Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 21:

Methuselah

Posted

Short snow shower here - what there was of it settled easily. DP -1 and not changed since last night I think. According to the meto we had some rain last night but I was asleep. Snow cover has certainly reduced however.

I am pretty impressed with the change in weather this morning:

My closest weather station Bishopton was at 4.3C at 7am and then 0.6C at 8am.

Glasgow Airport went from reporting 4C/3C and rain at 6.50am to 1C/0C and sleet at 7.50am.

Not often that you see that happening, it's usually the other way round :drinks:

We now have a thick dusting/light covering of snow, the whole place is completely and utterly white and it is still snowing lightly.

What a pleasant surprise :D:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Amazing snowy scenes here.I would say from my early walk about 2" of snow and has been snowing since 7ish and still snowing now!

Big surprise i was expecting rain! lol!

Can't wait for wed now! looks like the lovely cold air is digging in quicker than thought.

I'm off to peruse the model thread, wish me luck.

Amazing snowy scenes here.I would say from my early walk about 2" of snow and has been snowing since 7ish and still snowing now!

Big surprise i was expecting rain! lol!

Can't wait for wed now! looks like the lovely cold air is digging in quicker than thought.

I'm off to peruse the model thread, wish me luck.

Good luck to you snowy!!

Can you find out if this snow today is basically tomorrow's snow heading south before it then stops and heads back north? Although as far as I can tell from the FAX charts this is a cold front passing over us now and when all is said and done by 36 hours hence it is an occluded front which comes back over us. By the looks of the FAX charts there are two or three fronts in the mix, will that help more snow to fall? Now I'm getting greedy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Quite unexpected bonus snow covering in Embra this morning, alternating between light to moderate. Hard ground frosts over the preceeding nights and its pretty much sticking where it falls - cars, grass roofs etc although its definitely of the wet-snow event variety.

Classic drawn-out cold undercut, first snow event that we've had like that here this winter. And maybe getting the flip-side tomorrow, frontal leading-edge snow. Have that subjective feeling that theres plenty of cold air about and almost a propensity to snow given the chance !

Edited by by-tor

Quite unexpected bonus snow covering in Embra this morning, alternating between light to moderate. Hard ground frosts over the preceeding nights and its pretty much sticking where it falls - cars, grass roofs etc although its definitely of the wet-snow event variety.

Classic drawn-out cold undercut, first snow event that we've had like that here this winter. And maybe getting the flip-side tomorrow, frontal leading-edge snow. Have that subjective feeling that theres plenty of cold air about and almost a propensity to snow given the chance !

The snow here has started getting heavier, a sure sign it is going to stop soon.

As for the snow chances tomorrow. I will jinx it by saying this, but this has potential to give a good wee fall over much of Scotland, I will try not to ramp too much, I promise :drinks:

Posted

Morning All, crisply cold & Sunny here, very very slight dusting after the rain last night so while some of the depth of the last fews days has gone there's an icing sugar coating once again. (phew my forecasting to friends status is intact!)

Nice the see it's getting further south, and leaving snow, this morning . Seems like that's just might be a taster before more tomorrow for you:yahoo: - coming from the front out west meeting the cold air that this one (and previous N->S incursions have) brought?

We, up here, don't usually get very much from tomorrows kind of set up (W->E), it gets stuck on the hills, but as you say by-tor, given half a chance this winter, and who knows, and there's still a couple interesting formations up north which might still skiff the Moray/NE coast? - Looking good for Glasgow, Edin, Fife (bout time LS got some, he deserves it!!)

well what can I say about this morning's "atmosphere" in the MO thread - nothing much - except to post the ensembles perhaps, these same ensembles despite the flip flops have shown at least moderate agreement up until about 7/8th.. until today!

t850Aberdeenshire.png

now out of sync from as early as Thursday :drinks: - the ECM ones are apparently even more at odds?.. So who knows - its certainly a struggle for them!

off to work, you see this working at home, there's way too many distractions at times :D

Posted

Very icy this morning after the sleet last night although a fair bit of the last few days snowfall still lying here as temperature only got up to about 2c briefly.Currently -1c with some snow showers to the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Time to go and do some work too!

Anyway quick glance through start of model output and still looking likely that the atlantic may well win through? - i'm still unsure of the disagreements in the models and the continuance of this uncertainty is not a good sign IMO. :cc_confused:

Anyhow in the short term, had some lovely snow, (just stopped now) this morning. Definitely potential from the front heading north for quite a bit of snow tomorrow afternoon/evening onwards.

Thereafter looks like rain into end of week. awww!

see ya later.

Posted

Aye, was a genuine surpise to get up to heavy snow and a winter wonderland this morning. Nice :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

actually, some of the frames within the GFS 06z are quite good for Scotland as we are in an easterly flow under -5 air;post-1989-12651096682488_thumb.png which we remain under until T120 with a chance of snow;post-1989-12651097678088_thumb.png Going by this run it doesn't look very mild to me over the weekend. We no longer have the SW flow and let's face it anything can happen come Monday as T120 is far enough ahead anyway with the models at the moment. :) It's easy to see why people further south are none too pleased though.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

well the snow Have stop here but more on the way for wed and the met office got a Advisory out for snow

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting the north Midlands, northern England and southern and central Scotland on Wednesday.

Snow spreading from the southwest during the afternoon and evening may give accumulations of 5-12 cm over hills and up to 5 cm at lower levels.

Issued at: 0315 Tue 2 Feb

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/dg/dg_forecast_warnings.html

Posted

Yes Stuart - was just looking there at the NMM and with temps of -1/-3ºC progged for after dark tomorrow across central Scotland and precipitation heading in from the south and west, it could be an interesting evening.

Will post up some of the 12Z NMM charts this evening.

Yes Stuart - was just looking there at the NMM and with temps of -1/-3ºC progged for after dark tomorrow across central Scotland and precipitation heading in from the south and west, it could be an interesting evening.

Will post up some of the 12Z NMM charts this evening.

Glad you got the surprise snowfall too this morning Shuggs; I thought I was seeing things while making the wee man's packed lunch.

It will be interesting to see what the 12Z NMM shows as this morning's 06Z NMM only runs out to Weds 18Z; just as the rain/snow really starts to move over Scotland. It is looking at the moment as if much of southern Scotland will see snow, with potential for reasonable accumulations to all levels for a time (I hate that terminology, but there you go). Not sure how long the snow will last before turning back to rain though.

Edit: just to echo what Blitzen said earlier, there is a lot of cold air close by at the moment so do no be surprised by the odd spot of snow here there and anywhere over the next wee while. The light snow this morning just goes to show that widespread snow will occur at the drop of a hat.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

been a lovely morning sunny here ,some of the snow has melted

however we've just got really dark and are having another snow shower

Posted

Nice to wake up to a covering of snow and more falling this morning in Edinburgh. Much of it is gone now, but am looking forward to tomorrow evening - haven't seen this kind of frontal snow setup for a few years, and it should be good for at least a couple of inches before thaw-time. Now, on the sat24 is that a polar low swishing down the coast of Norway :cc_confused: (runs away to hide...)

Not that it'll make it to us though!

sss

Edit: very pretty view of the snow in Scotland, the "polar low", and the showers in the NE here:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/single.php?2010033/crefl2_143.A2010033124000-2010033124500.1km.jpg

Clicking on links provides higher and lower resolution images.

Edited by sunny starry skies

Nice to wake up to a covering of snow and more falling this morning in Edinburgh. Much of it is gone now, but am looking forward to tomorrow evening - haven't seen this kind of frontal snow setup for a few years, and it should be good for at least a couple of inches before thaw-time. Now, on the sat24 is that a polar low swishing down the coast of Norway :cc_confused: (runs away to hide...)

Not that it'll make it to us though!

sss

Edit: very pretty view of the snow in Scotland, the "polar low", and the showers in the NE here:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/single.php?2010033/crefl2_143.A2010033124000-2010033124500.1km.jpg

Clicking on links provides higher and lower resolution images.

Don't run and hide! Satrep think it is a POLAR LOW!! :whistling:

post-2844-12651214970388_thumb.png

http://www.knmi.nl/satrep/latest.htm

Upper air temps are around -40C....

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I mentioned that last night... along with some other pretty swirls, but I think everyone was asleep!

do you think that could hit lady P?

It might just scrape the far North East of the country, although I would say this is unlikely. I would also add: what would I know anyway??!! :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Great to wake up to some unexpected snowfall this morning. Nothing more than a bare covering here on the south side, but welcome nonetheless.

It has since turned into a wonderfully clear, crisp and bright afternoon. Should be on for a grand sunset this arvo.

And then tomorrow looks interesting (with added McElwee inflexion and a knowing look).

Posted

I misread that at first and was wondering what I'd sone to upset you! Just as well I reread it and realised you said 'THAT could hit'instead of 'I... ' :mellow: I'm having a bad day...

I think it is going to get pushed off down the North Sea by that horrid thing coming in from the west.

Edited by LadyPakal

I misread that at first and was wondering what I'd sone to upset you! Just as well I reread it and realised you said 'THAT could hit'instead of 'I... ' :mellow: I'm having a bad day...

I think it is going to get pushed off down the North Sea by that horrid thing coming in from the west.

Years and years of waiting for a polar low, and then it just drifts away in the wind :( :( :rofl: