Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

take a look at the invent at 17.30 hours...seems to be a wee gap (can you tell i am an expert) in the sw system ...what is this all about?

http://www.metoffice...ent/weathermap/

If you select the temperature layer you can see a sub zero band stretching down to the Kent coast in between the M20 & M2... could be the areas that get the snow if that cold corridor is still there by the time the front comes through.

0C at Langdon Bay with gritters going past outside here in central Folkestone. And is that convection fed showers off of Dungeness?

Laz

Edited by Lazarus

Posted

Well whoever gets snow have fun, it dont bode well from where I am, radar reading makes it look like its diminishing towards S E London ... http://www.raintoday.co.uk/#key

well theres lots of stuff still coming in from the SW and the wind is coming from the SE so as the front collides it may still hit us here in SE London :)

Posted

Hi all, left work in Reigate at 5pm, on route to home (just south of Guildford) and we had light snow all the way :) still snowing lightly here at home at 6.15pm, so maybe a sign of things to come later tonight. Temp currently 0.4 and dropping.

Posted

well theres lots of stuff still coming in from the SW and the wind is coming from the SE so as the front collides it may still hit us here in SE London smile.gif

Thx lets hope so unsure.gif

Posted

Poor old Yamkin, even when he's not here he still gets the mick taken! I'll stick up for the lad though as I live a couple of miles away from him. He's never reported any snow that hasn't actually been falling but I do think he exaggerates the levels of snow falling a little. Often I'd find myself looking out at moderate snow but he'd regard it as heavy etc Maybe it was heavier in Shirley...who knows. He did also point out, eventually, that over the weekend when it did pretty much snow all the time (albeit VERY light) that it wasn't actually settling and the thaw was well in place. Had all that snow settled, then I don't think we'd have gained any more then an inch or 2 at BEST, it was that light.

Anyway, I'm stuck in west london again tonight, so not the best place for any settling snow. I'll be interested to see what develops elsewhere and will definitely look forward to Yamkins input!

Posted

Take a look at the latest Met invent PPN layer... then this Cherbourg webcam!

http://www.ville-cherbourg.fr/uk/seaside/cherbourg_marina/chantereyne_marina/an_exceptional_nautical_p/webcam.asp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Hi all, left work in Reigate at 5pm, on route to home (just south of Guildford) and we had light snow all the way :clap: still snowing lightly here at home at 6.15pm, so maybe a sign of things to come later tonight. Temp currently 0.4 and dropping.

None of this seems to be showing up on the radar, so I guess there is ppn building ahead of the front...All good news I guess.

Posted

Poor old Yamkin, even when he's not here he still gets the mick taken! I'll stick up for the lad though as I live a couple of miles away from him. He's never reported any snow that hasn't actually been falling but I do think he exaggerates the levels of snow falling a little. Often I'd find myself looking out at moderate snow but he'd regard it as heavy etc Maybe it was heavier in Shirley...who knows. He did also point out, eventually, that over the weekend when it did pretty much snow all the time (albeit VERY light) that it wasn't actually settling and the thaw was well in place. Had all that snow settled, then I don't think we'd have gained any more then an inch or 2 at BEST, it was that light.

Anyway, I'm stuck in west london again tonight, so not the best place for any settling snow. I'll be interested to see what develops elsewhere and will definitely look forward to Yamkins input!

always look forward to his posts :clap: a bit of light-hearted banter to stop the stress of will it/wont it should be ok :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Take a look at the latest Met invent PPN layer... then this Cherbourg webcam!

http://www.ville-che...al_p/webcam.asp

Awesome.......just taken a peek and I am not sure if it is the webcam but I am sure I saw a flash .........anyone can confirm chances of thudersnow....

Posted

Wow blizzard conditions huh ? Some people will be enjoying that !!!

That's heading straight for us with a long sea track! :clap:

Awesome.......just taken a peek and I am not sure if it is the webcam but I am sure I saw a flash .........anyone can confirm chances of thudersnow....

Looks like you may be right!

http://blitzortung.tmt.de/image_b_eu.png?1261668213

Posted

None of this seems to be showing up on the radar, so I guess there is ppn building ahead of the front...All good news I guess.

Thats what I can't make out, been watching the radar all day, nothing showing then step outside at 5pm, and there was the snow, at 1st thought it was just "blowing in the wind" so to speak, but this continued all 28miles home, and its def coming from the clouds !

www.raintoday.co.uk does now actually show this shower if you zoom in over Guildford though.

Posted

anyone in IOW / Southampton/ Portsmouth on here who can confirm what's falling from sky? Radar showing quiet a bit of activity there right now !

Posted

OMG 6-8 inches in Cardiff my mum is mad going to bingo.

6-8'' really? What time did it start snowing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

anyone else noticed the new colour key for the precip type cc_confused.gif looks quite interesting for later on.

Edited by MikeStanton

Posted

Does anyone know what to expect in Brighton tonight and if snow what time? keeping my fingers crossed we get 1 more hit before the milder weatherwhistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

looking at the invent radar looks as thoguh Cherbourg is in for a right pasting in a mo -