Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

The rain missed here :) clear skies and temps are slowly dropping 3.8c shouldn`t be much more thaw tonight so it`ll make 20 days in a row with over half cover still 70% now...21 days is the next target.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

The cold spell is over , no matter how much we want to believe it isn't ...it is ...we're back to boring 'mildish/damp/dull winter weather :shok:

Edited by Spurry

Posted

The cold spell is over , no matter how much we want to believe it isn't ...it is ...we're back to boring 'mildish/damp/dull winter weather :shok:

Sunny sunday 7c max

Some cloud mondy 5c max

rain/snow tuesday 3c max

Just seen BBC weather.

Posted

Sunny sunday 7c max

Some cloud mondy 5c max

rain/snow tuesday 3c max

Just seen BBC weather.

Oh yes and thats gonna happen isn't it :shok:

Posted

If they are forecasting snow for the NW, i tend not to go with it. Its always wrong :o

Hear Hear , especially around these parts .. :shok:

Posted

I dont know why but whenever snow is forecast for my area, it never happens. However when its not forecast i get a good pasting (well for carlisle 2 or 3cm lol). My forecasts been updated all feel free to read my sig.

Posted

I dont know why but whenever snow is forecast for my area, it never happens. However when its not forecast i get a good pasting (well for carlisle 2 or 3cm lol). My forecasts been updated all feel free to read my sig.

We had the biggest snow fall for over 20 years last tuesday (5th), although the forecast said we would get some ...it wasn't expected to be anything like as much....i do hasten to add that prior to that fall we have had virtually nothing in the last 20yrs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Mild spell latest, 2c out there. Peak District higher hills still loaded with snow and more on the way, probably. I cast my mind back to 2006 or 2007 and tell myself we have become quite greedy the last two years... whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some people have been commenting on how great it is to be able to walk without worrying about slipping on the snow and ice, and that's completely understandable, especially given how dangerous it can be when sleet or rain falls upon snow cover and it then refreezes.

But as with most things to do with weather, there's another side to the coin. While I'm in Norwich I usually have a half-hour walk to the shops on a Saturday (15 minutes there, 15 minutes back) and the slippery conditions underfoot were a bit of an inconvenience last Saturday- an inconvenience that was gone today due to the thaw. However, I found today's driving drizzly rain to be a far bigger inconvenience...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

I have to say that snow in urban situations causes more problems than it's worth once the initial enjoyement fades away. However if a steady snow line holds at the 3/400m mark, it's just perfect, people living up the hills are much more used to that and are adequately equipped and it provides excellent winter walking conditions for the outdoor enthusiast. At the moment, it looks like we are heading into that kind of setup. I'm very happy about that. Give me a deal whereby I'll see nothing but cold rain all winter but snow loaded hills most of the season and I'll snatch your hand off...

Edited by La Bise

Posted

So much for a sunny day! Overcast here with a bit of brightness this morning. All the snow has gone apart from where its been piled up smile.gif

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Some people have been commenting on how great it is to be able to walk without worrying about slipping on the snow and ice, and that's completely understandable, especially given how dangerous it can be when sleet or rain falls upon snow cover and it then refreezes.

But as with most things to do with weather, there's another side to the coin. While I'm in Norwich I usually have a half-hour walk to the shops on a Saturday (15 minutes there, 15 minutes back) and the slippery conditions underfoot were a bit of an inconvenience last Saturday- an inconvenience that was gone today due to the thaw. However, I found today's driving drizzly rain to be a far bigger inconvenience...

I don`t like rain when theres snow about not the amount thats left now about 60% cover.

I don`t like rain/wind anyway the ground gets all wet and muddy.

I like ice when it`s white pack ice from snow it`s a challenge to walk on but I like it,it`s at least gone off our road now mainly but I did put some more salt on our steep gradient.

I`m quite happy with the amount of snow still left though not happy about the heavy rain late next week.

Midweek still showing snow,5.3c now and rather cloudy.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

BBC are still going for some snow on Wednesday. Their graphics even pointed to snow as far south as Birmingham, and mentioned upto 10cm on Northern hills.

I'm a little doubtful, I thought we'd need a longer period of entrenched cold like early Jan, but lets see how it plays out.

Posted

The fax should be interesting for wednesday there will be an east wind going by that as the low undercuts -3c upper air about here.

Even GFS shows below 0c upper air now down to -4c in the east.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn722.png

It won`t last long but it`s better than nothing,keep the snow going that bit longer.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn7817.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The fax should be interesting for wednesday there will be an east wind going by that as the low undercuts -3c upper air about here.

Even GFS shows below 0c upper air now down to -4c in the east.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn722.png

It won`t last long but it`s better than nothing,keep the snow going that bit longer.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn7817.png

Hi Snowyowl,

Posters on the MO keep discussing this "snow event" but imo it`s only gonna happen for High ground further North.

Ok surface temps look marginal but the dewpoints will mean sleet or rain for many in the band of perc.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn7210.png

A virtual non-event for lowland uk i think.

Posted

Hi Snowyowl,

Posters on the MO keep discussing this "snow event" but imo it`s only gonna happen for High ground further North.

Ok surface temps look marginal but the dewpoints will mean sleet or rain for many in the band of perc.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn7210.png

A virtual non-event for lowland uk i think.

Hi Phil.

I see your point this time we`re not in cold air to start with so it`ll be rain turning to wet snow not my favourite type east wind will favour the hills mainly I would think,the east on lower ground too with lower uppers.

Yesterday GFS was having none of it above 0c air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Hi Phil.

I see your point this time we`re not in cold air to start with so it`ll be rain turning to wet snow not my favourite type east wind will favour the hills mainly I would think,the east on lower ground too with lower uppers.

Yesterday GFS was having none of it above 0c air.

The problem further East maybe that the perc.band weakens and fragments as it pushes against the colder but dryer continental surface air.

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rtavn844.png

However you may see something at Ht. but i can`t see much lying snow generally from this feature.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted

My local weather forecaste plus national forecaste snow to return wednesday quiet a shock.

Only temporary, probably average temps after that until the end of the month, at the moment there are signs for a cold spell towards the end of the month into Feb