Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

bbc reported 18 inches of snow at the top of haldon!!!! 45cm WTF!!!!! oh so close 10 minutes from here........

Oh shok.gif

That makes my 3 inches feel so inadequate! ohmy.gif still got until the morning yet but need some heavier ppn really.

Posted

Steady snow now here in Swindon, covering roads and cars.Looks like the advancing front has stalled so we could get a good covering by morning.

Posted

Still snowing here but quite light now, a gap is showing on the rainfall radar for about now but there seems to be more behind ot so thinking it will probably get heavier again... hopefully biggrin.gif

Posted

Oh shok.gif

That makes my 3 inches feel so inadequate! ohmy.gif still got until the morning yet but need some heavier ppn really.

If anyone's got access to decent radar, let us know what's happening - anymore heavy stuff coming up? No need to post image, in case you get into trouble!

I almost signed up to NW radar at end of Nov when the offer was on - wish i had now!doh.gif

Posted

At one stage yeaterday I thought there was going to be a lot of snow, with very strong winds to go with it.

Thank goodness it hasn't turned out like that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Radar blip? Everything just turned to snow!

post-7608-12633360073628_thumb.png

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

Non-event here in this part of north Devon. We've had a bit of snow at times but it was very wet and that and the sleet and rain has just helped wash away lots of the lying snow.

Big contrast with last Feb, but then this was always more marginal.

Posted

pasting it certainlyy has, when i cam up over there earlier at about 3 it had just started,as you do i stopped for a little and watched and when i pulled off at about 3.45 it was blowing a blizzard and a couple of inches deep!!! earlier in the day 2 snow ploughs were sat in car park at the top and were just pulling out onto the main drag when i left, obviously all that sleep they had didnt refresh them enough to be able to clear it all quick enough lol

Posted

I'm not sure the gritters would of been much use... I mean salt ain't gonna touch a foot of snow is it. It's not magic dust. Although, that said I don't know if they had a foot there...

It was rain at the foot of the hill though. What blocked the road was an accident. Apparently then there was some snow at the top.

Non-event here in this part of north Devon. We've had a bit of snow at times but it was very wet and that and the sleet and rain has just helped wash away lots of the lying snow.

Big contrast with last Feb, but then this was always more marginal.

At least you got that snow on sunday that most of us didnt get :shok:

Posted

It was rain at the foot of the hill though. What blocked the road was an accident. Apparently then there was some snow at the top.

Yeah, saw on the traffic cams it was rain at the split, but pretty heavy snow up at the race course.

A380 was blocked to for a time. (Telegraph Hill)

Still, my car is stuck in the snow to... infact, you can't see the wheels.

Posted

Well, near blizzard conditions here in North BTL/S.Glos.

It's quite intense at the mo. I guess we must be in the 'hotspot' at the mo....correction.... 'coldspot'!

Posted

I think it's finally stopping here, great day of snow and that's two decent dumps for the week!

Without sounding greedy if I could have a few more days like this over the rest of the winter I will be very happy indeed.

Jase

Posted

The rain earlier only seemed to accelerate the thaw even further, as even before it started, the snow was thawing quicker than on previous days

Posted

If anyone's got access to decent radar, let us know what's happening - anymore heavy stuff coming up? No need to post image, in case you get into trouble!

I almost signed up to NW radar at end of Nov when the offer was on - wish i had now!doh.gif

No, just took a look and there isn't any heavy snow in sight now but plenty of the stuff that is currently falling so can't complain really! Certainly got a couple of inches here soo it will be interesting to see what the morning brings.

Posted

Radio 5 Live currently are making this event a drama whistling.gif Is it?

Well, for those stuck on Telegraph Hill near Exeter, it's like a drama repeat from last Feb, i guess!

Here in BTL we're definitely getting more snow that was forecast, i think. Not great dryish snow like last Tues/wed, but quite intense at times.

Posted

I think it's finally stopping here, great day of snow and that's two decent dumps for the week!

Without sounding greedy if I could have a few more days like this over the rest of the winter I will be very happy indeed.

Jase

Yup, heavy snow last Tuesday night (6 inches)

Moderate snow Saturday night into and including Sunday (3 inches)

Today (7-8 inches) and still snowing - very light now)

Thats the levels, drifts somewhat more.

Not bad for a week in the balmy South West eh, especially when snow was supposed to be so rare in the UK these days...

Edit: Is anyone else finding NW radar showing everything down here as snow? Including Cornwall and all the places that were 20mins ago showing rain/sleet

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Somerset is really getting unlucky for the most part! I have just posted 12hr ppn totals and I am sure somerset was meant to get more than further north and east but look at that hole!

post-8911-12633364648628_thumb.png

Edited by mullender83

Posted

slight drift's on the roof's

flake's getting heavier

Having been out in it its very very dry snow aswell - the sort of stuff that hurts your eyes when it hits them!

From the looks of things itll be snowing most the night - certainly looking good for 5cms

SK