Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I think that this will be dissapointing for most South Walians - but this was always expected despite Media & METO Hype. The cold air over us just isn't cold enough to support a widspread snow event. Downgrades already for West Wales - expect these for most of coastal South Wales - although high ground over 200m will see snow. As I said 'as expected'

Edited by Jonathan Evans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

At last he's/they've worked out poor old Hereforedshire has little in common with the WestMidlands. Come the ruddy dawn...wallbash.gif

I have a simlar problem. I'm in Wales but throw a stone and it would land in Herefordshire. I never know which forecast to look at.

Posted

Hey guys long time lurker first time poster so go easy on me please :)

Just a quick question.

Looking at the various radars there seems to be very heavy PPN moving along the Cornwall/Devon coast.

If it keeps on this track will it intensify as it moves into and up the Bristol Channel towards SE Wales?

Good luck for every one, it's going to be a long day.

Posted

I have a simlar problem. I'm in Wales but throw a stone and it would land in Herefordshire. I never know which forecast to look at.

same here live right on the welsh border ...(the proper side mind :) ) ...I hate being drawn under the blanket that id west midlands

Not looking forwards to my drive to Bala in the morning though ...could be hectic

Posted

same here live right on the welsh border ...(the proper side mind whistling.gif ) ...I hate being drawn under the blanket that id west midlands

Not looking forwards to my drive to Bala in the morning though ...could be hectic

Wind picking up. +0.4c It's bitter.

BTW perhaps the BBC and Gov ought to use "The Marches" more often, although West Country does it for me. Still, can't wait to get back to Borth...drinks.gif

Posted

Hey guys long time lurker first time poster so go easy on me please smile.gif

Just a quick question.

Looking at the various radars there seems to be very heavy PPN moving along the Cornwall/Devon coast.

If it keeps on this track will it intensify as it moves into and up the Bristol Channel towards SE Wales?

Good luck for every one, it's going to be a long day.

looks like it's pretty heavy anyway already but any further pepping up will be gladly accepted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

gusting 50-60mph here 1.8C. Windchill must be -10C

Posted

Just been out in it myself and the wind is really going for it and it's a cold wind - car temp was about 1 so wind chill would be at least about -5 and the front is looking mega - this is gonna be a memorable couple of days for south wales

Posted

gusting 50-60mph here 1.8C. Windchill must be -10C

Windchill here -4.8C Temperature 0.3C Dewpoint -1.9C. wind gusting to 16mph. On course for snow up here in the Rhondda unless dew points and temperature rise as the system gets nearer...

Posted

Windchill here -4.8C Temperature 0.3C Dewpoint -1.9C. wind gusting to 16mph. On course for snow up here in the Rhondda unless dew points and temperature rise as the system gets nearer...

not likely mate!

we will become the snow capital of europe for a couple of days shortly!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Hi all

Before i give an update on the weather situation can i please ask people not to be agressive towards each other on the forum.

Our best information at the moment will come from the English forum.

The sw is currently having percipitation and by monitoring that from the live reports they give will allow us to nowcast better.

Being prejadice against anyone for any reason ( including being from England) is very wrong. We have the same interest ( Weather, snow)

I thought we were better than that. If you dislike someone ignore them or block them, lets kep this forum a fun place. Plus moderators can ban you and we all want to be here for tonight.

The Weather now

Well forecast i made last night still looks good now (12z)

Looking firstly at the fax charts.

The 06z tuesday analysis chart shows the system and a occluded front to the west and warm front to the east. The occlusion is working along the warm front.

The warm sector at 06z was between the warm and cold front but we do not need to worry as that will be a occlusion well before time it reaches us.

The fronts have slightly slowd from what was shown yesterday but this could mean SE Wales getting a big upgrade, I think all of South Wales will see some snow with slight accumalations almost down to sea level but further east the better. By six AM the front is still effecting wales, see fax and NAE charts.

Percipitation amounts have changed overnight for SW England and Far West of Wales, but not alot of change for SE wales, if anything slightly better.

This is a changing situation and what happens in Devon will give us an idea for us as it creeps northwards.

Looks good from swansea Eastwards in my opinion at this time

Below are fax charts for 06z today and midnight tonight

post-5585-12632985287128_thumb.jpgpost-5585-12632985408728_thumb.jpg

Then below the latest NAE charts for 06z and 12z tomorrow

hope you all get some snow

i have heard some roads in Newtown area being closed due to drifting snow ( not snowing there just winds)

post-5585-12632985544828_thumb.jpg

post-5585-12632985723828_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi all

Before i give an update on the weather situation can i please ask people not to be agressive towards each other on the forum.

Our best information at the moment will come from the English forum.

The sw is currently having percipitation and by monitoring that from the live reports they give will allow us to nowcast better.

Being prejadice against anyone for any reason ( including being from England) is very wrong. We have the same interest ( Weather, snow)

I thought we were better than that. If you dislike someone ignore them or block them, lets kep this forum a fun place. Plus moderators can ban you and we all want to be here for tonight.

The Weather now

Well forecast i made last night still looks good now (12z)

Looking firstly at the fax charts.

The 06z tuesday analysis chart shows the system and a occluded front to the west and warm front to the east. The occlusion is working along the warm front.

The warm sector at 06z was between the warm and cold front but we do not need to worry as that will be a occlusion well before time it reaches us.

The fronts have slightly slowd from what was shown yesterday but this could mean SE Wales getting a big upgrade, I think all of South Wales will see some snow with slight accumalations almost down to sea level but further east the better. By six AM the front is still effecting wales, see fax and NAE charts.

Percipitation amounts have changed overnight for SW England and Far West of Wales, but not alot of change for SE wales, if anything slightly better.

This is a changing situation and what happens in Devon will give us an idea for us as it creeps northwards.

Looks good from swansea Eastwards in my opinion at this time

Below are fax charts for 06z today and midnight tonight

post-5585-12632985287128_thumb.jpgpost-5585-12632985408728_thumb.jpg

Then below the latest NAE charts for 06z and 12z tomorrow

hope you all get some snow

i have heard some roads in Newtown area being closed due to drifting snow ( not snowing there just winds)

Sorry Pyrotech - I understand the above comments are probably directed towards me - I was just getting a bit annoyed at the way the bbc forecasters over look our situation when we are having a dumping of snow but when london is potentially gonna get something - all hell breaks loose - I do apologise for any bad feelings - I'm normally a mild mannered person who wouldn't get annoyed with anyone - but that just got my goat - Once again, Sorry!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

sleet reported in Plymouth with the temperature dropping.

Posted

same here live right on the welsh border ...(the proper side mind whistling.gif ) ...I hate being drawn under the blanket that id west midlands

It's strange being on the border. It's very blurred. Lots of Welsh speaking with West Country accents and vice versa. I think we all see ourselves as 'Border People' the mix is good.

The only difference i saw yesterday between the Welsh and English was that Monmouthsire hadn't gritted but as I reached a small bridge going over to Herefordshire the road was gritted. Driving out of the village you can cross the boarder a couple of times depending on which roads are open and it can be a marked difference in road condistions between counties.

Good luck on the drive to Bala. Not sure if my car will be going too far.

Posted

No not aimed at anyone just a general comment, i just think we are all better than that. I understand the se england biased ways but learnt to live with it.

Yes according to sw forum Sleet at Plymouth which is right on the coast so its looking pretty damn good

Posted

No not aimed at anyone just a general comment, i just think we are all better than that. I understand the se england biased ways but learnt to live with it.

Yes according to sw forum Sleet at Plymouth which is right on the coast so its looking pretty damn good

Let's just enjoy the snow eh!

Posted

so there might be a little hope yet for me after all

i do hope so but cant see it

Posted

definitely hope for a lot of coastal spots in Wales - the precip is looking extremely heavy - that'll help with evaporative cooling and drag the temps down!

Posted

interesting times. The wind is gusting from the East and the dew point is dropping...Snow looks about certain for us here in the Rhondda. Maybe time to get the shovels ready. lol...The drifting will be quite severe if this wind keeps up too....

Posted

definitely hope for a lot of coastal spots in Wales - the precip is looking extremely heavy - that'll help with evaporative cooling and drag the temps down!

been reading the SW thread they are reporting temps are dropping fast as it gets near them hope that is the case

gives more hope if does

Posted

So...straw poll

Are we more optimistic or pessimistic (sic) as our time draws closer?

After last Wed anything on top of what i have at the moment may give lying snow over a foot

I've discovered a new inverse law

As snow anticipation increases amount of work decreases