Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Its mainly due to the fact that the colder air only pushed so far south yesterday after the rain. The heaviest preciptation today is associated where the warm and cold front meet.

Is it necessarily a warm front though? The bits and pieces far behind the main precipitation are falling as snow here, and temps are below -1. Is it milder uppers but not affecting the surface temps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Evening all,

Wow its snowing! I didn't see my car temperature go over 3c today and AccuWeather widget said the same. Impressive, so when it gonna turn to rain? lol

EDIT Nvm just checked RainToday? near ended and its all fallen as snow! <_< <_<

Edited by rikki

Posted

Is it necessarily a warm front though? The bits and pieces far behind the main precipitation are falling as snow here, and temps are below -1. Is it milder uppers but not affecting the surface temps?

Isotherm is playing a big part.

Thing is, the colder air only digged so far south. We stuck on to the cold air (not just that colder uppers) temps all day around freezing to +1c with dew points well below freezing. 0C isotherm 50-100m's so when the precipitation hits, as the temp drops the flakes get bigger, as it's 0c right down to the surface. Further South (wash area) the 850's are already at +1c. With the isotherm at 150-300m, so it'll be sleet/rain, with the odd snow flake thrown in.

lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Started snowing at 16.14 approx

started covering at 17.08 approx

changed to drizzle at 17.00 approx

ATM as I type drizzle with medium flakes mixed in

measurement at 19.00 1cm................................

Can't believe how quick the front has come and gone.............

Edited by fazzafarrand

Posted

Nothing, Nada, Nil! Still dry and maybe even staying that way! Didn't expect that! Beats rain though!

I noticed Hudson mention 60% - 40% for very cold coming in next week. Lets hope the next run keeps it up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

This is quite exceptional, after I saw the Beeb forecast this morning I saw the usual white snow graphics changing to blue as they headed towards northern lincolnshire. Further to this the Meto website gave the whole region Orange alert whilst NE Lincolnshire was the only one on the map in yellow - I did not expect this whatsoever!

Incredible. Time to read comments on the ECM 12z run - find out whether it was good for cold. :good:

Posted

Isotherm is playing a big part.

Thing is, the colder air only digged so far south. We stuck on to the cold air (not just that colder uppers) temps all day around freezing to +1c with dew points well below freezing. 0C isotherm 50-100m's so when the precipitation hits, as the temp drops the flakes get bigger, as it's 0c right down to the surface. Further South (wash area) the 850's are already at +1c. With the isotherm at 150-300m, so it'll be sleet/rain, with the odd snow flake thrown in.

lewis

KK Thanks

Wouldn't that mean some snow for tomorrow? BBC UK forecast showed some white blobs over West Yorkshire.

Posted

snow not as heavy now but at least it still snowing after 11/2 hour good covering

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

LIght drizzle I've now cleared the snow away in case I need to get out. About 3cm of snow lying.

Nice to actually catch the main action for once so the Sheffield shield is off line.

Posted

Essentially its a cold front catching up with a warm front, which forces the mild air to move over the top. This is an occluded front and generally means it should stay pretty cold at the surface but uppers arent really too favourable after it passes over. This is why areas further south have experienced rain and sleet as the temperature has warmed up behind the front. Up here the situation is better.

Please excuse the crap diagram but it shows very well whats going on:

post-2418-12652271207888_thumb.png

Posted

LIght drizzle I've now cleared the snow away in case I need to get out. About 3cm of snow lying.

Nice to actually catch the main action for once so the Sheffield shield is off line.

i dont know how ive managed 4cm at 50m asl!

Posted

Just caught a shower following from the main band that missed us! Anyway It's given us a nice dusting so I don't feel too left out now :unknw:

Posted

just about 2cm in this part of Doncaster

just drove back in the snow! good 4cm blanket of snow here!! what a surprise!!!!!!!

I have to say C, in all honesty, that I would think 2cm is about the right depth but not 4cm looking at your photos?

Posted

just about 2cm in this part of Doncaster

I have to say C, in all honesty, that I would think 2cm is about the right depth but not 4cm looking at your photos?

yeah i didnt really measure it, thinking back it was 2-3cm around here with 4cm on grass

Posted

well thats another surprise!!!!!!! theres still alot of snow on the ground as it hasnt melted that much at all!!!! and then next week yorkshire could get a beating from the NE :whistling:

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

The snow stopped at about 2cm for us last night.

What was amazing today though was the fog, never previously had it as bad as it was today. Light source visibility in the morning was down to 25m, none light source was about 10M! Thank god it was about double that by 8:30 ish, but it didn't fully clear all day and is back again now, but only about ~50M visibility.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Off to Scarborough 13th Feb for a night or two, hopefully i'll see some snow!

What are your thoughts?

Posted

Off to Scarborough 13th Feb for a night or two, hopefully i'll see some snow!

What are your thoughts?

Theres a good chance! At the moment it looks like a NNE airflow on the 13th with temps of 1-3C which should produce snow showers. Really far away yet though it will undoubtably change!

We've done well so far this winter on the coast.

Posted

Theres a good chance! At the moment it looks like a NNE airflow on the 13th with temps of 1-3C which should produce snow showers. Really far away yet though it will undoubtably change!

We've done well so far this winter on the coast.

if the winds are strong again then im sure there will be drifting across yorkshire!

Posted

Has anyone actually recorded a double figure since the second half of December, i havent. That's remarkable in its self! Turning colder next week, certainly going to be snow in our region. How much is yet to be decided. The GFS looks very good :rofl:

Posted

Has anyone actually recorded a double figure since the second half of December, i havent. That's remarkable in its self! Turning colder next week, certainly going to be snow in our region. How much is yet to be decided. The GFS looks very good :rofl:

looks very good indeed! could end up with more snow showers than expected with the current trends! looking like were all going to be back on here again :rofl:

Posted

Has anyone actually recorded a double figure since the second half of December, i havent. That's remarkable in its self! Turning colder next week, certainly going to be snow in our region. How much is yet to be decided. The GFS looks very good smile.gif

nope

last 10C here was 9 December