Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Im starting to get slightly worried about my holiday plans, is it possible that my flight from Heathrow could be distrupted, im leaving the 13th of feb?

Posted

Can't see what all the fuss is about really - seems to me to be in somewhat of a holding pattern - no give or take on either side. Is this a good snow scenario? unsure.gif

Posted

wow this place died did u get a covering up pencoedcea

slight - wasn't expecting much - just what we got - looking towards the next "proper" freezer spell - I think it's just on the horizon!

Im starting to get slightly worried about my holiday plans, is it possible that my flight from Heathrow could be distrupted, im leaving the 13th of feb?

At the mo I'd say that's too far away to tell but - if what's possibly gonna come to fruition let's just say it may well be a challenge - you may get lucky and it might just be cold and dry but all the signs are for another disruptive spell of weather!

Posted

slight - wasn't expecting much - just what we got - looking towards the next "proper" freezer spell - I think it's just on the horizon!

Where are you getting this from Andy? I can't see anything more than a 'normal winter' in Jan/Feb. But then again I was very surprised that it snowed today where I was!! N x

Posted

Where are you getting this from Andy? I can't see anything more than a 'normal winter' in Jan/Feb. But then again I was very surprised that it snowed today where I was!! N x

The models are hinting at a easterly followed by a northerley so are the met.

Posted

What's going to happen next week is far far from certain. GFS is quite good, UKMO meh and the ECM is a horror show... total pattern reset that would likely end this winter.

Personally I think Feb will be mild and wet.

agree - unfortunately!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Its all up in the air as they say. It would be most unusual for another spell comparable to the dec-jan one to come to fruition as that was the longest cold spell since 1986. No signs of it just yet, and the longer the delay, the less of winter left to achieve this.

Posted

Good old Andy still here and has yet to wilt like most others.

At the moment there is a clash of the titans going on with the GFS and ECM fully locked horns.

GFS is in the cold blue corner , whilst ECM is in the mild red corner.

Time is running out and surely it must be tomorrow when we should know which one will be the victor.

I would say its 50/50 in favour of either, however there seems to be growing thinking towards northerly/north westerly flows later on after a breakdown.

I base this knowledge/guess work on a mixture of thinking from the model output thread.

And yes Gavin from autoglass does look a bit smug , and too cheesy if you ask me, bet hes never done a hard days graft in his life.

Back onto the wintry theme, whilst driving around and doing a job in Monmouthsire , i witnessed picture postcard scenery, with about a inch of lying snow and still falling at about 11am when i departed.

Nothing on the M4 until the Chepstow area then , a bit of elevation and hey presto , wonderland.

A brief flash of winter, however, will that be a warning for whats to come ? or is it to be hello atlantico until we have our now early summer in April / May.

Just here to keep things ticking over , and add another post just for the sake of adding a post, so it looks like the Wales thread is the place to be.

Keep it going folks or we get closed down.

the wine-o 18z gfs compair to 12z. shes like me on a friday night

only sunday what a mess

wow i replyed to my self now it is a mess

1. Which one of these revolving weather systems is the smallest: hurricane, typhoon, tropical cyclone, tornado?
  2. Aside of the amusing reference popularised by Frank Zappa, what is the usual cause of a large-scale 'yellow snow' weather effect seen in certain parts of the world?
  3. What is the line on a weather chart which joins points of equal pressure?
  4. What colour of a single rainbow is on the inside of the rainbow's arc, given the generally defined seven-colour rainbow?
  5. Who invented the mercury thermometer?
  6. Okta is a unit of measurement of what?
  7. What common term refers to the amount of water vapour that is held in the air?
  8. Treasure Island author Robert Louis Stevenson's father was responsible for what significant weather-related invention?
  9. What shipping forecast area lies immediately South of Forties off the British Isles?
  10. What common term refers to the movement of air from a high pressure to a low pressure zone?
  11. What is O3 (O followed by the number 3, usually shown in sub-script)?
  12. What wind speed limit applies for setting athletics sprinting and jumping records?
  13. What were all girls from 1953 to 1979, and thereafter alternating boys and girls?
  14. What is the circulating Atlantic ocean current which warms Western Europe?
  15. What's the more exotic name of the 'Northern Lights' visible under certain conditions in the Northern Hemisphere night sky?
  16. What is a haboob?
  17. What is the childlike name given to the significant weather activity linked to sea temperature rise in the Pacific Ocean?
  18. What are the narrow bands of strong winds called which move around the world between about six and twelve miles high?
  19. What is the unit of measurement of wind speed?
  20. What is the 'ology' term for the study or science of the weather (that's short-term weather systems and effects, not long-term climatology)?
  21. What was the name of the 1992 hurricane storm which caused massive damage to the Bahamas, Florida and Louisiana?
  22. Towards which direction (North, East, South or West) is a rainbow normally seen in the afternoon?
  23. What cloud term means 'sheet' or 'sheetlike' or 'layer'?
  24. (Aside from a back and a front) how many sides or points does every snowflake have?
  25. The 'Inter-tropical Convergence Zone', where the trade winds meet near the equator to produce a band of relatively very still air, which can strand sailing ships, is known more prosaically as what?
  26. In the Northern hemisphere an area of low pressure produces what wind direction?
  27. What is the most common gas in the earth's atmosphere?
  28. What type of cloud is normally associated with thunderstorms?
  29. The heaviest recorded hailstones weighed (approximately) 25gms, 100gms, 500gms or 1kg?
  30. What number does 'storm' equate to on the Beaufort Scale of wind force?
  31. What is minus 40 degrees Farenheit expressed as degrees Centigrade?

post-10880-12640282781628_thumb.png

post-10880-12640282884628_thumb.png

post-10880-12640282990328_thumb.png

post-10880-12640283075828_thumb.png

post-10880-12640289950228_thumb.gif

Posted

Oh dear no messages all day,this thread will surely die.

Hello?

Even Andymusic has gone??

Have we given up?

I'm watchin'. Always watchin'

Keep the faith. I suspect Andy is out with his girlfriend buying a new freezer. In the volvo.

There is no way this winter is over. It's like half time at the football.

Ha - that was Mr E hacking into my account. As far as I'm concerned half time is the good bit in the football.

Don't let this thread die guys. It might be pouring with rain outside but imagine if it was snow....yahoo.gif

Posted

Pouring with rain here. 2 centigrade. If only it was just a little bit colder :)

Posted

Andy moved to east uk because they forecaste a fair bit of snow there sunday.

(normal)

The murmurings for this forthcoming cold snap turning into a northerly later on seem to be getting louder.

A northerly/north westerly is the magic scenario for west wales is it not,and at the end of January start of February also??

I have not spent enough time in the area to know but i would say so??

Come on one more snow day please.

Posted

The problem with Wales is that we often get a lot of snow from battlegrounds but the atlantic usually turns it to slush within days.An easterly is not that great because any precip with it has to travel a long way to reach us,as with a northern attack.

Speaking from a personal viewpoint,a south-west led mild v cold event is best for us but these events are always marginal and often short-lived.

Anyway,it's been a great winter so far and whilst i think it'll be a quiet few weeks,i certainly dont think winter is over yet

Posted

Pouring with rain here. 2 centigrade. If only it was just a little bit colder sad.gif

Would still probably been pouring with rain. I have been in the alps at minus something and it still manages to rain!!!

Mr E back. It did rain in the alps once when we were skiing for about an hour. Then we had sleet for about an hour. Then we had blizzard conditions for 36 hours. Just wanted to clarify.

Edited by Elnonio

Posted

I am around guys - models are throwing up a little no mans land rubbish at the mo - but still cold - so near but no cigar - still don't think we'll have to wait too long though before we hit the jackpot again!

I'm watchin'. Always watchin'

Keep the faith. I suspect Andy is out with his girlfriend buying a new freezer. In the volvo.

There is no way this winter is over. It's like half time at the football.

Ha - that was Mr E hacking into my account. As far as I'm concerned half time is the good bit in the football.

Don't let this thread die guys. It might be pouring with rain outside but imagine if it was snow....yahoo.gif

We didn't get a new freeezer but we had to get a new washer/dryer as in the last cold spell it went bang - the guys delivering it had to walk it up our country lane in the snow hours before the mega blizzard last week - I then had plenty of time (being stuck at home) to get the old one out and plumb the new one in - great new model - only needs a cold feed - heats all the water it needs up itself!yahoo.gif

Posted

I am around guys - models are throwing up a little no mans land rubbish at the mo - but still cold - so near but no cigar - still don't think we'll have to wait too long though before we hit the jackpot again!

I love your optomism (even though I can't spell it), I believe as long as you do..... fingers crossed.blush.gif lol