Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Lol,

Wheelie bins i really dont know, as dependant on what was in the wheelie bin?? eg :-rotting food would raise the temperature on the wheelie bin lid , so you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you measured from said bin.

Im sure some take it very seriously, i generally find that when someone says 6 inches it is usually 3, and that the ratio of accuracy is usually 2-1 , with 2 being the estimate and 1 being the actual.

A full topographical survey i think is required of your garden before and after the snow event.

May be the local councils could create new wacky posts like they do normally

OFFICIAL SNOW DEPTH MEASURER REQUIRED

candidates will be required to work 3 - 4 months of the year and measure snow depths from various parts of the county - maths degrees would be helpful but not essential - company 4x4 car provided and fur coat - renumeration pro rata - £30,000 and all the summer leave you can take!

Edited by andymusic

Posted

GFS is really starting to play around with the idea of the battlezone between mild atlantic and cold high will be right over britain next week meaning we could be in for a lot of snow! - watch this space - starting tuesday after our little break over the weekend which won't be that warm anyway

Posted

May be the local councils could create new wacky posts like they do normally

OFFICIAL SNOW DEPTH MEASURER REQUIRED

candidates will be required to work 3 - 4 months of the year and measure snow depths from various parts of the county - maths degrees would be helpful but not essential - company 4x4 car provided and fur coat - renumeration pro rata - £30,000 and all the summer leave you can take!

Who do i give my cv too????????

Coming down the hill from the top of Tycoch area earlier , i did see a swansea council flat back vehicle, and 3 council folk breaking up a rotting snowman which was near the bus shelter just above Sketty primary school, it was not in the way as the pavement ends where it was, they were hacking at its carcass like crazed vultures ,and then just shovelling it into a nearby tree.

WHAT POSSESSED THEM TO DO THAT????

Did someone tell them to do that??

Exterminate all snow men near roads.

Pathetic, so pathetic i almost crashed as i stared in dis belief.

Posted

Who do i give my cv too????????

Coming down the hill from the top of Tycoch area earlier , i did see a swansea council flat back vehicle, and 3 council folk breaking up a rotting snowman which was near the bus shelter just above Sketty primary school, it was not in the way as the pavement ends where it was, they were hacking at its carcass like crazed vultures ,and then just shovelling it into a nearby tree.

WHAT POSSESSED THEM TO DO THAT????

Did someone tell them to do that??

Exterminate all snow men near roads.

Pathetic, so pathetic i almost crashed as i stared in dis belief.

The council anti snowmen patrol = anti-fun police! - ridiculous

Anything that is fun to do is always curbed - while hard work and toil is nurchered and pushed to the enth degree - we are just slaves to this government - unless your a banker (central london only) - then you are a slave to your bonuses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dirol.gif - or a politician, a slave to your expense account

Edited by andymusic

Posted

The council anti snowmen patrol = anti-fun police! - ridiculous

Things do look interesting for the coming weeks having read the model output discussions, but , we 99% on this site are cold rampers ,and will look for any small sign of a return , and cling to it.

Not saying any of it is wrong, but im not going to get carried away until i start seeing things within the 5 day time frame.

Burger van at the ready for the slopes of south wales.....

Posted

Things do look interesting for the coming weeks having read the model output discussions, but , we 99% on this site are cold rampers ,and will look for any small sign of a return , and cling to it.

Not saying any of it is wrong, but im not going to get carried away until i start seeing things within the 5 day time frame.

Burger van at the ready for the slopes of south wales.....

I'm basing my hunches on Joe B's predictions + the high being so close + it's been such a different winter this year it's likely to deliver shortly again + feb is usually the coldest month and if january was as cold as it was - how cold numbingly cold could feb turn out to be - God knows! - All good signs that the snow isn't gonna be far away and probably in our back yard/garden - I try not to cold ramp but all the signs for this are there right now - if it was a mild winter then I'd succumb to that and we'd be desperately looking for a 1 - 2c to give a marginal sleet fest - but it's not - so snow will be back and major snows at that if Joe B has his long range speciality forecast spot on like he did with the 1st 10 days of this year!

I don't need to cold ramp anyway - there's 3ft drifts outside my door right now!

Edited by andymusic

My last post in here, very misty and steady thaw continuing but still plenty of snow around, how much will be left after overnight rain is another matter.

Joe B has does well this year, but most winters he is way off the mark

Posted

Heavy snow falling here. Current temp -2C. Mild air seems to be pushing fast into west Wales so can see it turning to rain later on

Edit: Just spoke to my parents who live down in Yr Wyddgrug and its falling as mostly rain there and is frezzing to surfaces as it falls. There have heard a lot of emergency service vehicle sirens this morning, my guess would be accidents on the ice.

Edited by Hywel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

Hywel - any idea what the A494 is like? My drive to work (to Liverpool) takes me along that, then down the by-pass and on past chester. Sounds like a fun journey! I have +3oC here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well i guess this will be my last post then instead, still snow on the grass and slush on the paths but the rain is washing it away.

Posted

we have heavy mist/fog and still loads of snow - hoping to dig my car out today to get more supplies before the next lot comes a long! - been raining mind so the thaw really starts to get going

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

we have heavy mist/fog and still loads of snow - hoping to dig my car out today to get more supplies before the next lot comes a long! - been raining mind so the thaw really starts to get going

What next lot? :wallbash: Could be 2 weeks+ of mild weather now, looks odds on to be honest. The Atlantic has fired up big style now and it's hard to stop it when it's in full flow.

Posted

Heavy snow falling here. Current temp -2C. Mild air seems to be pushing fast into west Wales so can see it turning to rain later on

Edit: Just spoke to my parents who live down in Yr Wyddgrug and its falling as mostly rain there and is frezzing to surfaces as it falls. There have heard a lot of emergency service vehicle sirens this morning, my guess would be accidents on the ice.

That happened here as well, we had about 5 minutes of really heavy snow and then it suddenly changed to rain.

Posted

What next lot? laugh.gif Could be 2 weeks+ of mild weather now, looks odds on to be honest. The Atlantic has fired up big style now and it's hard to stop it when it's in full flow.

You may be right - I still think the high is still threatening and I'm still keeping an eye on Joe B's prediction of major snows returning by next week! - This could well be a real test of his forecasting skills if he's seeing something else that the models are not showing right now - but his speaciality is in long term forecasting so I'm willing to side with him for now and just see how all this turns out! - he's been extremely accurate so far this winter so I've no reason to doubt him yet!

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Would be cool if he was right :) I honestly don't see it now though, he is fighting a battle against 3 big models and if he beats them it will be a miracle!

On a side note... I might be in the valleys tomorrow, thinking about getting the coach down to stay with my relatives this weekend, not made a decision yet though!

Posted

What next lot? :blush: Could be 2 weeks+ of mild weather now, looks odds on to be honest. The Atlantic has fired up big style now and it's hard to stop it when it's in full flow.

Great forecaste ,NOT.

Posted

was in your part of the world today delivering. roads Ok now, even that really steep one, Graigwen, is it?

went to Caerphilly after, and they got hit really bad. still, even now the side roads are treacherous. this snow seems really reluctant to thaw in some places.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

What a rapid thaw! From a good 3 inches covering this time yesterday to virtually zero now, bar the remains of the snowman!

Milder than expected with a max of 8.6c and a strong southerly wind.

Minima past 2 nights both just above zero, so even warmer than I predicted on Tuesday evening.

Posted

with the wind and rain tonight snow should have mostly gone by tomorrow and I did get my car out and the temp guage on my car reached the heady heights of 11c - amazing - pratically tropical since before xmas! - GFS is still playing around with the idea that the siberian high will come back to haunt us with more cold and snow (even though it's an outlier) - something to keep an eye on though - may be Joe B's thoughts for around the end of next week could be right - his blog today says something about Feb being in the top 5 -10 of cold for 50 years and the top 10 - 15 for cold since the 1800s - so, he's still going for lots of cold and snow - we shall soon see if he's onto something shan't we!

Certainly is Graigwen Bennytes - did you see the front off a car on the side of the road half way down - must have crashed yesterday sliding down the Graigerhorn!

Edited by andymusic

Wow, what a rapid thaw. We had most of our snow intact this morning, about 7 inches or so left. Now it's mainly green with only patchy slush. By tomorrow I expect there'll be practicallynothing left except from where it's been shoveled up. That 10 inches sure vanished pretty fast.

The Atlantic is really back with vengeance.

Posted

Wow, what a rapid thaw. We had most of our snow intact this morning, about 7 inches or so left. Now it's mainly green with only patchy slush. By tomorrow I expect there'll be practicallynothing left except from where it's been shoveled up. That 10 inches sure vanished pretty fast.

The Atlantic is really back with vengeance.

11c will do that I suppose + wind and rain tonight will put the final nail into it - don't mourn though, I think we have more of the white stuff to come yet before this winter is over - bit sad though, like losing an old friend!