Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

The band will have a tendency to weaken just before it reaches your part of the world a little later this evening. A pulse of moderate/strong energy moves through between 00Z and 03Z Wednesday AM giving some light snow. Another pulse of energy heads East from N Devon into South Somerset skirting your area from 06Z - 09Z tomorrow morning - this shifting N in the afternoon. So I reckon around 5cm will be possible.

Hey mate do you stil think 5-8cm is still likely later on tonight?

The PPN seems to weaken really fast.

Posted

PPN very very weak.

Not the main band i believe. Meant to intensify later, although nowhere near as much as last week's event.....sadly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I think its gonna split and go north west of glos and Se of glos.

Just my observations.

Thats if it doesnt fizzle out first, looks like its weakening rapidly

Posted

precip is imminent here.

Dont expect much. Light to a little moderate. Wet and washing away type of snow. Not cold enough at the moment, Bristol will be worse with temps a little higher again.

Posted

2cm fallen here in Pencoed, South Wales since 3pm so not bad & still coming down. I can't see this lasting till tomorrow lunchtime tho - the front will have passed us by 9pm tonight I reckon....anyone else think the same?

Posted

South Bristol looks better than N Bristol on the basis that you will always be closest to the main energy along the frontal boundary. The band you see on radar is expected to continue to move ENE weakening significantly around South Bristol - so locally heavier falls to the far South of Bristol between now and 19.00 - slight weakening is then anticipated as the next wave organising across the far SW and intensifies across N Devon/Devon. This will advance towards Bristol again losing energy in the Mid/Northern sector of the band but retaining strength over Dorset/Hampshire and W Sussex from 00Z to 03Z AM. Small pulse of energy moves through Wed 06Z to 09Z South of Bristol ENE into Central Wilts. On this basis I'd say 4cm would be a good average with potential of up-to 7cm.

Ah! So you have changed your views from last night and earlier. Cheers. It's not easy this forecasting larkbiggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

post-7608-12633147750728_thumb.jpg

Haldon Hill, A38 just above Exeter

Posted

2cm fallen here in Pencoed, South Wales since 3pm so not bad & still coming down. I can't see this lasting till tomorrow lunchtime tho - the front will have passed us by 9pm tonight I reckon....anyone else think the same?

No, met office wouldn't have a warning out that long otherwise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Just arrived home in what was initially light snow but is now more moderate/verging on heavy. Settling as well on rooves and cars and filling in gaps on the pavement and grass.

Anyone know why raintoday has changed their radar back to the normal orange?

Posted

So TC, are you still sticking with your predictions from last night and this morning about BTL and more particularly Glos area getting the heavy stuff?

Yes. It is still in the zone if you like. However analysing the latest mid level vorticity projections it does show weakening of the band that you see on radar. So light/moderate snow in pulses moves through between now and 19Z with weakening there-after before a second pulse moves through in the early hours - again weakening on the central/northern sector of the band and retention of energy in the Southern part moving into Hampshire, Central Wiltshire, Dorset and W Sussex. On latest guidance the Bristol area looks to get between 4 - 7cm (conservative estimate)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

It would be a bad time! tease.gif

laugh.gifdrinks.gif

and in answer to your other question.

It's snowing here, and yes, its drifting in the wind. When I went out earlier, I hopped into a field and against the hedge it was up to my knees.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

post-7608-12633147750728_thumb.jpg

Haldon Hill, A38 just above Exeter

Nice one! Elevation appears to be a key driver this eve.

Went up Telegraph Hill on way to Torquay last Feb, on the Friday after that thursday eve/night snow storm. The forest up there was absolutely plastered in snow with branches fallen down and other carnage. Got down into Newton Abbott and next to nothing.

Just arrived home in what was initially light snow but is now more moderate/verging on heavy. Settling as well on rooves and cars and filling in gaps on the pavement and grass.

The preciptype was just to show what the premium version would look like ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Seems quite hard here (Bristol) but thats just what I can see from the street lights.

Posted

Hi Michael, im in Grange Farm Road off the mini roundabout. Seems to be wet and washing away here, 300 yards up the road!! rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Snowing in Brislington Bristol, started about 10mins ago and getting heavier!