Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

11c will do that I suppose + wind and rain tonight will put the final nail into it - don't mourn though, I think we have more of the white stuff to come yet before this winter is over - bit sad though, like losing an old friend!

Yup, looks like lots of heavy rain tonight... that should be the coup de grace to our snow. At least it was quick and painless for the poor stuff. Better than a long drawn out messy slushy demise I suppose...

Posted

with the wind and rain tonight snow should have mostly gone by tomorrow and I did get my car out and the temp guage on my car reached the heady heights of 11c - amazing - pratically tropical since before xmas! - GFS is still playing around with the idea that the siberian high will come back to haunt us with more cold and snow (even though it's an outlier) - something to keep an eye on though - may be Joe B's thoughts for around the end of next week could be right - his blog today says something about Feb being in the top 5 -10 of cold for 50 years and the top 10 - 15 for cold since the 1800s - so, he's still going for lots of cold and snow - we shall soon see if he's onto something shan't we!

Certainly is Graigwen Bennytes - did you see the front off a car on the side of the road half way down - must have crashed yesterday sliding down the Graigerhorn!

now you come to mention it, I did see a car with the front smashed in, a black, or very dark blue one, I saw, was that it?(can't remember if it was there I saw it, but i definitely saw that today somewhere)

:)

Insane winds blowing here now. very loud.

Edited by bennytes

Posted

now you come to mention it, I did see a car with the front smashed in, a black, or very dark blue one, I saw, was that it?(can't remember if it was there I saw it, but i definitely saw that today somewhere)

laugh.gif

Insane winds blowing here now. very loud.

Yes - that was it mate

Posted

well the cold high is not far away and something must be telling them that the cold will be effecting the atlantic front that will be making in roads that day - should be very interesting and get this thread busy again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just seen the weather watch for wednesday! could be interesting. No snow left here apart from a small patch on the garden where the snowman was! Much warmer today and yesterday with heavy rain, so far had 28.2mm of rain in the last 24hours.

Posted

metoffice have a crazy warning out for wednesday

Makes no sense! Doesn't agree with their forecast for weather or their forecast for temperature as far as I can see. Am I missing something??! unsure.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Lovely day here. Sunshine, 10 degrees, light winds. Sea mist very picturesque.

woody

Posted

Hi everyone.

With my height,i may get a bit of wet snow but this warning seems a tad ott for anywhere south of Manchester,in my opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

As ,y family originates from Wales I find myself crossing the water quite often to visit family and fiends.

Today I took a bit of a detour and ended up on top of the Tumble on the Abergavenny - Bleanavon road, there was still loads of Snow left and the fishing lake at the top was still frozen.

Wales10.jpg

Wales12.jpg

Wales13.jpg

Wales14.jpg

Posted

Makes no sense! Doesn't agree with their forecast for weather or their forecast for temperature as far as I can see. Am I missing something??! unsure.gif

Forecaste possible snow for highground wednesday sleet for lowground, snow for east uk though. Edited by keithlucky

As ,y family originates from Wales I find myself crossing the water quite often to visit family and fiends.

Today I took a bit of a detour and ended up on top of the Tumble on the Abergavenny - Bleanavon road, there was still loads of Snow left and the fishing lake at the top was still frozen.

Wales10.jpg

Wales12.jpg

Wales13.jpg

Wales14.jpg

Superb Pics! this is whats on my dorr step and we still have snow lying around town! As for the fishing pond on the top! lol Not quite a fishing pond! Its known locally as the keepers pond and was used during the industrial revolution!

Temp here in Blaenavon around 3-4 oC today and yesterday while down in Undy and Magor it was 10oC massive difference

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Hi Guys,

Sad to see the thread quiet - might pick up next week?

I notice the Beeb forecast going for snow in 'South Wales' Tuesday night/Weds morning and yet the graphics for snow were not on South Wales - this is another 'we don't know/ we are unsure' - I cannot see where we will get snow with the air temps etc - be glad to be wrong but this does look a further north and even then only for the higher elevation event.

Anyone else feel the same?

JK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

How can METO issue a warning for heavy snow to most of Wales when they are forecasting temps which are too high for snow and heavy rain?

Damn good question Jay. Temps showing 3-4oC at night or something like that and forecasting snow. What's going on? Covering their ar**s methinks.

Posted

The NAE model run suggests snow.

Edited by A_T

Posted

I see this once great and thriving thread is dying now.

I shall pop in from time to time just to keep it ticking over.

Sooooooooooo??

Errm ,..... see they got snow....somewhere in europe... yes, hmm ok.

Ill get my coat.

Posted

How can METO issue a warning for heavy snow to most of Wales when they are forecasting temps which are too high for snow and heavy rain?

I'm with you on this one Jay - temps seem too high for snow - GFS has backtracked a little mind from about 4 - 5c down to 1 - 2c - but that still seems marginal for snow so I think this one will be nowcasting - for some reason the meto are really suggesting that the high in the east is having more of an effect than is being let on via the models - so we shall see - hope everyone's oki doki - still feel that sometime around the 25th or very soon after we'll be back in the freezer properly and this thread will come alive once more

Posted

Major snows over the weekend forecasted if the GFS 18z comes off - it pushes the front due over us thursday into friday and then back over us saturday/sunday and then holds the front over wales from then on - snowing continously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!