Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

It shouldn't bee too long before it gets to you in Newbury, the ppn seems to be building very slightly ahead of the main band in Dorset and Southern Wilts at the mo, while the Southern end of the front also seems to be swinging in a NE'ly direction of the N coast of France.

Has to be said that things aren't looking at all bad right now, we just need the front to keep moving.

yep it certainly does - and I am torn betweeen discussion threads ....hoewever I am in Brighton all week again (havent been home since the snow last week) ..so hence am looking out here. Problem is whilst it would be fabulous I do want to get home this weekend!

Posted

Hi Don

you should have a wee goosey gander at the SW discussion thread. apparently Met O did the same for one particular region. Downgraded it and heh ho now they have loads of snow falling. Bristol has been having a bit so it is further east than we may all think.....if my geography is right....it does seem to be encroaching a bit further in on the hills too.......so lose not faith yet...acute.gif

Well, lets hope we get something good out of this. Was hoping to get a bit more snow (especially after the weekend fiasco) before this cold spell bids us farewell towards the weekend.

:whistling:

Posted

No more snow yet for me please. Every time my daughter tries to go back to uni it snows and my son has an A level exam tommorrow and if we get big snow falls there will be no teachers in to watch over the students who get there for exams.

I wish mother nature would wait a couple of weeks before doing this to us again.

Posted

No more snow yet for me please. Every time my daughter tries to go back to uni it snows and my son has an A level exam tommorrow and if we get big snow falls there will be no teachers in to watch over the students who get there for exams.

I wish mother nature would wait a couple of weeks before doing this to us again.

Has she made it back yet SQ1? I'm still here until Saturday lol :) It should ideally be at UEA already :)

Edited by staplehurst

Posted

I see the 12z NAE increase the precip for most of our region, before it was 1-3cm widely now it seems 2-5cm is more likely. :)

Now that is good news!!

I take it you mean London aswell and not just kent or the coast?

Posted

Really looking forward to tonight, hopefully it will be a nice good bye present from this long cold spell. :-)

Gosh this time last week it was all about to start...we had no idea what lay ahead.

About 8pm the lights up and down our high street flashed on and off and blizzards started, my other half ran up the shops to get matches and candles.

Then the power went out for a while, by the time we slept we already had a few cms of snow...I woke up at 6am to another power cut and slience all around! I ran to the window and I couldnt believe my eyes. Never seen 6 and a half inchs of snow before. Everyone was walking around smiling and helping one another. The fireman out on foot helping.

And I saw a few things I will never forget, people going by with ski sticks,a cat in basket being pulled along on a sledge lol and so many people being pulled past my window on sledges!

The milk, bread, meat and veg was sold out for 3 days my other half got hold of some goats milk lol, I didnt like it much but thats all he could get.

By day 2 we were able to dig our car out most roads were blocked all around us and we couldnt go far. By day 5 we were able to help dig my mum out of her farm where she had been stuck.

and by day 7, today its still awful so much snow still lays on the ground, more snow then ive ever seen before.

You would think im talking about scotland....but god this was Sussex, Sunny sussex where our snow normally looks like a hard frost lol! *what a week*

Edited by Westsussex1

Posted

Hi guys ,so what is the latest are us peeps in Brighton going to get this snow? or just boring old rain to wash the slush away?cc_confused.gif

Posted

Now that is good news!!

I take it you mean London aswell and not just kent or the coast?

The area covered by this thread as a whole. The coast will probably see less because it will fall as sleet/rain etc though the NAE also seems keen to have it fall as snow throughout, so who knows :) Things are starting to look promising :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Cold and Hot inc Stormy Weather

I now live in colchester but lived in west wales for 14 yrs and going by my experience this frontal system is moving pretty fast and im going to say that this will sweep accross the country quiet quickly. The main problem is that the strong winds may drag in the milder air further east and produce rain rather than snow.

I am pretty confident that we in the south east will see this ppn hit us by morning. Fingers Crossed.rolleyes.gif

Posted

Has she made it back yet SQ1? I'm still here until Saturday lol :lol: It should ideally be at UEA already :blink:

No she hung on to get her friend to do her hair will be going back tommorrow i will drive her so she will get back safe and we will drop her car over to her when to weather warms up.

Posted

I see the Met O advisory....,isn't this going to be a sleety event here though? I'm not high up and I thought it was snow for the West?

Edited by rmc1987

Posted

:blink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Folks its all going to be ok here , just got off the phone to Yamkin and he has heavy snow where he is :D

Lol

Posted

Update from this corner of NW London 1730 hrs.

Temp: 0.9c ( Falling slowly )

DP: -0.8c ( Falling slowly )

Wind: Light but more easterly now, veering between ene/ese ( Gradually increasing )

Pressure: 1010.3mb dropping ( has been all day not suprisingly )

RH : 89% ( steady)

Very light sleet falling in the last 10 minutes. I wouldnt like to be a forecaster at the best of times, but in this scenario, anything is possible. Unless your Yamkin of course, then a blizzard is a given !!

Posted

Very light snow over the last 40 mins or so here in Reigate - precip from a very localised shower showed up nicely on the Met Office Invent radar at 5pm.

At present rate of falling it will take about a week to hide the patches of yellow snow caused by the new puppy!

AS

Very light snow over the last 40 mins or so here in Reigate - precip from a very localised shower showed up nicely on the Met Office Invent radar at 5pm.

At present rate of falling it will take about a week to hide the patches of yellow snow caused by the new puppy!

AS

Remember - never eat yellow snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

take a look at the invent at 17.30 hours...seems to be a wee gap (can you tell i am an expert) in the sw system ...what is this all about?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

Posted

take a look at the invent at 17.30 hours...seems to be a wee gap (can you tell i am an expert) in the sw system ...what is this all about?

so long as its not yellow snow in that wee gap tongue.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Edited by MAF