Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border

Morning all !

Woke up, feeling a tad colder than yesterday, temp gauge stated around 0.2 C,some ice on the car from some overnight sleet, drove to work as I got up to around 150 Mtrs a slight dusting was in evidence.

Is it me or does it feel colder today , it maybe the NE breeze picking up slightly.

Present temp +4.7 C nr to Sheffield city centre @ 12:03 PM, Present wind direction is a pure Northerly.

Dew point is dropping away as well @ -6.2C

Humidty is @ 45%

Edited by yorkieblade

Posted

Morning all !

Woke up, feeling a tad colder than yesterday, temp gauge stated around 0.2 C,some ice on the car from some overnight sleet, drove to work as I got up to around 150 Mtrs a slight dusting was in evidence.

Is it me or does it feel colder today , it maybe the NE breeze picking up slightly.

Present temp +4.7 C nr to Sheffield city centre @ 12:03 PM, Present wind direction is a pure Northerly.

Dew point is dropping away as well @ -6.2C

Humidty is @ 45%

very weird mate as the dew here is 2.1c!!

Posted

Yep and i jut hit 5.2c!

Must admit though, just went for a walk to shop and its so pleasent in the sunshine, infact 5.2c is my warmest temp for some 2-3 weeks!

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

My Mistake , don't know why I typed that!!!! sorry cc_confused.gifwacko.gif my dew point reader has gonedrunk.gif up!!!!

our weather out station at Moscar (A57) is currently showing - 0.8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Decided to take a breathier from reading the forums everyday, first time I've been on since Friday and I see everything has gone totally pear shape. Where has all the snow gone in the forecast? It was looking very very good at the last chart I saw and all were in the 'reliable' timeframe, all the models were forecasting snow on and off all this week across eastern areas and I have yet to see a flake! And the charts look positively dire. :)

The high seems to dive south and meet an early death and there are pockets of milder area throughout this week.. far cry from the weekend's charts from the respected models. I've lost confidence in all of them how can they all be so god damn far off the mark?

:) :) :)

Edited by rikki

Posted

Its a pretty poor show to be honest. Maximum temperature here today is 5.6C and minimum last night 1.3C. A cool day if anything.

Tomorrow should be a lot colder with showers being more of snow than the wintry mix we're getting today. Looking at the dewpoints are pretty pointless at determining whether rain, sleet or snow will fall at the moment as its only the bottom layer of the atmosphere that is warmed by the combination of moderation from the sea and solar input. It matters more in frontal precipitation where the atmosphere is more stable. As John Holmes often points out, the atmosphere is three-dimensional and flat charts dont always show the true picture.

Posted

Intresting feature coming off Souther Norway, not too evident on the IR Satellite, but the MetO Vis Loop picks the "Eddy" up quite nicely since 1300, beginning to become convectionally active as it makes its way with the Easterly Pool. Now just coming into the N.Sea so if SSTs can hold, it may prove substantial for further snowfall by the morning in Eastern parts.

Posted

Intresting feature coming off Souther Norway, not too evident on the IR Satellite, but the MetO Vis Loop picks the "Eddy" up quite nicely since 1300, beginning to become convectionally active as it makes its way with the Easterly Pool. Now just coming into the N.Sea so if SSTs can hold, it may prove substantial for further snowfall by the morning in Eastern parts.

Is it the same feature/trough i was talking about earlier? The one to hit E yorkshire/Lincs coast line and push inland.

lewis

Temp dropping lovely set of double towers coming my way. White tops, lovely orange glow. Snow clouds

Temp has dropped from 4.4c too 3.6c in 10 mins, dew now 0.7c and dropping.

Please please please snow :)

Catwick (Near leven) East Yorkshire.

Snow/Hail

This is it approaching;

(lovely cloud formations about) Winds was wild, convection is mega.

post-2644-12657340221917_thumb.gifpost-2644-12657340357117_thumb.gif

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

The trough looks to be a different feature on the GFS, though this Eddy isn't really wanting to do much at the minute anyway. Give it 3 or 4 hours once its out into open water and i'll make a judgement, but even the Models don't give it much hope, although the potential is there. Considering to its Eastern flank there's substantial convection.

Posted

Is it the same feature/trough i was talking about earlier? The one to hit E yorkshire/Lincs coast line and push inland.

lewis

Temp dropping lovely set of double towers coming my way. White tops, lovely orange glow. Snow clouds

Temp has dropped from 4.4c too 3.6c in 10 mins, dew now 0.7c and dropping.

Please please please snow :p

Catwick (Near leven) East Yorkshire.

Snow/Hail

This is it approaching;

(lovely cloud formations about) Winds was wild, convection is mega.

post-2644-12657340221917_thumb.gifpost-2644-12657340357117_thumb.gif

that is sick mate, deffo a good sign! temp is dropping now! 3.4c!

Posted

Woke up to a dusting on all surfaces (including roads) this morning, temps dropped to -0.1c. Had a couple of moderate snow showers late morning, these soon cleared and was a mostly sunny day, temperatures peaked at a rather mild 4.c. There is quite a keen East/North East winds which is making it feel bitter outside and with temps quite abit warmer we had two showers of rain/hail in the afternoon which was a disappointment. Current temp 2.4c DP 0.8c.

Posted

Pouring down with snow outside, big flakes as well drinks.gif

Edit: Stopped just as quick as it started dry.gif , at least I can be confident anything that falls from the sky will be snow.

Edited by 10123

Posted

I think as things currently stand, snowfall amounts mon-fri next week will be pretty trivial... maybe with the exception of the north york moors.

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rtavn421.png

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1261.png

These flows really are quite dry/drizzly flows and with the air being cold rather than being on the right side of very cold, I would except temporary accumulations to thaw inbetween showers. Obviously these charts arent going to be spot on at this stage, so there is a lot of potential down the line smile.gif

We need a flow where where at the focal point of the squeeze of NE/ Easterly winds, something like this: http://www.wetterzen...00120090202.gif

This would allow for showers to 1.develope in the north sea widely, 2.spread right inland 3.not being under any part of high pressure allowing full convective cababilities...

As things stand at the moment heavy snow mon-fri will be confined to Kent, il try n do a map later smile.gif

looks like even kent arent guna get much now laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Fields white over with snow again above 290m after a short but quite heavy snow shower at 1600, the last one of the day. Temp' is 0.4c but the grass temp' is -3.0c so the snow is nicely frozen.

Posted

Had a few very wet sleet showers today which I found very disappointing. The temp was also mild considering we are in a N/NE flow. When will the COLD arrive. The charts looked great a few days ago. Any ideas if we will get any lying snow away from higher elevations?

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted

No stats as I'm stuck at work, Just had a heavy shower though which was mainly of sleet and hail but snow in the heavier bursts.

Looks like the PPN turning more wintry and maybe snow tonight and theres some nice juicy showers in the N sea heading our way.

Might just have a dusting by morning. I reckon the moors should be getting some nice accumulations by now.