Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

If any of you have any questions on whether you will see snow in your area based on the latest, then please feel free to ask. I will be here for the next 20 minutes. drinks.gif

How much do you see the top of the mendips getting from this? air_kiss.gif

Steady snow here at moment with big flakes although only in light ppn at present. yahoo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Haldon Hill traffic cam shows single lane in use only north bound...thats one hell of a hill to get stuck in slow traffic on... when there is snow cover I guess its going to get... interesting...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

All we have in barnstaple is a bit of rain and high winds right now, from the radar looks like the pep is struggling to reach nort devon to at the moment.

Posted

sad.gif huge gap and snow dieing out not good.

Just got in from work, so what's happening? How are we for this eve/tonight? News 24 just now seemed to indicate heavy stuff over moors and into Wales later, with northern parts of the wider south west region getting patchy snow. Am i reading this right or just being pessimistic?

If i'm interpreting it right, much as Ian F predicted i think.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Just back from walking the dog around the village (between Sherborne and Yeovil) and there's something falling that feels like small sharp needles. Sleet? Freezing rain? Not sure of the difference, but it's very fine and melting into the slush.

Posted

I'm going to stick my neck out and sy it will fill in once it gets past Dartmoor, don't forget that sitting at up to 2,400 feet Dartmoor does take some getting around for weather systems... part of the reason Dorset is comparatively drier than the average.

Posted

Just got in from work, so what's happening? How are we for this eve/tonight? News 24 just now seemed to indicate heavy stuff over moors and into Wales later, with northern parts of the wider south west region getting patchy snow. Am i reading this right or just being pessimistic?

If i'm interpreting it right, much as Ian F predicted i think.

Light to moderate snow here for the last half an hour.

Pretty wet stuff. Not adding to the lying snow.

Posted

Not liking that hole heading toward Bristol! :aggressive:

On the close up of the NW Radar the "hole" is an area of sleet but now the front has started moving again what is coming out the other side of it is snow and starting to look like heavy snow. The green patch itself is not moving and hasn't moved for over an hour now.

Fiona

Posted

I'm hopeful! :good:

Wiltshireeeeeeee? Your expertise is needed! :aggressive:

The band will have a tendency to weaken just before it reaches your part of the world a little later this evening. A pulse of moderate/strong energy moves through between 00Z and 03Z Wednesday AM giving some light snow. Another pulse of energy heads East from N Devon into South Somerset skirting your area from 06Z - 09Z tomorrow morning - this shifting N in the afternoon. So I reckon around 5cm will be possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Just been out on my first bike ride since it started snowing last Tuesday. Only the main A and B roads are passable at the moment so my routes are a bit limited!

I had a punishing climb up Birdlip Hill from the Witcombes. It seems about twice as hard in this cold weather! There's still a lot of snow up on the hills - about 4-5 inches. It is lingering on the trees too, and drifting in the strong winds. Anything that falls tonight will really accumulate quickly and exacerbate the drifting. There's still two or three inches of snow left in Cheltenham, but only on the ground and the snow is turning slushy.

Hi James,smile.gif

Cleeve hill is looking absoloutly stunning from the village. There is still a lot of snow on the hill.I expect the snow will take 'at least' a couple weeks to thaw,unless we have a top- up in the mean-time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Light snow in central Bristol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Just started to snow here, small flakes but lots of them.

Every little helps...

Posted

The band will have a tendency to weaken just before it reaches your part of the world a little later this evening. A pulse of moderate/strong energy moves through between 00Z and 03Z Wednesday AM giving some light snow. Another pulse of energy heads East from N Devon into South Somerset skirting your area from 06Z - 09Z tomorrow morning - this shifting N in the afternoon. So I reckon around 5cm will be possible.

So TC, are you still sticking with your predictions from last night and this morning about BTL and more particularly Glos area getting the heavy stuff?

Posted

Hi James,smile.gif

Cleeve hill is looking absoloutly stunning from the village. There is still a lot of snow on the hill.I expect the snow will take 'at least' a couple weeks to thaw,unless we have a top- up in the mean-time!

Doubt a couple of weeks with the mild southerly winds in the latest model output!

Posted

Hi James,smile.gif

jane I reckon 2 hrs or so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I think its gonna split and go north west of glos and Se of glos.

Just my observations.

Posted

hi tc :) how much snow for south bristol you think about :aggressive::good:

South Bristol looks better than N Bristol on the basis that you will always be closest to the main energy along the frontal boundary. The band you see on radar is expected to continue to move ENE weakening significantly around South Bristol - so locally heavier falls to the far South of Bristol between now and 19.00 - slight weakening is then anticipated as the next wave organising across the far SW and intensifies across N Devon/Devon. This will advance towards Bristol again losing energy in the Mid/Northern sector of the band but retaining strength over Dorset/Hampshire and W Sussex from 00Z to 03Z AM. Small pulse of energy moves through Wed 06Z to 09Z South of Bristol ENE into Central Wilts. On this basis I'd say 4cm would be a good average with potential of up-to 7cm.

Posted

Would this be a bad time to say its still nowing hard here... thats a good 3.5hours of heavy snow so far.... and looks like more to come!