Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

Just arrived home in what was initially light snow but is now more moderate/verging on heavy. Settling as well on rooves and cars and filling in gaps on the pavement and grass.

Anyone know why raintoday has changed their radar back to the normal orange?

That radar was free for a time. I believe they now class it as a premium service, with a monthly fee. Pay that and you get to see the different colours representing type of precipitation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Would this be a bad time to say its still nowing hard here... thats a good 3.5hours of heavy snow so far.... and looks like more to come!

Are you welcoming squatters?

Posted

I'm going to stick my neck out and sy it will fill in once it gets past Dartmoor, don't forget that sitting at up to 2,400 feet Dartmoor does take some getting around for weather systems... part of the reason Dorset is comparatively drier than the average.

aghhh so if we grade off Dartmoor with a bulldozer we'll get snow!!!!!!!!! Now there's an idea yahoo.gif

Posted

Ah! So you have changed your views from last night and earlier. Cheers. It's not easy this forecasting larkbiggrin.gif

We're just getting within a time-scale where we can use other techniques to decipher energy transfer in bands. The answer to your question is no, not really. Not a lot has changed. An average estimate of 4 - 7cm is likely for the Bristol area - which is significant enough to cause disruption. You will see snow, very little transient in nature.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Nice one! Elevation appears to be a key driver this eve.

Went up Telegraph Hill on way to Torquay last Feb, on the Friday after that thursday eve/night snow storm. The forest up there was absolutely plastered in snow with branches fallen down and other carnage. Got down into Newton Abbott and next to nothing.

Yup, carry on down the cameras towards Exeter (and the split) and there was nothing. The drivers must be getting a bit of a shock!

Although there does seem to be a bit on the sides down there now.

post-7608-12633151845928_thumb.jpg

Posted

Just arrived home in what was initially light snow but is now more moderate/verging on heavy. Settling as well on rooves and cars and filling in gaps on the pavement and grass.

Anyone know why raintoday has changed their radar back to the normal orange?

Whats the temp mate?

Posted

Yes. It is still in the zone if you like. However analysing the latest mid level vorticity projections it does show weakening of the band that you see on radar. So light/moderate snow in pulses moves through between now and 19Z with weakening there-after before a second pulse moves through in the early hours - again weakening on the central/northern sector of the band and retention of energy in the Southern part moving into Hampshire, Central Wiltshire, Dorset and W Sussex. On latest guidance the Bristol area looks to get between 4 - 7cm (conservative estimate)

Cheers. So why is the greater energy going east/North east? Is there an easy explanation? i think ian's blog kindda explained.

EDIT: BBC News 24 weather just mentioned heavier pulses for BTL area, wednesday morn

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

BBCNews24 forecast on now....still has Bristol and Cardiff in the thick of it tonight. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

That radar was free for a time. I believe they now class it as a premium service, with a monthly fee. Pay that and you get to see the different colours representing type of precipitation.

But you cant join/pay for another week how stupid is that.

Is there another one that shows snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

I just brought the NW radar but its all in blue and green, i thought there was snow around in parts and that is shown as pink and red right? How do i work it proberly?

Posted

Hi James,smile.gif

Cleeve hill is looking absoloutly stunning from the village. There is still a lot of snow on the hill.I expect the snow will take 'at least' a couple weeks to thaw,unless we have a top- up in the mean-time!

Loads of snow out here too i live towards Taddington/Cutsdean/Snowshill in the cotswold backwoods. We had approx 30cm which has compacted down to 20cm. Today was the first day we got above 0C - the heady heights of 0.2C.... Looking forward to some fresh snow but if i get the predicted 30cm it's going to be a nightmare up here - guess i should look forward to being cut off again. Thank god for a pair for 4WD and a pair of ski's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

The heavier snow is not even forecast to reach us until later this evening so i wouldnt get woried just yet if its light.

Steady light/mod snow here at the moment which is laying quite readily but im gonna be up late tonight waiting for heavy stuff. whistling.gif

Run out of cider but i do have a box of blossom hill and 2 bottles of banana beer left. drunk.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

snizzle/rain here in Dorset. :lol: :lol: :) :) :p:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

I just brought the NW radar but its all in blue and green, i thought there was snow around in parts and that is shown as pink and red right? How do i work it proberly?

Click on 'Precip Type'

Posted

click on precip type

Posted

so tc we are looking ok for bournemouth?

A strong energy transfer does move through for you later this evening into the early part of the morning - however dew points on the coast will be marginal for a straight snow event. You likely see rain in light pulses and sleet/snow in heavier. you may well get lucky a see 1 - 2cm more especially if you're a mile or so inland from Bournemouth.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

we had snow now we don't here in Wellington.Most of what had fallen over the last week has thawed.

It has been quite amusing as folk at work

have been on about another day off and I said I think it will go to rain.Of course I DO realise that it could all turn back to snow but I'm not convinced.

I live not far from the Devon border(Tiverton).

Have to say that I haven't seen any updates this evening so things could have changed either way.

Posted

Well well well.

egg_on_face1.jpg

I have to say, i didnt expect this.

I work 110m asl in northern Plymouth, there was 2 inchs of snow settled when i left at 4pm, and it would have been double this is it didnt start so wet.

At my home it is wetter snow, and hasnt really settled - 60m asl, closer to the coast, but it is still very heavy and blowing around in the wind.

Plymouth dropped from 3.7oc @12.40pm, to 1.0oC by 2pm. Thats pretty impressive, there is some COLD AIR in the front.

Plymouth has had 11mm of rain so far.

So, the snow level is 100m and within the front itself, under heavy ppn, is a lot colder then the preceeding air.

The most fantastic bit about this is:

5 days ago the met office had a weather warning for Plymouth, which remained in force untill 11am today, when they removed it. At 1pm it started to Snow heavily in Plymouth. LOL

That is an absolute classic from the Met!