Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Poor old Yamkin, even when he's not here he still gets the mick taken! I'll stick up for the lad though as I live a couple of miles away from him. He's never reported any snow that hasn't actually been falling but I do think he exaggerates the levels of snow falling a little. Often I'd find myself looking out at moderate snow but he'd regard it as heavy etc Maybe it was heavier in Shirley...who knows. He did also point out, eventually, that over the weekend when it did pretty much snow all the time (albeit VERY light) that it wasn't actually settling and the thaw was well in place. Had all that snow settled, then I don't think we'd have gained any more then an inch or 2 at BEST, it was that light.

Anyway, I'm stuck in west london again tonight, so not the best place for any settling snow. I'll be interested to see what develops elsewhere and will definitely look forward to Yamkins input!

We are only pulling his leg. He makes me chuckle, old Yammers. Anyway, looking at Dan Corbett's forecast on the TV just now, we are probably the BEST placed in the capital for a chuck of lying snow tonight. But obviously as the Beeb have now forecast it it will be 6ft drifts down Croydon way and nothing for the good burgers of W5.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Poor old Yamkin, even when he's not here he still gets the mick taken! I'll stick up for the lad though as I live a couple of miles away from him. He's never reported any snow that hasn't actually been falling but I do think he exaggerates the levels of snow falling a little. Often I'd find myself looking out at moderate snow but he'd regard it as heavy etc Maybe it was heavier in Shirley...who knows. He did also point out, eventually, that over the weekend when it did pretty much snow all the time (albeit VERY light) that it wasn't actually settling and the thaw was well in place. Had all that snow settled, then I don't think we'd have gained any more then an inch or 2 at BEST, it was that light.

Anyway, I'm stuck in west london again tonight, so not the best place for any settling snow. I'll be interested to see what develops elsewhere and will definitely look forward to Yamkins input!

Yes it is funny, but i will say that I don't live that far away either and he is higher up and its nearly always snowing here when he reports it and if it isn't it soon starts. It is just because he reports it in red bold caps :lol:

Actually, it is snowing very lightly here in lowercase black normal :D

Edited by dubmuffin

Posted

always look forward to his posts :lol: a bit of light-hearted banter to stop the stress of will it/wont it should be ok :D

I agree and he always takes it on the chin.

Would be quite funny if tonight takes a sudden twist and we get loads of snow! I have no reason to think this, but I do feel that we'll see another fall of snow before winters out. I'm thinking a foot would be nice!

Posted

Thats what I can't make out, been watching the radar all day, nothing showing then step outside at 5pm, and there was the snow, at 1st thought it was just "blowing in the wind" so to speak, but this continued all 28miles home, and its def coming from the clouds !

www.raintoday.co.uk does now actually show this shower if you zoom in over Guildford though.

As I posted earlier the Met Office Invent radar showed a shower over Reigate on the 5pm feed

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any type.

looking at the invent radar looks as thoguh Cherbourg is in for a right pasting in a mo -

http://www.ville-cherbourg.fr/uk/seaside/cherbourg_marina/chantereyne_marina/an_exceptional_nautical_p/webcam.asp?mode=popup

Posted

Take a look at the latest Met invent PPN layer... then this Cherbourg webcam!

http://www.ville-che...al_p/webcam.asp

Whoops Cherbourg getting royally smashed with snow by the looks of that! You have to hand it to the Atlantic, when it wants to rain/snow it comes up with the goods.

Yes it is funny, but i will say that I don't live that far away either and he is higher up and its nearly always snowing here when he reports it and if it isn't it soon starts. It is just because he reports it in red bold caps :lol:

Actually, it is snowing very lightly here in lowercase black normal :D

He he.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Well all I must leave the forum now (no internet where I am staying) and so all I can say good luck and lets hope heh to all of us.....

I will be resorting to lampost watch duty tonight - if my mobile phone internet works I apologise now for the technical views (not that I was an expert anyway) and stooopid questions......crazy.gif

Posted

We are only pulling his leg. He makes me chuckle, old Yammers. Anyway, looking at Dan Corbett's forecast on the TV just now, we are probably the BEST placed in the capital for a chuck of lying snow tonight. But obviously as the Beeb have now forecast it it will be 6ft drifts down Croydon way and nothing for the good burgers of W5.

I'll just have to travel back to croydon tomorrow! The problem I've found with the snow round here is that the pavements are so dangerous! With so many people walking around on fairly limited snow depth, it just turns to pure ice. I was quite pleased being able to walk freely around today and not risking my life deciding if i'd be safer on the pavement or trying my luck on the road.

Back in Purley, as there was much more depth it was far easier to walk around in. Can feel like travelling between 2 different countries sometimes during these spells!

Posted

Bugger! Remember.. this is coastal, sea level France! On the way up the channel too! :lol:

http://www.cabourg.n...eteocam/cam.php

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/LFRC.html

Edited by Lazarus

Posted

Remote, extreme lamp post watching! Oh no! A whole new side to my addiction! :)

Now that's what I want! Come on snow, don't let us down :)

Not bad for a ramping newbie! Even if i say so myself! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Remote, extreme lamp post watching! Oh no! A whole new side to my addiction! :rofl:

lol we have to get it where we can :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Does anyone know what to expect in Brighton tonight and if snow what time? keeping my fingers crossed we get 1 more hit before the milder weatherwhistling.gif

I'm not sure but i'm in the Preston Park area and i've just see a gritter go past!

I don't know whether Brighton & Hove Council has had notification from the MetO or not ??

Posted

I'm not sure but i'm in the Preston Park area and i've just see a gritter go past!

I don't know whether Brighton & Hove Council has had notification from the MetO or not ??

Well i am from Mile oak and they have gritted all the roads and pavements today,which is very strange as they have never done the pavements before,so maybe they do know something loldrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Even if we're lucky enough to get a good dumping I thought I read somewhere that nightime temps tomorrow night were 8c. Does that sound right? I'm probably mistaken though, seems a bit of a jump in one night!!!

Posted

Even if we're lucky enough to get a good dumping I thought I read somewhere that nightime temps tomorrow night were 8c. Does that sound right? I'm probably mistaken though, seems a bit of a jump in one night!!!

I heard that by the weekend temps could be 7 to 8 c,but not tomorrow night,but then again i could be wrong ,lol.drinks.gif

Posted

Well i am from Mile oak and they have gritted all the roads and pavements today,which is very strange as they have never done the pavements before,so maybe they do know something loldrinks.gif

If they are doing the pavements something could be happening.. where I am (off Ditchling Rd) - they don't bother with the roads or the pavements.. !!

Before the thaw started and the snow turned wet, we couldn't tell what was road and what was pavement and now the road is compact snow and ice.. only used by extreme sledgers!!

... snow dance coming up - I want more!!! drinks.gif

Posted

If they are doing the pavements something could be happening.. where I am (off Ditchling Rd) - they don't bother with the roads or the pavements.. !!

Before the thaw started and the snow turned wet, we couldn't tell what was road and what was pavement and now the road is compact snow and ice.. only used by extreme sledgers!!

Well the last lot of snow we had just before xmas ,they didnt gritt the roads either,maybe they have learnt lol,but maybe something is happening i suppose we wont know till we wake up,thats if i go to sleep as i may be lamp post watching most of the night.And yes i want more too .drinks.gif

Posted

Oooh! More sledging! :) Lunch break at Farthing Common won't be the same without lashings of snow! Where's me wheelie bin lid? :crazy:

Edited by Lazarus

Posted

I'll just have to travel back to croydon tomorrow! The problem I've found with the snow round here is that the pavements are so dangerous! With so many people walking around on fairly limited snow depth, it just turns to pure ice. I was quite pleased being able to walk freely around today and not risking my life deciding if i'd be safer on the pavement or trying my luck on the road.

Back in Purley, as there was much more depth it was far easier to walk around in. Can feel like travelling between 2 different countries sometimes during these spells!

I think it must have been because Ealing Council thought they'd be helping by trying to grit it. Still very icy/slushy round my way. I actually went to Hanger Hill Park on Thursday and was truly stunned to find 3 inches plus of fresh, dry powder. I think we actually did pretty well, but away from the parks the grit and the pedestrians turned the snow to sheet ice readily.

Fancy 4cm tonight as a real surprise bonus. Not sure many people are expecting anything at all who knows some may actually get more than last week.

No. The warm up comes at the weekend.

so do people think LONDON could actually get snow for once. (I know it sounds strange). But i could be our turn. Hopefully. Everything crossed :crazy:

Didn't you cop 6 inches last week Barnet?!

Posted

Oooh! More sledging! biggrin.gif Lunch break at Farthing Common won't be the same without lashings of snow! Where's me wheelie bin lid? clap.gif

ohmy.gif The wheelie bin lid - why didn't I think of that pardon.gif

Genius !!

I'll have to give it a go when the kids are at school tomorrow!! It will be their first day back since last Wednesday (if they go back)