Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

A doddle might be a bit wet though.

Same here most of the fresh and therefore unfrozen snow has disappeared.

Currently 0.6c and misty. A good 3 inches still left though.

It also didn't help there was no real frost last night.

Posted

I plan on traveling up to the midlands on Saturday using the M4 M50 route to Pershore and Evesham, anyone got a rough assessment on current conditions and likely road conditions for Saturday?

snow melt/thaw = a doddle

Posted

Weatheronline gives snow for wales tues wednesday away from the coasts,wonder what charts do they use they have been pretty accurate so far this winter.

Watching michael fish weather forecaste for the week ahead back up weatheronline somewhat turning alot colder with the beast from the east rearing into action. Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Joe B's blog has been updated and he's going for MAJOR SNOWS to come back later next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he's also given the hadley center another broad side and told them their forecast for a mega hot year is already pretty much in thye bin although he's saying there will be a hot summer! - so - our welsh cymru forum will surely be back within the week even though it's being prematurely closed tonight!

Posted

Snow should be loosening it's grip by then so roads should be reasonably ok - just be a bit careful that's all - by saturday it should have all but gone with a big snow melt and floods!

I doubt snow will of lossened it`s grip on the breacons beacon at all by tomorrow all the hills in Wales will be treachous temperatures are lower tonight with clear skies then rain/sleet mountain snow to come so rain on freezing surfaces might even be freezing rain, a hell of alot snow here still,temps don`t look to be that high going by Wales forecast at 4c max all weekened here anyway.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme snow rain wind

The snow front seems to have stalled. And the wind is going back towards an south easterly on the East coast. The warm air may not make it apart from the far south west. I hope it does as it will be chaos if this lot don't melt up here. I well remember winters in the olden days. laughs - when mild were promised and huge dumpings in the West for the mild to never appear. Also noticed a large dumping of something on it's way up across from France. That just may make Wales this evening. I am not sure this is over - the models are squeezing out this mild and not going to thaw today as temperature still below freezing up here in the Rhondda...

I live in brynmawr and we still have loads of snow no sign of it shifting... need to be a good thaw to move it.......will let you know...

Posted

I doubt snow will of lossened it`s grip on the breacons beacon at all by tomorrow all the hills in Wales will be treachous temperatures are lower tonight with clear skies then rain/sleet mountain snow to come so rain on freezing surfaces might even be freezing rain, a hell of alot snow here still,temps don`t look to be that high going by Wales forecast at 4c max all weekened here anyway.

I was noticing that the GFS was back tracking on it's temp figures, seems it still is a bit as the beeb forecasters are mixing in sleet/snow with the rain possibly over the weekend and they are blaming the fact the temps are gonna feel low by the rather nasty winds we are gonna have so - it's not gonna feel tropical that's for sure i agree - i was just hoping we'd get a little thaw here as we are still struggling to get out of our country lane and we really need to get out and get some more supplies before we have any more major snow fall which Joe B is on about for later next week and through into March!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

I was noticing that the GFS was back tracking on it's temp figures, seems it still is a bit as the beeb forecasters are mixing in sleet/snow with the rain possibly over the weekend and they are blaming the fact the temps are gonna feel low by the rather nasty winds we are gonna have so - it's not gonna feel tropical that's for sure i agree - i was just hoping we'd get a little thaw here as we are still struggling to get out of our country lane and we really need to get out and get some more supplies before we have any more major snow fall which Joe B is on about for later next week and through into March!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got a link to that andy?

sounds ominous

Edited by bennytes

Posted

got a link to that andy?

sounds ominous

got a link to that andy?

sounds ominous

Joe B's blog is here - click on the link then click on Joe B's blog down the left hand side

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/index.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0

"This is by no means the end of this winter. It will come back again and stubbornly last into March "

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Right well this will prob be my last post lol still snow here maybe 3inches in places. Hope everyone has a great few days and weekend and hope its not too long before the wales/cymru cold spell thread is back!!

Posted

Yes there was more of the white stuff in the forecast this cold air over the snowfields(causing fog too) is really difficult to shift and S-ly to SE-ly next couple of days doesn`t say mild,raw wet windy and unpleasant maybe some surprise transient snow.

Now I don`t see an easterly on the models next week I don`t want the snow to go so much.

But I did see a cold easterly push back on GFS 0z run so it could still happen,expect quite abit of snow will thaw now,but GFS goes for alot milder temps to the BBC it maybe underestimating all this surface cold.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Right well this will prob be my last post lol still snow here maybe 3inches in places. Hope everyone has a great few days and weekend and hope its not too long before the wales/cymru cold spell thread is back!!

I think by the middle of next week we'll be on for the next course in this winters snowfest - so i would have thought net weather will instigate the area forums then!

It seems hardly worth scrapping them right now really - think the wintry weather will still continue here especially! - but obviously following Joe B's predictions major snows will return by the end of next week and stick with us till the middle of March!

Posted

Joe B's blog is here - click on the link then click on Joe B's blog down the left hand side

http://www.accuweath...ther&traveler=0

"This is by no means the end of this winter. It will come back again and stubbornly last into March "

Lol i see your still going strong Andy !! have you slept yet since that other evening??

That was some evening, i have seen some wild weather up around Aviemore a few times but to see it in Swansea was something else.

I read something earlier about this thread closing at midnight tonight.

The death knell has been sounded !!!

The grim reaper is just finishing his tea and hob nobs and will soon put this thread to death.

Been great, i hope its not too long before the next event.

However , this has all really re ignited my old passion for watching and witnessing the weather, so i shall be around to annoy you all for some time to come, that is unless i get banned again!!!!! for talking about a snow shield in Swansea !! Some people must have been seriously frustrated , and my snow shield posts must have sent them hurtling toward the report button!.

Once again the atlantic wins, but its not all bad as Sunday looks like a nice mild sunny day.

Lets have some serious cold soon, non stop ice days for at least two weeks for Swansea , with persistant heavy snowfall all over the country.

Ahaaaaa , whilst i remember Andy , talking of cold .... lol , what was the temperature last night??

Edited by pascalsbongo

Posted

i really hope that is not true. that will come close to bankrupting me.

2 months without work, or greatly reduced income anyway, is NOT funny.

i don't mind the odd snow, as long as it thaws away, and another event happens a couple of weeks later or something, but CONSTANTLY? no thanks!

Posted

i don't mind the odd snow, as long as it thaws away, and another event happens a couple of weeks later or something, but CONSTANTLY? no thanks!

Diversify into burger wagons near the new sledging resorts.

Posted

Lol i see your still going strong Andy !! have you slept yet since that other evening??

That was some evening, i have seen some wild weather up around Aviemore a few times but to see it in Swansea was something else.

The grim reaper is just finishing his tea and hob nobs and will soon put this thread to death.

However , this has all really re ignited my old passion for watching and witnessing the weather, so i shall be around to annoy you all for some time to come, that is unless i get banned again!!!!! for talking about a snow shield in Swansea !! Some people must have been seriously frustrated , and my snow shield posts must have sent them hurtling toward the report button!.

Once again the atlantic wins, but its not all bad as Sunday looks like a nice mild sunny day.

Lets have some serious cold soon, non stop ice days for at least two weeks for Swansea , with persistant heavy snowfall all over the country.

Ahaaaaa , whilst i remember Andy , talking of cold .... lol , what was the temperature last night??

We wont be off site for all you can come back and start kicking lampost pascal.

Posted

Been grabbing sleep as and when I can in between watching stupid motorists try their luck with the Graigerhorn today - some went over and slipped there way down while others took a look and thought better of it - a wise move I think - me even though I'd like to get my car out I'm glad I'm not trying my luck down that hill - when you drive up it you'd swear you'd been shot up into the air by Nasa in the shuttle being so steep - so they are either very brave or very stupid trying their luck

Cold will not be far away and this thread will be back shortly I'm sure - "Normal service will resume shortly" EH!

Not as cold as the GFS suggested it would be - you win your wager mate!wallbash.gif

I know it's not funny but may be you could open a ski shop or get a ski tow working - those lift passes in the alps cost a fortune - must be money in that

Posted

lol

well, there's a couple on here who'll never be out of work

the world will always need comedians.

:unsure:

Posted

Did you know that a 150m drag lift costs £250,000!! At least that's what the bloke on the dry ski slopes told me. No wonder the ski passes cost so much. Probably not so much money to be made really!!crazy.gif

I don't think Joe B is very balanced. He's a big cold and snow ramper. He doesn't know anything we can't find in the charts.

There is potential for next week but I don't see any confident signs fo anything yet. I'd say a snow free wet week is most likely for Wales but that can change.

Posted

Been grabbing sleep as and when I can in between watching stupid motorists try their luck with the Graigerhorn today - some went over and slipped there way down while others took a look and thought better of it - a wise move I think - me even though I'd like to get my car out I'm glad I'm not trying my luck down that hill - when you drive up it you'd swear you'd been shot up into the air by Nasa in the shuttle being so steep - so they are either very brave or very stupid trying their luck

Cold will not be far away and this thread will be back shortly I'm sure - "Normal service will resume shortly" EH!

Not as cold as the GFS suggested it would be - you win your wager mate!wallbash.gif

I know it's not funny but may be you could open a ski shop or get a ski tow working - those lift passes in the alps cost a fortune - must be money in that

It wasnt me who had a wager with you , infact i dont think anything was waged, i just pretended it was i think, it was your -12 versus that other members -2 (apologies for forgetting your name, think you were in glanamman or something).

Keith gets to keep his £100 also.

Cant wait for the next session of "my snow is deeper than your snow" , and harsh words exchanged between members about the calibration of their measuring device etc , as they bicker over 6.5 inches and 6.75 inches.

Come to think of it, and it may sound stupid but how do you measure the depth of snow?

I mean officially? , does it have to be a certain type of surface?, does the surface have to be a minimum of 10metres sqaured ? how many measurement must you take?? eg 1 per metre then average it all up?

Does the surface have to be in an open area??

Can we clarify the rules , so before the next debate about the deepest snow , we will all know where we stand?

If the snow is yellow does it still count?

Posted

Okey Dokey!

Due to lots of pleading from various members on the Different Regional Forums Have spoken with the powers that be................and

Tomorrow there will be a New Sub Forum above this one near where the Snow Reports Live called "Regional Threads" and all the Regionals are going to be moved there and stay put for the winter, so this thread will be kept open until tomorrow when it will be moved into it's new home!

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Did you know that a 150m drag lift costs £250,000!! At least that's what the bloke on the dry ski slopes told me. No wonder the ski passes cost so much. Probably not so much money to be made really!!crazy.gif

Extortion!

Im sure i could knock something up with a few motor gearboxes, inverter speed control, and a bit of wire for less than 10k, however it may not be very safe, and there would be a high potential for some serious horrific accidents.

Heard something on the radio about a farmer who knocked something up , anyone else catch that?

Posted

I didn't realise that snow depths were taken so seriously - I would have thought a good way would be to measure the inches of snow you have on your wheelie bin - that would seem fair (not including any avalanches caused by high winds - and then you would have to go looking for your highest drift as well to show off how windy you are!oops.gif

Extortion!

Im sure i could knock something up with a few motor gearboxes, inverter speed control, and a bit of wire for less than 10k, however it may not be very safe, and there would be a high potential for some serious horrific accidents.

Heard something on the radio about a farmer who knocked something up , anyone else catch that?

Yeah I did - looked brill - the alps come to wales - very enterprising farmer - these farmers really know how to make a buck or two - they are doing a roaring trade pulling idiot motorists out of the snow too!

YEAH - they are keeping the regional threads - WHOOPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!yahoo.gif

GFS 18z run is showing potential for more snow tuesday morning for wales

Posted

I didn't realise that snow depths were taken so seriously - I would have thought a good way would be to measure the inches of snow you have on your wheelie bin - that would seem fair (not including any avalanches caused by high winds - and then you would have to go looking for your highest drift as well to show off how windy you are!oops.gif

Lol,

Wheelie bins i really dont know, as dependant on what was in the wheelie bin?? eg :-rotting food would raise the temperature on the wheelie bin lid , so you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you measured from said bin.

Im sure some take it very seriously, i generally find that when someone says 6 inches it is usually 3, and that the ratio of accuracy is usually 2-1 , with 2 being the estimate and 1 being the actual.

A full topographical survey i think is required of your garden before and after the snow event.