Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Had a few very wet sleet showers today which I found very disappointing. The temp was also mild considering we are in a N/NE flow. When will the COLD arrive. The charts looked great a few days ago. Any ideas if we will get any lying snow away from higher elevations?

In Leeds at low elevation (30M) there has been lying snow two days in a row, the snow did melt in the afternoon though and was only a dusting but from light snow showers thats not bad going. I think the coast will do poor till we get -10 850's in then we can start talking snow for coast, until then a wintry mixture of rain sleet and snow.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Keep an eye out for the trough development for those close to the coast and at least within 20-25 miles from the coast. Around 12midnight-3am it won't make its way inland much, it'll get a good 25 miles inland, before fizzling out/stalling over Eastern Areas. Could be a few cm.

Lewis

Posted

Keep an eye out for the trough development for those close to the coast and at least within 20-25 miles from the coast. Around 12midnight-3am it won't make its way inland much, it'll get a good 25 miles inland, before fizzling out/stalling over Eastern Areas. Could be a few cm.

Lewis

Beat me to it, was going to post an image of it.

Anyway the green arrows are the possible track of the system post-8968-12657469402317_thumb.jpg

Posted

Beat me to it, was going to post an image of it.

Anyway the green arrows are the possible track of the system post-8968-12657469402317_thumb.jpg

In between the second and third arrow is my guess of the track, its either E Yorkshire area land fall, or just a little south, but there's gunna be precip either side anyhow.

I don't think itll get that far inland though.

Posted

In between the second and third arrow is my guess of the track, its either E Yorkshire area land fall, or just a little south, but there's gunna be precip either side anyhow.

I don't think itll get that far inland though.

The arrows aren't meant to show how far inland but I think with these kind of situations you cant be sure how far inland these troughs will make, could just effect the coast or push far inland, there are likely to be alot of showers associated with the trough as well. I think anywhere in East Yorkshire or North East Yorkshire are likely to be affected, providing the precipitation is of snow some places could do well.

Posted

The arrows aren't meant to show how far inland but I think with these kind of situations you cant be sure how far inland these troughs will make, could just effect the coast or push far inland, there are likely to be alot of showers associated with the trough as well. I think anywhere in East Yorkshire or North East Yorkshire are likely to be affected, providing the precipitation is of snow some places could do well.

Yep, i'm sure it will be snow.

I wanna see the 18z first though to double check :D

I know the -10 to -11/12 uppers hit me/east coast at 1-2am, with the trough pushing in about 3am.

Dew points will hit -3/-4

Posted

Im expecting a dusting bye the morning, as the trough pushes in over night. Id expect rain/sleet near the coasts and snow around 20 miles inland, I dont think amounts will be much though... :D

Hopefully there will still be a few snow showers in the morning when i wake up biggrin.gif......

Posted
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border

Does anyone think they will get as far inland as Sheff?

Posted

Beverley to Scun-thorpe should see something tonight ....but not much further West ( IMO )

Dont be fooled, they should push well inland as the winds become more easterly for a short time

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn121.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn124.png

Posted

Dont be fooled, they should push well inland as the winds become more easterly for a short time

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn121.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn124.png

No ones been fooled. The showers won't push that far inland.

We aint even sure if the trough will make landfall around this area, it could be much further South, you won't be bothered then will you if they push inland much further South?

The showers will fizzle out 20-25 miles inland.

Posted

Snow at last! Light shower that didn't lay because the grounds too wet! I think it could lay if we get the heavier showers overnight.

Dewpoint dropped now to +0.1C from 1.2C an hour ago.

Ground temp 3.9 so would like that to carrying dropping to make sure!

Posted

No ones been fooled. The showers won't push that far inland.

We aint even sure if the trough will make landfall around this area, it could be much further South, you won't be bothered then will you if they push inland much further South?

The showers will fizzle out 20-25 miles inland.

Well I cant see anything to stop the showers pushing right inland, the winds will be turning more easterly between now and 6am, theres no high ground in the way and we have a decaying front on its way south westwards towards south yorkshire...

Due to it decaying that will be why amounts will be small, but the showers will still push inland smile.gif

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

Just looked outside to see a dusting of snow, surprised really as all the showers keep dying out just before they reach Leeds, all we are left with are the light remains. If the trough doesn't reach here then I expect the snow flurries to continue, with the snow showers mainly for the north and east of the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The trough/surface low out in the N.Sea seems to be gaining cloud though. I wonder if we could be in for a surprise in the early hours? I've not been as keen on this cold spell producing much for us inland but you never know, the showers today were far heavier than we normally seem to get from this type of setup.

Posted

Heavy sleet showers here, wet covering on cars but nothing else at the moment. Really hope that trough people are talking about produces something for our region.

Posted

This is what I expect to happen, this is just for fun so don't take it as gospel, will be interesting to see what happens.

Forecast for tonights trough

The trough out to the north sea Is likely to hit our region at around 1AM, I expect all of Yorkshire to be affected by this trough. There will be showers and bands of precipitation associated with this trough as well so even if you aren't affected by the bulk of the precipitation you are likely to be affected by any of the showers or bands of precipitation.

The Map I have highlighted show the areas at risk, the trough is in the large red circle and the associated showers are in the blue area, the heaviest of the precipitation is likely to be in the brown area.

Be aware the the trough may miss the UK altogether and slide south/South West, this could happen and is a possibility that shouldn't be overlooked.

Highlighted areas of the UK

Green- Coastal areas, which are likely to receive a wintry mixture of sleet and snow, heavy precipitation is likely to fall as wet snow, possible temporary accumulations of 1-2cm.

Yellow- Slightly inland areas are likely to receive mostly snow and perhaps sleet in the lighter bursts, leading to 2-3cm of snow, lying snow should last throughout the morning.

Purple- Precipitation is likely to make it this far but not as heavy compared to the Green and Yellow zones, all precipitation will be of snow with possible accumulations of 1-2cm.

White Zone- pennine chain where the snow will die out.

post-8968-12657544233817_thumb.jpg

Edited by 10123

Posted

This is what I expect to happen, this is just for fun so don't take it as gospel, will be interesting to see what happens.

Forecast for tonights trough

The trough out to the north sea Is likely to hit our region at around 1AM, I expect all of Yorkshire to be affected by this trough. There will be showers and bands of precipitation associated with this trough as well so even if you aren't affected by the bulk of the precipitation you are likely to be affected by any of the showers or bands of precipitation.

The Map I have highlighted show the areas at risk, the trough is in the large red circle and the associated showers are in the blue area, the heaviest of the precipitation is likely to be in the brown area.

Be aware the the trough may miss the UK altogether and slide south/South West, this could happen and is a possibility that shouldn't be overlooked.

Highlighted areas of the UK

Green- Coastal areas, which are likely to receive a wintry mixture of sleet and snow, heavy precipitation is likely to fall as wet snow, possible temporary accumulations of 1-2cm.

Yellow- Slightly inland areas are likely to receive mostly snow and perhaps sleet in the lighter bursts, leading to 2-3cm of snow, lying snow should last throughout the morning.

Purple- Precipitation is likely to make it this far but not as heavy compared to the Green and Yellow zones, all precipitation will be of snow with possible accumulations of 1-2cm.

White Zone- pennine chain where the snow will die out.

post-8968-12657544233817_thumb.jpg

Im going for no where with a covering, dusting at best.

Higher ground to the North and South (Moors and Wolds) 5-10cm

Too wet, going for the trough to die out very quickly aswell.

Also the trough could hit anywhere between 3-6am, the later the better, any earlier way too marginal, and with very soggy ground = not good. Unless we can get temps down too 0c or below.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Im going for no where with a covering, dusting at best.

Higher ground to the North and South (Moors and Wolds) 5-10cm

Too wet, going for the trough to die out very quickly aswell.

Also the trough could hit anywhere between 3-6am, the later the better, any earlier way too marginal, and with very soggy ground = not good. Unless we can get temps down too 0c or below.

Lewis

Depends where you live for most, if the trough reaches inland areas it would be snow, so far all precipitation here has been of snow, we even have a dusting.

Edit: Also in Newcastle there are reports of snow, so if there is snow there now then I don't see why there wouldnt be snow close to the coast.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Depends where you live for most, if the trough reaches inland areas it would be snow, so far all precipitation here has been of snow, we even have a dusting.

Edit: Also in Newcastle there are reports of snow, so if there is snow there now then I don't see why there wouldnt be snow close to the coast.

Let's just see, a lot of factors mate.

Will it get far inland

Will it be snow/sleet/rain on the Coast *i would say snow after 2-3am*

Grounds soaked, surface temps and wet bulb rather high.

Other than a dusting, i can't see much happening mate, would love to be wrong. Higher ground will be ok for accumulations.

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

England weather crap there nothing interesting all it does changes every time one week it forecast snow then as day close by its changes further ahead England sucks I would rather have America weather or Germany