Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

The temperature and dew point are now dropping. Dew into minus figures and temperature only just above freezing. See the front has now stalled, came to a stop. Just a case of how long this is going to last before it peters out now I think...

Posted

2 or 3 degs colder and this morning's snow would have caused absolute chaos around here,although the precip may not have been so intense

Next weeks easterly has been downgraded as well which now looks like being on the cool side of average but mainly dry

Posted

2 or 3 degs colder and this morning's snow would have caused absolute chaos around here,although the precip may not have been so intense

Next weeks easterly has been downgraded as well which now looks like being on the cool side of average but mainly dry

possibly - but we're not gonna know about any snow/precip closer to the time really so let's just get the cold in 1st

Posted

Latest GFS has upgraded the easterly. The charts really don't have a clue at the moment. My instinct is for a cold overall outlook..

Posted

Latest GFS has upgraded the easterly. The charts really don't have a clue at the moment. My instinct is for a cold overall outlook..

February's luming it's cold head and after our freezing january - what could it come up with - igloos at the ready!cold.gif

Posted

snowing really heavy now sticking to paths as well. roofs and cars are white at least a couple of cms on them. I am from blackwood gwent does anybody know how far above sea level i am . Hope this snow carries on really thick now!

Posted

February's luming it's cold head and after our freezing january - what could it come up with - igloos at the ready!cold.gif

Looks like the Fishmeister is also undecided on the battle to come - trying not to get too positive but hope is rizing all the time

"Further ahead, the cold from the east is still desperate to push back toward the UK but at the same time Atlantic systems want to push in from the west and which way the battle will go as we move into next week is uncertain at this stage..."

snowing really heavy now sticking to paths as well. roofs and cars are white at least a couple of cms on them. I am from blackwood gwent does anybody know how far above sea level i am . Hope this snow carries on really thick now!

Well Gelligaer not too far away from you is just over 700 foot so I would guess you being a little lower down would be somwhere between 550 to 650 foot?

Posted

Snowing nicely but not sticking :). What a waste of good snow :whistling:.

It's trying to on the grass but not amounting to much, dusting shows when the snow is heavy.

The ground is wet so unless the flakes come down thicker it won't accumulate much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

No snow here, not even rain, just dry

Posted

About 220m I'd say looking at the OS maps!

Posted

heavy snow now for about 3 and a half hours and,even at my height,"only" 5-7cm of snow on the ground

Just shows how spoilt we've been this winter if im moaning over this!!!

Posted

sleet and wet snow on and off here all morn not stuck down low but mountains and bwlch look well covered,shall take a drive up bwlch later to see how much came down up there.

Posted

heavy snow now for about 3 and a half hours and,even at my height,"only" 5-7cm of snow on the ground

Just shows how spoilt we've been this winter if im moaning over this!!!

yes we've been spoilt but I don't think the end of this winter is here yet - more MAJOR snows to come through february!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Been snowing nearly all day here in Merthyr. Just imaging if ground temps had been lower.

It was sticking at home first thing. Wonder if it's accumulated in the village

Posted

Nice big flakes falling but it's not heavy enough to start accumulating. Melts a few seconds after contact with ground.

Posted

About 220m I'd say looking at the OS maps!

This is an interseting tool I found on the web - might be worth bookmarking for those of us who are useless with Maps

http://www.earthtools.org/

Not sure if anyone uses it but seems to suggest the centre of Blackwood High Street is @ 197m / 646ft Depends where in Blackwood your living of course but seems a reasonable response - my height in Penpedairheol is 199m / 652 feet which again is close to what I expected.

Posted

Nice big flakes falling but it's not heavy enough to start accumulating. Melts a few seconds after contact with ground.

Hi Jamie, when you have spare moment, would you pop your location into your avatar please? It's just to help the other members recognise where you are

Many thanks :)

Brian

Posted

Hi Jamie, when you have spare moment, would you pop your location into your avatar please? It's just to help the other members recognise where you are

Many thanks :)

Brian

Done biggrin.gif

Edited by Jamie.ed

Posted

Snow has stopped here now, as i expected didn't hardly get anything except for a covering on the grass and mountains

Posted

Snow has stopped here now, as i expected didn't hardly get anything except for a covering on the grass and mountains

exactly what was promised - colder weather will be along shortly though after the weekend!

Same here. The mountains are very white but I only have a thin slushy covering.

Temp rising now, up to 2.1c after 1.3c early this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had rain most of the day, much colder today though. Is there any chance of snow next week? or is it ment to be milder still?

Posted

Had rain most of the day, much colder today though. Is there any chance of snow next week? or is it ment to be milder still?

GFS 12z today - goes for cold or very cold for the next two weeks starting sunday!