Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion Rhan

Methuselah

Posted

Look at the 850 wind vectors showing the ppn driving around the low into Wales - tasty.

That's what i was looking at.......it looks as though (as you say) swinging round heading right for us...............fingers crossed eh !!!!

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Its due to move right up thru mid Wales, right now the front appears to have slowed down, I think things will start really getting interesting between 6pm and 7pm and if i am honest this has given us a great start for the night. temp just dropped a little again in last hour, dew point here - 1.2 which has crept up a little. Need to keep an eye on that.

So far so good.

Posted

it's going to ease off for you by the looks of it, but you are well in the snow level, so you should have steady blowing snow all night. bit worried our snow is going to turn back to rain/sleet. we're really close to that level here on the radar. if it doesn't, there's some juicy looking stuff brewing over in Somerset.

well well, sleet level has moved back to the very edge of the coast. looks like it might be game on after all.

Posted

Just driven back from Pembroke to here...

Heavy sleet/wet snow in Pembroke (1.8c at 3.45pm)

Heavy blowing snow here (0.0c)

Snow only really sticking east of Kilgetty and at slight altitude (as was highlighted yesterday, a little altitude is making all the difference).

Road looking v.dodgy at Red Roses with snow beginning to drift.

Posted

Sorry to sound "thick" but I've just sort of worked out a little more how it'll take longer than people think to move across our area - the centre of the low of this event is to the north west of Ireland and its pulling the front in two ways - forwards across us (west to east) and it's pulling it's snow north through the front aswell (the direction of the s easterly winds) it's complicated but if you look on www.sat24.com/gb then you can clearly see what's happening

Edited by andymusic

Posted

That's what i was looking at.......it looks as though (as you say) swinging round heading right for us...............fingers crossed eh !!!!

Never understood this thos wind vectors point north yet the fron appears to be heading east, why the difference

Edited by NAOwillgetyou

Posted

what does that mean? good news for us?

If it has stalled, that's great news for where it's snowing now (if you like heavy, prolonged snow!) The energy/moisture is still pumping in from the SW, but it meets the cold block and is unable to move further forward thus dropping it's precipitation continually in the the same area over a greater length of time. It would also have the effect of stopping the south of Wales being over-run with mild air from the atlantic (in the short term). Well that's the theory, anyway!

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

Heavy snow here in Cwmbran, everything totally blanketed. there was still of lot of snow lying around from last week, I'd as about 5 inches. Mots of the main roads were clear but the estates were packed white....now theres about an inch already of fresh snow everywhere....beautiful to see... lamp mpost watching all night now....might go out for a 4x4 drive later, check the main road conditions around Cwmbran

Cwmbran SE Wales 150m asl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Increaes length of precipation but it weakens .

ABSOLUTE BLIZZARD IN SWANSEA

Where are you? Moderate snow here

Posted

There is a tunderstorm out in the bristol channel if anyone can see it!!.

Looks like a nice convection zone appearing just off the coast of south wales where the precip is startng to build nicely.

Edited by mrmonopoly

Posted

we are RIGHT in the middle of that intense blob of pink over the valleys on the NW radar.

who'd have thunk it. eh? :)

Posted

we are RIGHT in the middle of that intense blob of pink over the valleys on the NW radar.

who'd have thunk it. eh? :)

Take a look at the new convergence zone appearing in a line from SW right up through channel where what looks like a thunderstorm forming ahead of the green blob. It turned yellow for a good 15 mins. Looks like a classic undercut to me and its created forcing.

Posted

Take a look at the new convergence zone appearing in a line from SW right up through channel where what looks like a thunderstorm forming ahead of the green blob. It turned yellow for a good 15 mins. Looks like a classic undercut to me and its created forcing.

translation?

grease the shovel?

polar bear alert?

:)

no, seriously, sounds good, I THINK!! :)