Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Just been out to measure, 7cm fresh and 15cm total on the lawn. Thankfully the temperatures steady at +0.3c dp -0.6c so still in with a shout of some more tonight!

post-2595-12633368190028_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Very disappointed with derek tonight. And BBC UK's forecast was rubbish.

Snow in the south west...

oh yeah, some weather in south wales diablo.gif

same on news24 - independence for wales i say - and an independent welsh met office!

Posted

Cardiff had snow over it until 11am on bbc wales just now.

what about cwmbran or other souther areas??

My sky box not working due to the snow!! Bleeding nuisance this white stuff... NOT!!!! :shok:

Edited by WINTRY WALES

Posted

If it snows too far into tomorrow night then your -12 would be under sever threat??? lol.

Would you take defeat in the temperature wager versus an extra 12 hours of snow??

Indeed the radar does look promising, i think within an hour it will be heavier here again, but for how long can this stay as snow?

Who else from Swansea is still online? whats happening down Mumbles area?? ,ive heard a few reports not just on here that its only the highest areas still gettting snow????

Well I was gonna mention that - GFS has backtracked on the temps for tomorrow because it thinks the snow/precip will continue well into the evening tomorrow night but it's still going for mega low temps the following night

Penylan hill... i'm going to sort out with my mate the great hike up there lmao...it would take 2 hours to walk maybe.

could be tricky but you'd find it flippin impossible against the 3ft drifts we got up here that's for sure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Light Snow still here, wind slightly eased but still gusty

Posted

NAOwillgetyou, on 12 January 2010 - 22:04 , said:

Please anyone I really need to know, anyone near Carmarthen, Cheers Guys

I'm 7 or 8 miles south and quite a bit higher than the town itself. The main(ish) road near my house is passable with care (atm), the lanes I walked along earlier were probably just about passable with a tractor or big 4x4.

I'm pretty sure it won't be half as bad in town, if you stick to the main roads. Altitude seems to be making a big difference. And, it will melt quick if the temps rise much more...

Check out BBC Travel, they've got reliable, current info.

Many thanks for the reply. Supposed to be Teaching in Trinity college but cant imagine too many students managing to turn up :shok: :lol:

Posted

My sky box not working due to the snow!! Bleeding nuisance this white stuff... NOT!!!!

Throw a snowball or two at it. One hit and mines working a treat again!

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

Just been outside and measured todays now depth....we're at 5 inches now on top of the 5 inches left from last Tuesday. Its snowing very fine but very heavy and theres not a lot of wind about here in my street, quite sheltered I suppose but nevertheless going to be drifting in other locations close to here....

looked at a few radars and there's still plenty more to come for here anyway...will fizzle out during the early morning but not really sure when. i reckon 1000am

snow ploughs have been up and down maendy way ( west pontnewydd earlier to keep the roads clear but some local loonies have recently built a mega giant snowball and placed it in the centre of the main road. lol ( wasnt me - honest )

The trees are picturesque and heavily covered in snow as its still falling straight down with o sign of wind here...god help us if it starts to drift later if the winds pick up !

my kids wont be going to school tomorrow

I even had trouble getting my 44x4 out of the estate earlier because fresh snow on hard packed icy snow isnt a good mix for traction, had to drive over the curbs and onto the grass to get out...,..not good if a 44x4 starts struggling

Just had a text from a girl i work with, she left cwmbran office at 1710hrs and got home to hafodyrynys at 2220pm !! 5 hrs to travel 10 miles !!!

traffic gridlocked and breakdowns and accidents.....don't travel....it aint worth it

interesting to see what amount of depth will be in the morning, have to ferry 3 people to cwmbran town centre at 0800hrs to their work...

they could be walking !!

tempertaure here -0.2C

Cwmbran SEWales 150m asl ( west pontnewydd ) 5 miles east of newport np44

Posted

we are planning on visiting UWIC at the cyncoed site - what are our chances please. The open day is in the afternoon. Anyone in the cyncoed area please?

I left the top of Penylan hill at 4:30 and wouldn't advise going up there.

Light Snow still here, wind slightly eased but still gusty

Same here, not really accumulating at the moment. Could either do with heavier snow, or a freeze as I am happy with what we have got, and would love to take some photos in the morning.

Posted

I am ahappy bunny now.... I have a lovely covering of white crisp snow.... Do you think I could be greedy and still ask for more? I was on santas good list?

you can have some more

Posted

NAOwillgetyou, on 12 January 2010 - 22:04 , said:

Please anyone I really need to know, anyone near Carmarthen, Cheers Guys

I'm 7 or 8 miles south and quite a bit higher than the town itself. The main(ish) road near my house is passable with care (atm), the lanes I walked along earlier were probably just about passable with a tractor or big 4x4.

I'm pretty sure it won't be half as bad in town, if you stick to the main roads. Altitude seems to be making a big difference. And, it will melt quick if the temps rise much more...

Check out BBC Travel, they've got reliable, current info.

Many thanks for the reply. Supposed to be Teaching in Trinity college but cant imagine too many students managing to turn up whistling.gifwhistling.gif

I teach in Pembroke- three flakes in 24hrs and it's a snow day there...

Edited by benb

Posted

some nice drifts on top of merthyr

A465camera2416.jpg?freshcall=Mon%20Jan%2 )

poxy sleet here port talbot im moving back to pontypool in the summer get some real action

this one hell of a poxy place port talbot

Posted

My sky box not working due to the snow!! Bleeding nuisance this white stuff... NOT!!!! drinks.gif

lol my sky is not working either... I already climed out the bedroom window and bashed it with a wellie boot, fixed it temporarily but not working again now. lol

you can have some more

drinks.gif cheers brucie

Posted

Anyone seen whats happend to NW radar, everywhere now gone to snow even out to sea has something weird happend

I noticed this aswell, I havent a clue why, perhaps if there are any mods etc on here they could explain.

Posted

Well I was gonna mention that - GFS has backtracked on the temps for tomorrow because it thinks the snow/precip will continue well into the evening tomorrow night but it's still going for mega low temps the following night

Lol .hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, this is like a get out of jail free card for you lol.

I rang Norris earlier, and he is on his way to record the temperature in your garden as we speak,however seeing how he was camping in the fields at the top of Tycoch hill this evening , its unlikley he will be able to get through the 2-3ft snow drifts up there.

Deep snow drifts in Swansea ,not Aviemore.... Swansea , whod have thought it.

Had a word with the lampost again, and its now delivering moderate snow.

Cant blame it really its being delivering non stop for hours, even lamposts need a break.

Just need another two or three really hefty showers and its definatly a snow day tomorrow.

Posted
post-2595-12633370009628_thumb.jpg

Posted

Guessing it will be pretty bad there - was still a fair bit of snow lying there and they seem to get similar amounts to what I get here. Car park was like an ice rink this morning there, almost went over a few times on my into lectures and can't see it being any better tomorrow to be honest.

What course you (son/daughter) looking at doing?

our son is thinking of doing sport and PE - what about you? what year are you in and are you enjoying it?