Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Let's be honest we are all cold lovers and therefore biased and could be called cold rampers so we have no right to say cold /mild rampers etc, were just all interested in the forecast, Mr Monopoly was wrong for today but eve i said this morning that this would be rain in alot of places it just proves how hard our weather is to predict.

Posted

What are the chances of a snow day in Swansea tomorrow? For me it started great horizontal snow etc etc for about an hour and a half then snizzle/ sleet/ ice grains :whistling: I was so full of hope. But then I hear of such contrasts over the city my kids are in morriston comp which is higher than me and I know teachers have to travel, so I don't really know what will happen tomorrow. Feel so deflated now was soooo good earlier. Now sloppy slippy slush

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member

Sent this to my local head master ...( deleted school anems and peoples names for reasons as you can understand )

Good morning, I'm in dismay at the fact a decision has been made to open the school on Monday 11th january 2009 as it has been closed due to snow and ice issues relating to a snow event that happened the previous Tuesday. I have been paying attention to both ********** primary and *********** schools as both my daughters attend and no effort has been made on anyone's part ( the council ) to clear pathways or road access areas. *********** school is closed for today ( Monday 11th Jan ) because of ice and snow risk. Therefore, our thinking for safety reasons that ************ Primary should also do the same. However, the notice on the schools website suggests that the school opening is going ahead even though no effort has been made to alleviate the snow/ice issues ie, no gritting, no pathways cleared. If this has been done then my apologies, but there was no sign of activity in the school area up until late last night when I drove past. ************* school also in the same situation. I understand that the government and councils are urging schools to make every effort to re-open today especially as the media have highlighted the importance of schooling and examinations being cancelled etc but I still think something more could have been done to help. I for one am a parent as you know and would have been quite happy to come to the school on the weekend and helped clear pathways etc to prepare for todays opening but could not as the gates were closed. Maybe a parent action committee in case of similar events in the future. There may well be other parents who would also like to help out in a community old style spirit. I wouldn't want to do it on my own and that's for sure. 'Shovel for Victory' slogan during the winter months....now there's a thought. I'm sure Mr ********* ( caretaker ) would be happy to make cups of teas for everyone rather than running around like a headless chicken trying to clear pathways and grit areas with his tiny 'rolling gritter'. I saw him over a week ago doing this and he looked exhausted practically trying to get the school ready. I hope he get's recognition for his massive efforts. He may seem to many people as a 'grumpy old man' but I can assure you his hearts in the right place and he's a genuinely nice person. I understand that opening the school helps parents return to work. Unfortunatley many parents have children in **************** school too so they're still in the 'same boat' with them being closed today. The weather is definitely going to start warming up from about wednesday 13th but there's still a weather warning of another severe snow event bringing heavy snow and drifting for approx 12 hours to our area. No doubt the school will be closed again. Whatever the decision is that makes ******** Primary open when there's health and safety issues maybe making the overall decsion based on what the local comprehensive schools intend to do may be a better idea. If *************** is closed...then the question 'why' should be asked. I hope this doesn't sound like a gripe and taken more of an observation and a parents point of view.

and this was the reply.....

Hi Mr ********,

Thank you for your email regarding the decision to open the site yesterday. Unfortunately, we were told by the LEA on Thursday that, even though they themselves were unable to grit the surrounding roads, if we could clear a walk way into the school then we were obligated to open, hence the fact that a number of schools did reopen on Friday. However, after consultation with my Governors and my caretaker, I didnt deem it safe to open on Friday and felt it best to wait until yesterday.

Mr ********, spent Sunday clearing and gritting the path ways to and from the buildings to ensure that there was a walk way and, while I have my own personal views on whether schools should open or not in such weather, I have a legal duty, if the walk ways into the buildings are clear and adequette staff can get to school, to open the school.

Thank you for your kind offer to assist with clearing the site in future, it was very considerate of you to offer, but unfortunately, ridiculous as it may sound, we are unable to allow it because of Health and Safety considerations.

Best regards

health and safety stops us from helping to clear the snow....wat a larffe

Posted

Yes do not bother driving, i can predict the weather but not accidents as i found out tonight, god knows how much it will cost to fix the car. 3 mph down hill, did not touch breaks, lost traction and walloped a street post, knocked one wheel so its like crosseyed from the other.

Its really not worth taking the car out, spoilt the fun for me a little.

Sorry to hear that mate - it's a real sod when you knacker your car especially in these conditions - hope you get it sorted once the weather clears! - and consider like me buying a snowmobile

Posted

Where is this heavy stuff comming from as I canot see it on the radar.

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html

You can zoom onto your location. Refresh every 15mins for latest radar.

Yellows = light... Reds = heavy :lazy:.

Posted

Yes i've got to agree with you there are progressive signs that february will definetly be milder than january but that isn't hard but i don't think it will be overly mild.

slightly warmer than the -16s we were getting but it'll still be very cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

This has/is been an amazing snow storm - glad you've all got the snow you've been wishing for - seems this "even larger teapot" will set the tone for winters to come possibly - and we'll ban the mild winter to the global warming cupboard and lock it up!!!!!!!!

Unless your in North Wales where we get the tail end of everything, theres sod all left by the time it gets here, doesnt matter whether its from the south west or east, its run dry and always light. Bar the really low temps, snow wise its service as usual for the north

Posted

Anybody that has lived through the winters of the 60's. 70's and 80's could tell peeps this is a common thing then. The mild tried to win, but fails. I see the temps are now being downgraded to lower, and the snow being held out for longer. The models are progged for 'even larger teapot'. Now we have low solar output this will be a regular feature. Back to the past. Global warming is no more. lol...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! down with global warming 0h it never existed in the 1st place - just a figment of the governments imagination and tax raising agendas

Posted

heavy snow should be with you shortly I think

from the south into cardiff/barry and south east wales - port talbot will get more too soon

~Glad you mentioned south east wales as well....would not want to be left out. lol

Posted

If the next two winters are like this one , the global warming debate will be dead in the water.

I remember watching Francis from sky tv and another forecaster (piers or whatever) having a kind of argument regarding long range forecasing the other day.

The long and short of it was that Francis seemed fairly convinced that long range forecasting was rather silly, however this other independant bloke talked of solar flares etc.

Now if next winter is like this one,then the warming debate will start losing credence and , if the following winter be the same then, well cooling will be on the cards , and another tax will be invented to stop global cooling.

Should be good for gas guzzlers.

They'll put more tax on the fuel we need to keep us warm!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

just a quick note about driving in the snow

when there are warnings 'not to travel' and you are involved in an accident ( lets hope not ) insurance companies will do their utmost to 'deny' the claim if any damage has been done.

you have been warned

They will try to wriggle out of any insurance claim especially when it comes to 'drining in the snow' even if it's a 4x4 !!

Posted

Let's be honest we are all cold lovers and therefore biased and could be called cold rampers so we have no right to say cold /mild rampers etc, were just all interested in the forecast, Mr Monopoly was wrong for today but eve i said this morning that this would be rain in alot of places it just proves how hard our weather is to predict.

fi'n ffan o dywydd gaeafol yn y gaeaf a tywydd hafol yn yr haf.

I prefer winter weather in the winter and summer weather in the summer.

Don't think its too much to ask personally

Posted

~Glad you mentioned south east wales as well....would not want to be left out. lol

Like you haven't had enough tonight already !! lol

Posted

When is the heavier stuff coming mate? i'm going to head off to bed in 5 mins.

Your about to get it in the next 15 mins mate

Posted

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! down with global warming 0h it never existed in the 1st place - just a figment of the governments imagination and tax raising agendas

Weather is cyclic. Them idiots only have to look and they would see. But of course it is a con. And now the government has got in the act that proves it. Just a way to raid your wallet. lol. Now when global warming is shown to be what it is, after a few winters like this, they will find a way to tax us to pay for us to have global warming rotfl...

Posted

Hi,just wondering, my kids go to sketty school,are you near there and what do you think of the chances of it being open tomorrow??

There is quite a bit of snow around that area, however, as it would appear its not freezing yet,and the roads still look ok ish.

Personally there is no reason for it to close , but some H and S bod will no doubt deem it closeable somehow.

Could be tricky if your driving as you may not be able to get up the side of the school (on the hill that is).

I think the schools are more positively minded now, and i think it will be open.(60/40)!!

Posted

Like you haven't had enough tonight already !! lol

It's actually getting a bit scary up here - if I didn't believe that by the weekend a thaw was setting in I'd be a bit concerned that things would be getting a bit out of hand here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard

Unless your in North Wales where we get the tail end of everything, theres sod all left by the time it gets here, doesnt matter whether its from the south west or east, its run dry and always light. Bar the really low temps, snow wise its service as usual for the north

where in north wales are you??? snowing here in north wales now

Posted

Haha i started writing going to the exam earlier, i argued with the headmaster saying carmarthenshire education board should have joined with powys and ceredigion agains the exam proceding and then there mite have been more of a case and he told me that people who live in close proximity could stil lmake it and therefore it was unfair on them so i said this school as a datgylch(i dnw the english word sorry) of around 20 miles and half of thats brecon beacons national park or on the outskirts, Glanaman, Garnant, Gwaun cae gurwen, Brynaman, Cwmllynfell, Ystradowen, Ystragynlais etc. So i told him he was being villagist :lazy: (racist but to villages) he said that the situation layed with the exam board and you can always do it in the summer then i fought ide better not argue anymore :lazy: and then we got send home early.

villagist!!! lol you deserve a pass for that one line. Seriously coming down in Bridgend at the mo 4 inches in my back garden now!! :lazy: