Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion

Coast

Posted

the continental flow is coming. the strength of it by T180 will depend on where the blocking is centered and its orientation. by day 10 it will be strong though - whether it comes a bit faster is dictated by the shortwave activity off the easern seaboard.

the trend from the nwp this morning is to send more enegy south which just adds to the possibilities by mid feb. i think part 3 will be better than parts 1 and 2 - the continent will be snow covered east of south and the north sea SST's are lower.

Posted

The last time I looked Lewis it hadn't even occurred yet!

T72 and within is reliable time frame, heres the 12z on the 26th;

Compare;

06z Today

post-2644-12646748664088_thumb.png

26th 12z

post-2644-12646746555388_thumb.png

Quite a difference if you ask me, as we get closer to the time frame, it downgrades...

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

I have rarely seen such an extensive cold pool over Central Europe as is projected in GFS 06z FI - This pool has escaped direct from the Artic - I think now that some sort of Easterly is on the cards - it's a matter of fine tuning

Yeah, looks like part of the PV has gone walkies!

Let's hope..

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Compare;

06z Today

26th 12z

Quite a difference if you ask me, as we get closer to the time frame, it downgrades...

That is a longer term upgrade if you look at the WAA into Greenland.

Any way it is good to see that the pattern suggested by the ECM lower stratospheric charts this morning has been played out to T+240 by the 06Z GFS.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

That is a longer term upgrade if you look at the WAA into Greenland.

Any way it is good to see that the pattern suggested by the ECM lower stratospheric charts this morning has been played out to T+240 by the 06Z GFS.

Yes the -5's that were over Greenland are now 0 deg at 850mb . I would still say the second week of Feb is likely to have a cold to very cold flow , either from the North / North East or East.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

The models have continued their evaluation of the energy distribution, especially wrt to the MMW. They may now be picking up on the downwelling negative zonal wind anomalies (easterlies) as well as pinpointing the displacement (another splitting?) of the polar vortex. All of this is bound to create model uncertainty and hence the colder and then milder model solutions we have been seeing. Mainly in the operationals.

On this basis the very good analysis that has been going on this morning by Dave (TEITS) Nick F and others lends a lot of credence for looking at the model output in FI. There are very good reasons for believing that an easterly is possible by about the second week of Feb or so and no hopecasting on the basis of looking several days out can be levelled at anyone in this respect.

In terms of other possible outcomes, these too have been much discussed in recent days. This again comes back to the jet stream energy which has see-sawed in the modelling and yesterday the models were suggesting greater emphasis on the northern branch - hence high pressure perhaps being closer to the UK as an outcome.

An easterly is quite likely imo, with the patience required to wait for several days. Assuming this is what happens - the type (ie dry frosty/ convective snow showers) is not going to be known for an even longer time until the trend is completely fleshed out.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

A better easterly on the 06z that would be potent enough to bring UK wide snow showers. Still FI though. Not going to be very sustained however if the block immediately heads east.

As others are saying however the building blocks are encouraging early on. The detail beyond that will change. Overall then, the chances of a cold snowy easterly occurring in early Feb have increased to about 20%. But it might be shortlived.

Posted

Compare;

06z Today

26th 12z

Surely the model evolution within the nearfield is a direct consequence of realtime data accuracy? Each new timestep compounds the errors but from your example - given the positioning of all the high and low centres, 850 distribution, heights etc - the limited error differences between those charts is pretty impressive.

ffO.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Yep quite agree, including the northern hemisphere charts. The high to the northeast is the dominant

force and it is this that is dictating the pattern. IE where shortwaves and lows move etc, also on the

t150 northern hemisphere charts the Siberian high is pulling much colder air into its circulation.

Mm, the charts are becoming very interesting. It does seem that the Siberian high is now so powerful, that its become in effect an easterly bull dozer, what happens upstream to the west is probably not so important now, because this high is just going to keep on pushing westward with relentless force. What happens after?, that I will leave to the imagination?

Posted

Excellent 06Z GEFS mean at +168.

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gens/run/gens-21-1-168.png?6

If we can get this at +72/96 with agreement from all models then the Siberian express is on its way. Even if the cold pool is expected to arrive a few days later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Beyond the Northerly it looks like nerve shredding times ahead next week with the bitterly cold airmass over northeast europe edging southwestwards towards the uk but will we feel the full force of it or just a glancing blow, I much preferred the GFS 00z to be honest because the 6z makes more of a meal of getting there and struggles to maintain it. Looking at all the output though, a very good chance we will tap into that very cold air building up to the east but the middle of next week looks like the crunch period for us.

Edited by Frosty039

Posted

I have rarely seen such an extensive cold pool over Central Europe as is projected in GFS 06z FI - This pool has escaped direct from the Artic - I think now that some sort of Easterly is on the cards - it's a matter of fine tuning

The Alps are really starting to see the cold air move in!

post-8881-12646764613388_thumb.jpg

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Mm, the charts are becoming very interesting. It does seem that the Siberian high is now so powerful, that its become in effect an easterly bull dozer, what happens upstream to the west is probably not so important now, because this high is just going to keep on pushing westward with relentless force. What happens after?, that I will leave to the imagination?

Morning Paul

I suspect that the extra early development of the eurasian snow cover was one of the main triggers for the eventual strength and backing westwards of the high further than usual - in tandem with the favourable NH atmospheric conditions that have allowed stable high latitude blocking such as we have seen so much this season. No surprise that there has been such a strong -AO feedback with all these factors and very extensive snow over over so many parts of the NH. This has not been seen for some time and we are being reminded quite emphatically what can happen as a result.

The Siberian/Scandi High has been allowed to play a role she hasn't been able to since the 60's,70's and 80'ssmile.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Morning Paul

I suspect that the extra early development of the eurasian snow cover was one of the main triggers for the eventual strength and backing westwards of the high further than usual - in tandem with the favourable NH atmospheric conditions that have allowed stable high latitude blocking such as we have seen so much this season. No surprise that there has been such a strong -AO feedback with all these factors and very extensive snow over over so many parts of the NH. This has not been seen for some time and we are being reminded quite emphatically what can happen as a result.

Spot on Tamara.

The lack of snow cover has been a factor in recent winters wrt to the Siberian HP.

The GEFS mean continues to be very consistent.

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gens/run/gens-21-1-216.png?6

Longer term it seems that pressure builds around Greenland and we see LP systems tracking into S Europe especially into Spain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Morning Paul

The Siberian/Scandi High has been allowed to play a role she hasn't been able to since the 60's,70's and 80'ssmile.gif

Yes T, It is good to see that these factors that we played around with in Autumn and suggested could play an important part in the winter have already done so. There were some ( and a bit of me included!) that thought that we could be talking about how the El Nino has ruined winter so far, but the opposite is true. And I have a sneaky feeling that this MMW is going to produce the goods. If you look back propagation is better in winters that have already had good blocking spells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Morning Paul

Hi Tamara,

Yes indeed, reading through some of my old books from the 60s and 70s, Gordon Manley talks extensively about the great Siberian anticyclone making at least one appearance, during most winters to our shores, usually during February.

Sadly, as we all know, that scenario died many years ago now, but this winter has been special and a throw back to those times.

In my opinion we will see the models continue to project this easterly now, the ECM I am sure will be much improved regarding the easterly tonight.

Edited by Polar Continental

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Anyone getting the idea that we are about to see model cold/blocking upgrading next few days? I don't even think Monday on is sorted yet.

BFTP

Posted

Hi Tamara,

Yes indeed, reading through some of my old books from the 60's and 70's, Gordon Manley talks extensively about the great Siberian anticyclone making at least one appearance, during most winter to our shores, usually during February.

Sadly as we all know, that scenario died many years ago now, but this winter has been special and a throw back to those times.

In my opinion we will see the models continue to project this easterly now, the ECM I am sure will be much improved regarding the easterly tonight.

Have to agree with the last bit especially. The models seem to be getting to grips with the residual troughing over

Scandinavia and I am quite sure we will start to see some really mouthwatering charts over the coming days with

cries of 87,47 the next ice cometh etc lol.

Posted

Anyone getting the idea that we are about to see model cold/blocking upgrading next few days? I don't even think Monday on is sorted yet.

BFTP

Interesting you say that Fred.

I was just thinking to myself that normally the GFS has a tendancy of underestimating blocking. Yet here we are with the GFS/GEFS being very bullish with regards to blocking.

I wiah the ECM would stop messing around though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

It seems to me once again ppl are looking for detail , the trend is a bitter easterly by next wkend and has always ben , the 06z is an upgrade if we'r looking for very col heavy air , -15uppers never far away from the east and most the country under -12/13 , which would bring heavy snow to many .

Its all to play for and this feb will be one to remember .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

00z ECM ensembles for London

http://www.meteogrou...e_forecast.html

Still look rather promising to me.

Yes as we know nothing mild in the reliable time frame or even into extended F1

I think what we are seeing is ‘cold’ its always relative into next week max 3/5c CET zone , we get a further drop in F1 Feb 5th onwards

Nothing really cold in the early /mid time frame

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

A better easterly on the 06z that would be potent enough to bring UK wide snow showers. Still FI though. Not going to be very sustained however if the block immediately heads east.

As others are saying however the building blocks are encouraging early on. The detail beyond that will change. Overall then, the chances of a cold snowy easterly occurring in early Feb have increased to about 20%. But it might be shortlived.

Your lookin at the wrong chars then , il put money on a sustained bitter easterly and a snowy feb . The signs are there .

Edited by shaun wilmer