Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

ohmy.gif The wheelie bin lid - why didn't I think of that pardon.gif

Genius !!

I'll have to give it a go when the kids are at school tomorrow!! It will be their first day back since last Wednesday (if they go back)

Same here my kids go back for the first time for a week tomorrow,lets hope we can all go out on our recycling lids and have fun lolyahoo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

ohmy.gif The wheelie bin lid - why didn't I think of that pardon.gif

Genius !!

I'll have to give it a go when the kids are at school tomorrow!! It will be their first day back since last Wednesday (if they go back)

You can even get the traditional bit of rope through the hinge eyelet holes! I beat several "For Sale" signs, a bit of tarp and a brace of posh wooden / three ski steerable sledges on it too! :)

Laz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Latest Beeb forecast looking quite promising for here. Not as heavy as the SW and Wales has seen, but snow arriving to the SW of London at about 1ish and continuing through the night. COuld be a tricky rush hour tomorrow. From the graphics it looks like we could see 2-5cm's at the most, although they could be underplaying it. Snow seems to move north and east very slowly through Wednesday so light snow could linger for much of the day. Temps getting up to 6c in Plymouth tomorrow, so a rapid thaw for the SW but not getting above 1c in the SE all day according to the Beeb. So snow will stick around for a while. Good stuff!

Posted

so do people think LONDON could actually get snow for once. (I know it sounds strange). But i could be our turn. Hopefully. Everything crossed biggrin.gif

Well Im not a million miles from you and already had at least three half decent snowfalls this winter. December 17/18, December 21st and Jan 5/6.....oh and 3 hours overnight Jan 10/11....thats four. Didnt it snow in London in October as well ? I would say we're not doing too bad at all good.gif

Posted

Well Im not a million miles from you and already had at least three half decent snowfalls this winter. December 17/18, December 21st and Jan 5/6.....oh and 3 hours overnight Jan 10/11....thats four. Didnt it snow in London in October as well ? I would say we're not doing too bad at all good.gif

October? I think that was 2008.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

precipitation hasn't moved east much on netweather radar since about 2pm - oh hurry up! still v v light snow here

Posted

October? I think that was 2008.

Correct. My apologies, its an age thing, even so we havent done bad for snow in this part of London at least this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

i dont think it will reach the south east, sorry guys its stalled over wiltshire:diablo:

seems to have stopped at the isle of wight wall - bugger

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

i dont think it will reach the south east, sorry guys its stalled over wiltshire:diablo:

There's a chunk just south of Eastbourne and the whole front is rotating around Wales i'd say. I have the feeling it'll swing into us.

Posted

I'm pretty sure it will all turn to rain tomorrow. Sorry peeps

Jan

But can we have some rush hour chaos first please :drunk:

Posted

Has the south east re-attached to the rest of the UK after the heavy snowfall?

Far from it. Haven't been able to get out my bungalow due to 4ft drifts against front and back doors. Not looking forward to another couple of feet tonight. May have to call in the coastguard to airlift me out the skylight. Problem is its got 2 foot of snow on it and cant open it. In a word im screwed. S.O.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

I thought it was pivoting and our snow would come from fance ie coming up from the south from France instead of from the west. Probably completely wrong but sure someone will soon tell me if I am ( hope I'm not lol )

Posted

Barnet was only really affected by 2 of those events. It has been very frustrating around here lately, the last stuff to fall and lie was last Tuesday night. A north easterly really is no good for this area, especially any showers making it far enough in land.

Still can't complain too much. 2 events is better than the one we are usually rationed every year. :drunk:

Posted

Far from it. Haven't been able to get out my bungalow due to 4ft drifts against front and back doors. Not looking forward to another couple of feet tonight. May have to call in the coastguard to airlift me out the skylight. Problem is its got 2 foot of snow on it and cant open it. In a word im screwed. S.O.S

Actually LS, I think we'll just leave you there. speak to you in April

Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Barnet was only really affected by 2 of those events. It has been very frustrating around here lately, the last stuff to fall and lie was last Tuesday night. A north easterly really is no good for this area, especially any showers making it far enough in land.

Still can't complain too much. 2 events is better than the one we are usually rationed every year. :(

And I was hardly affected by either of those!!! Missed me by a whisker or fell as sleet here.

EDIT: And looking at the latest radar runs, the ppn has hardly moved at all, while it is also decaying, so I am suddenly getting a whiff of deja vu about all this and it is going to fizzle out...I hope I am wrong.

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

For those wondering where the PPN will come from, take a look at the North Atlantic Precip charts. Run through and it shows you what to expect. Also view Europe Satelitte from earlier shows the structure well and movement of low.?

Posted

That was in 2008. I will never forget that night. Worst weather in London I have ever seen. I was at the Crystal Palace vs Forest game at Selhurst Park – a grim venue at the best of times. I don't think any of us Forest fans could quite believe how cold it was in October. The first half was just raw cold, and the quality of football dire. Second half the rain came in on a swirling wind, before turning readily to a particularly nasty brand of sleet. No-one could quite believe their eyes. At the end there was some defensive blunder by Palace and we bagged an injury time goal to win a game 2-1 that both sides deserved to lose, which sent the freezing cold visiting supporters into raptures. Everyone bombed down the pub to celebrate and warm up. Then someone said: "It's cr*ping it down with snow outside," and sure enough it was. By the time we got on the train back to town, there was an inch of the worst quality wet snow I have ever seen, it was still snowing and, as it was October in south London, no-one knew why.

Worst weather ever, and probably the worst game ever.

But at least Forest won.

Posted

I know i am clutching at straws here, but heavier precipitation has appeared in the bottom left hand corner of my netweather radar zoom. the start of the swivel perhaps? i'm so sad aren't i?

Posted

This rain is going to wash away my lying snow when it hits isn't it!? ;-(

Why are you saying rain? We are cold enough for snow. Its been snowing in SW England. It will snow here.