were said to have been stuck in the snow.

The A4086 at Nant Peris in Gwynedd is closed in both directions due to snow between Llanberis and the A498 at Pen y Pass.

The A542 Horseshoe Pass is also shut in both directions due to ice and snow between the B5103 at Llangollen and the A5104 at Llandegla.

Essential services

The Met Office initially issued a severe weather warning on Monday for heavy snow but has now scaled it down to a weather warning.

It expects snow on higher ground but sleet and wintry showers elsewhere on Tuesday afternoon and overnight into Wednesday

Black Road above Pontypridd in Pencoedcae is also closed with 1 and a half foot drifts and a bowl which will trap you with no way out!

Posted

Yep - south east wales probably the best positioned in this set up

Black Road above Pontypridd in Pencoedcae is also closed with 1 and a half foot drifts and a bowl which will trap you with no way out!

Well I will keep my fingers crossed pardon.gif

Posted

Where they getting this downgrading from the met office is still showing a severe weather warning

The BBC are sending out slightly less ppn readings - don't forget boys and girls in Wales mind - The BBC do have a slight bias towards London so if there is nothing falling over London (two flakes of snow and they are running around like the end of the world is nigh) our 20 - 30 cms of snow they don't really care about.

Posted

The BBC are sending out slightly less ppn readings - don't forget boys and girls in Wales mind - The BBC do have a slight bias towards London so if there is nothing falling over London (two flakes of snow and they are running around like the end of the world is nigh) our 20 - 30 cms of snow they don't really care about.

Unless the incoming PPN starts to rapidly die I can't see how we can't get a good fall from this? Places like Rhondda will be worst hit.

I never take much notice of forecasts when it comes to Snow, so unpredictable at best.

Posted

Help needed.

Trying to work out what the winds are like dir/speed for south wales on sunday the 17th. I know its a long way out but any advice would be gratefully received

Light NNE wind by the looks of it.

Posted
Wales could well see the highest snowfall totals and disruptive impacts: with the topography playing a key role in modulating how much snow falls, we could see 15-20cm snow on the high ground rising north of Cardiff and - away from the immediate coast - even 5cm or so in some of the districts actually around Cardiff itself.

The rates will lessen as the night continues, much as per earlier forecast expectations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/weather/ianfergusson/

Posted

What a load of tosh. The fact that millions of people live in, around, or near London, is a reason it has a bias, as well as being Britain's financial centre, it gets attention. Unless of course you expect Pontypridd with a population of less than 35,000 I would suspect, to be the centre of everyone's world when it is snowing, your probably going to see this bias continue.

Posted

What a load of tosh. The fact that millions of people live in, around, or near London, is a reason it has a bias, as well as being Britain's financial centre, it gets attention. Unless of course you expect Pontypridd with a population of less than 35,000 I would suspect, to be the centre of everyone's world when it is snowing, your probably going to see this bias continue.

Sawbridgeworth forcast heavy chance of slappers

Posted

So you've come into our forum for a fight eh!!!!!!! mmmmmmm "Britain's financial GREEDY Centre" oh and Pontypridd has 35,000 of the most discerning people (and the rest of Wales) - we don't suffer stupid life wasting traffic jams and we have lots of lovely country side and open spaces - and I suspect you're on this forum cause you're jealous we're about to get 30cms of snow!!!!!!!!!!!

We're planning to set up a Met Office in Wales - your english one ain't too good anyway (over paid directors on £190,000) and they can't get the weather right to save their lives - we have a pile of guys on this forum that could do a lot better - so expect to see this development in weather forecasting in Wales shortly

Edited by andymusic

Posted

So you've come into our forum for a fight eh!!!!!!! mmmmmmm "Britain's financial GREEDY Centre" oh and Pontypridd has 35,000 of the most discerning people (and the rest of Wales) - we don't suffer stupid life wasting traffic jams and we have lots of lovely country side and open spaces - and I suspect you're on this forum cause you're jealous we're about to get 30cms of snow!!!!!!!!!!!

We're planning to set up a Met Office in Wales - your english one ain't too good anyway (over paid directors on £190,000) and they can't get the weather right to save their lives - we have a pile of guys on this forum that could do a lot better - so expect to see this development in weather forecasting in Wales shortly

Turning to sleet and snow nicely now in bristol channel should hit swansea in about 2 hours

post-4320-12632951197428_thumb.png

Posted

I am on this forum because I enjoy weather and all aspects of it including what is happening in other areas, I have no dislike of your area or country and in fact quite agree it is wonderful in the many places I have visited in Wales.

As for being jealous of your anticipated snow, nope, again interested in weather and the impact of it, irrespective of where.

What I do point out, is a bias towards London and the South East is becuase of the millions living in those regions, as opposed to anything else.

Posted

Yawn.............heard it all before :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

I was a bit premature about the snow in West Wales. Your all right. Looks like it was down to drifing on high ground.

Jamie and Sian on RadioWales said snow and cars abandonded in Pembrokeshire. pardon.gif

Looks good for North of Cardiff not sure if it will penertrate far enough in for me North of Abergavenny

Posted

I am on this forum because I enjoy weather and all aspects of it including what is happening in other areas, I have no dislike of your area or country and in fact quite agree it is wonderful in the many places I have visited in Wales.

As for being jealous of your anticipated snow, nope, again interested in weather and the impact of it, irrespective of where.

What I do point out, is a bias towards London and the South East is becuase of the millions living in those regions, as opposed to anything else.

fair enough - we'll always welcome visitors to Wales and the land that offers a more relaxed way of life! and enjoy yourself watching us enjoy our snow!

I was a bit premature about the snow in West Wales. Your all right. Looks like it was down to drifing on high ground.

Jamie and Sian on RadioWales said snow and cars abandonded in Pembrokeshire. pardon.gif

Looks good for North of Cardiff not sure if it will penertrate far enough in for me North of Abergavenny

Have faith - Abergavenny will get hit too

Posted

So what about places north of London such as the West Midlands, where I'm originally from?

That is a populated place yet it's the forgotten region of the UK in most respects as is Wales. I agree with the London/South East bias, even down to the footy. :cc_confused::cold:

Back to the snow however, looking good. Some intense PPN on the radar. Batten down the hatches folks. :mellow:

Posted

fair enough - we'll always welcome visitors to Wales and the land that offers a more relaxed way of life! and enjoy yourself watching us enjoy our snow!

I am sure your fellow Welsh counterparts will be more than impressed with your attitude and responses. Which rather than be welcoming, is hostile and agressive and from NAO abusive, when it is completly unnesscessary.

I have made no attack on Wales, nor your town in fact quite accepting of Wales's beauty, simply pointing out London and the counties around it, will always have a bias in the media for the harsh but simple truths of the millions living there and it being a HQ for so many companies.

Enjoy the snow.