Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

UK regions: North West England Wales South West England Yorkshire & Humber West Midlands London & South East England SW Scotland, Lothian & Borders East MidlandsHeavy SnowWed 20 JanThere is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England, Wales and southwest Scotland on Wednesday.

Outbreaks of rain are expected to turn increasingly to sleet or snow, especially over hills in central parts. There is a risk of significant accumulations, with perhaps locally 10cm leading to some disruption to travel.

Issued at: 1103 Sat 16 Jan

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

35mm of rain overnight, that obliterated any remaining snow.

37mm overnight here has obliterated the remains of the snowman!

Posted

Perhaps It's me who is turning soft but, despite the milder temps, it still feels rather

chilly today, particularly when your exposed to the wind. I certainly shan't be venturing

very far unless I'm forced to. I think it's going to be a Netweather by a nice cozy fire

day :lol:

To see that turn to green in a matter of hours was indeed a surprise, as I had expected a less mild incursion and a slower thaw. I find it hard to recall previous thaws of such speed in my lifetime, given such a pre-existing long-lived snow cover!

I don't remember a more rapid thaw either, it wasn't that mild and it was dry most of the day... ~7 inches of snow by morning, nothing by evening. Ah well - am glad of a little break to be honest, will enjoy the next lot more then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Perhaps It's me who is turning soft but, despite the milder temps, it still feels rather

chilly today, particularly when your exposed to the wind. I certainly shan't be venturing

very far unless I'm forced to. I think it's going to be a Netweather by a nice cozy fire

day :lol:

That's not very surprising. The strong wind and excessive cloud cover makes it feel similarly cold even though it is significantly warmer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Unless the temperature rises overnight it looks as though the current cold spell might squeeze out one more day as today is, so far, colder than yesterday aftenoon and evening. The slow thaw continues, with thick fog again, but we still have about 95% snow cover.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Unless the temperature rises overnight it looks as though the current cold spell might squeeze out one more day as today is, so far, colder than yesterday aftenoon and evening. The slow thaw continues, with thick fog again, but we still have about 95% snow cover.

Go up to Fox house TM the water is really running of the hills there which surprises me.

Temp here now 4c guess it'll peak at 4.5C and probably drop to around 2c depending on cloud cover. More cool than cold and feels quite barmy compared too recent days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Go up to Fox house TM the water is really running of the hills there which surprises me.

Temp here now 4c guess it'll peak at 4.5C and probably drop to around 2c depending on cloud cover. More cool than cold and feels quite barmy compared too recent days.

Temp' is 2.0c here and the thick fog makes it feel decidedly chilly. I'll be interested to get a report from my son when I see him tomorrow, he's 'walking' on Kinder Scout today. The snow was between waist and chest deep on the plateau last weekend when he was there so I can't imagine how difficult it will be now the snow has softened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Temp' is 2.0c here and the thick fog makes it feel decidedly chilly. I'll be interested to get a report from my son when I see him tomorrow, he's 'walking' on Kinder Scout today. The snow was between waist and chest deep on the plateau last weekend when he was there so I can't imagine how difficult it will be now the snow has softened.

Very interested too, I've got a mate up Mam Tor way today that will report to me the condition. Then it's my turn to go up the hills tommorrow. If temps decide to drop overnight, it could make things interesting up there...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Well I'm darned,just when you think it's all over Met-Office post up an advisory for upto 10cm snow next Wed in alot of areas,what's that all about. Is it time for round 2?shok.gif

Well im not sure, but the M/O has quite a bit of egg on its face at the moment, due to media etc to which they are closey now being watched on there current forecasting, I hope they have really got this right. They cant take to much more flack.

Posted

A weather advisory, is more like 'speculative thought' in my mind, it could easily dissapear as quickly as it was put on. Then again it could upgrade, but I would expect that too happen nearer the time.

Posted

The thaw will be slowed down or stopped at night when these ground frosts come.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn1817.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn4217.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn6617.png

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn9017.png

It does look mild in the daytime though.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn4817.png

But will take longer to thaw when it`s frozen back up.

More rain this evening then clear.

Tuesday should be cold.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Only a high of 5C today and that was with pretty mild uppers, shows you what the extensive cold spell did, makes me laugh whne people on TWO are saying no cold this coming week when we could record ground frost and air frosts almost every night, i guess night time doesnt count for cold, strange when it easily outnumbers daylight this time of year.

I also see no reason for people to worry over flooding the airmasses arent tropical this coming week so thankfully flooding shouldnt be a problem for most of course some western areas might get some but its nothing unusual in January.

Posted

Doesn't look particularly mild for the foreseeable future. A cold/cool week coming up with some snow to the hills. Temps a little below average with night time frosts in places. Will certainly make a pleasant change to those freezing temperatures we have experienced over the past few weeks. So no unseasonal mild rubbish and not sub zero temps. Should keep everyone happy B)

Posted

I also see no reason for people to worry over flooding the airmasses arent tropical this coming week so thankfully flooding shouldnt be a problem for most of course some western areas might get some but its nothing unusual in January.

The only flooding will be from all the melting snow and heavy rain last night,I havn`t a clue what the severn is like so I can`t comment,looks to be less snow over the hills further west so probably nothing to affect the rivers so much,very very wet here thats all I know from all the melt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well today failed the cold test.

Lets explain the cold test. You go to a football match two shirts on warm coat two sets of socks and a pair of gloves. By half time you've lost the feeling in your fingers and your feet feel like ice and you're wondering why you're sat there. You stay of course and a full time you seek the sanctuary of a warm pub to thaw out.

Today wearing slightly less than the above I didn't feel chilly until the end of the game so definitely fails the test.

Hardly a trace of any snow round here now although there's still some in the park. Should all be gone by the end of tomorrow.

Posted

This isnt something to do with the snow here in the uk, however yesterday when i mentioned why doesnt the uk have REALLY thick snow. Anyway i have stumbled across a very good news interview here in the usa from this year!:lol::drinks:Thats what i would love to see here, although i really cannot see that!

Posted

Ive seen theres a weather advisory from the met, i wont get my hopes up.

Given that the Mets advisory warning for snow last Sunday was suddenly cancelled at the last minute, there is every chance this one will do the same perhaps last minute again - 24 hours, its a wait and see scenario. Equally it could upgrade nearer the time or indeed switch focus. The Met are right to put it out I feel given the potential that exists, its a borderline situation.

Posted

Following on from post above, I've just watched the BBC forecast for Wednesday and they seem fairly confident of heavy snow at least over higher ground in central and northern parts of the country, though with maxes of 4 and 5 degrees you'd expect the snow to be reserved for places above about 300m. Plenty of time for upgrades still, evaporative cooling will be a key factor, generally places where the precipitation becomes very heavy will see greatest risk of low level snow, this most likely to occur in lower lying Pennine areas and probably Cumbria, think where rain is usually heaviest when it comes in off the atlantic - not in the east it is usually the west, this is why the advisory warning is not for eastern areas, because the precipitation will loose its intensity, forget where thicknesses may be at there coldest, the critical factor is where the precipitation is most likely to be intense, where the case temps will drop quite sharply.