Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 21:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

ECM=stunning! Lack of significant precipitation is probably more alluding to lack of easier to pick up frontal precipitation, because if the ECM verified (or something along those lines which looks plausible given the background signals etc) there would be plenty of snow - guaranteed!

Easy tiger.

Obviously we must remain sceptical and cautious in light of the last let-down

That's better.

You've been in the model thread haven't yousmile.gif

Thanks for the good input. Wednesday sounds interesting for sure. As for the following week.... could be soon time for drinks.gifyahoo.gif

Wait a minute; I'm at St Fergus wed afternoon. Could have the snow chasing me down the road home. Better pack the chains or it'll be Snooz's igloo for the night.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Just got in and there is a fair bit of ramping going on here tonight!!:)!

Lets hope something interesting comes off.........but hey what a chart for PPN on the 18Z!!:whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Rain here this evening. Actually feels odd to see rain again! lol!

Thanks again for everyones info, just catching up on whats been happening. I can't believe this turnaround - all eyes watching progress over the next couple of days.

See you all tomorrow.

Posted

4 C here now. Drizzle. Pesky warm sector.

Should be gone by morning hopefully.

I ventured to the model thread whistling.gif

Lol. Not again. I'd go and look, but I don't think I can take it this time of night.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Check out what is to the northeast: http://www.knmi.nl/data/satrep/archive/ZAMG/MANU_20100201_1200.html

Front coming through has spoiled things! See all the little swirls off Norway? http://www.knmi.nl/data/satrep/archive/ZAMG/ASIINWP/ASIINWP_20100201_2145.html

Stupid Atlantic....

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8492333.stm

A headline I seriously doubted I would ever see in my lifetime.

Even if we get no further cold in February (and I think that is highly unlikely), it has been an absolutely superb winter for us McColdies. :crazy:

All the better for having our own Nw Scotland place to hang out and chat. Much kudos to all the great contributors who have made this such a grand place to drop by over the past couple of months. :)

Now, the question is: do last winter and this winter represent a blip or the beginning of a trend?

I know what my money's on :) - but, as ever, time will tell! :)

I ventured to the model thread :nonono:

pram.jpg

:D

Love it Monds.

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted

Lots of thoughts of what February might bring but if this winter continues to follow the pattern of some of the colder winters in the sixties then this is the time of year for severe night frosts and calm sunny days with occasional slow moving snow showers from the east. As for predicting future winters I have said before that I have noticed an all year round cooling in the last 3 years as born out by crop growth and stock feeding patterns on the farm.This may or may not continue but I think some powerful forces have changed our weather patterns for sure back to where they were about 4 decades ago. We now have small areas on the farm where snow has been continuously on the ground into a 3rd month and as I have said before will probably make it into a 4th one (March)

Posted

Lots of thoughts of what February might bring but if this winter continues to follow the pattern of some of the colder winters in the sixties then this is the time of year for severe night frosts and calm sunny days with occasional slow moving snow showers from the east. As for predicting future winters I have said before that I have noticed an all year round cooling in the last 3 years as born out by crop growth and stock feeding patterns on the farm.This may or may not continue but I think some powerful forces have changed our weather patterns for sure back to where they were about 4 decades ago. We now have small areas on the farm where snow has been continuously on the ground into a 3rd month and as I have said before will probably make it into a 4th one (March)

good.gif probably more accurate than any model.

It's cold up north.

Enjoy folks

post-9421-12650702640488_thumb.jpg

Posted

Wow - Just checked the beeb online weather and it has heavy snow for Stirling, backed up by a meto warning for Heavy snow tomorrow night..

:wallbash:

Off to peruse latest models....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

drinks.gif

Unexpected snowfall overnight!

Got about a cm, which is impressive given the dewpoint is above freezing and the ground is wet!

Brilliant!

Roll on Wednesday night

Off to check the models now.

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Slowly falling snow here just now with a couple of cm's cover.

Should make the M 8 a car park as usual !!

Happy Days

Posted

drinks.gif

Unexpected snowfall overnight!

Got about a cm, which is impressive given the dewpoint is above freezing and the ground is wet!

Brilliant!

Roll on Wednesday night

Off to check the models now.

LS

I hope you've hidden the kitchen knives....

:nonono:

Just rain here, however, the temp had fallen from 5C at 5.20am to 4C at 6.50am and then down to 2C at 7.20am. It is going to be a cold walk to school today. I suppose there could be some back edge snow even here then as the rain heads south :)

Glad to hear the snow reports from the east :good:

Edit: I have just seen Blizzardo's post about snow in Glasgow!! Here we go :lol:

Second edit: It is snowing here and looks like it is starting to gather :nonono: In all fairness it is rather dark out :rofl:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I hope you've hidden the kitchen knives....

nonono.gif

As I view it, the only reliable model, the UKMO, looks good http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif

My attention is still on tomorrow night - the Met Office have clearly forgotten about my area!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Saw a few flakes at about 4am...Anyhoo, judging from the GFS, cold air looks like never being too far away over the next five days or so??? Maybe, some more N-S oscillations to come? :nonono:

Posted

Damn this mild interlude. Producing snow now.

2 cm and still snowingbiggrin.gif

Where's my meto warning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Lovely surprise this morning, waking up to a moderate snowfall. I think it's the first we've seen since 7th January. Temp 1.1c dew point 0.8c with a northerly wind.

Posted

I still had a couple of 1 m2 natural patches from last time.

Does this count as lying snow since Dec 17th?