Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Quite a brisk north breeze developing now, if only there were snow showers to my north. The shwers ALWAYS seem to develop in the same spot on the north sea and drift SW when we get easterlies. I wonder why the showers dont develop all along the North Sea coast and then drift in? Why only develop at Skegness and southward from that, and then leave a ginormous gap until going as far north as Newcastle before doing the same again. It always leaves Notts/Derby dry, as the northern showers filzzle out by time they get to us and the southern showers that delvelop due east of us always go south to Leicester/Northamps. its WELL frustrating. We do better with the Cheshire Gap showers tbh. boo-hoo.. nonono.gif

Posted

post-6740-12656358793717_thumb.jpg

Would love to see some proper snow like this. There forecast anything between another 5 and 12 inches on tuesday. we will be lucky to get 5-12cms this entire cold spell thats coming up. Really we do quite poor in comparison.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

post-6740-12656358793717_thumb.jpg

Would love to see some proper snow like this. There forecast anything between another 5 and 12 inches on tuesday. we will be lucky to get 5-12cms this entire cold spell thats coming up. Really we do quite poor in comparison.

omg- I would KILL for that kinda snow. who is forcasting 5--12inch and where?? (not that Im stupid enough to think that E.Mids would have that kinda snow) but curious as to who?

Those showers from north sea are history of us now- I have a funny feeling this week is going to be a series of dissapointments for Notts/Derby with oh-so close encounters. I pray Im wrong though.

Posted

omg- I would KILL for that kinda snow. who is forcasting 5--12inch and where?? (not that Im stupid enough to think that E.Mids would have that kinda snow) but curious as to who?

Those showers from north sea are history of us now- I have a funny feeling this week is going to be a series of dissapointments for Notts/Derby with oh-so close encounters. I pray Im wrong though.

washington and surrounding areas. Marylands had 91cms between friday and sat. another 5-12" would top that up nicely. http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?showtopic=223193&st=100 check out the pics on weather forum they use.

Posted

Just arrived in Coventry, after cycling from Edgbaston to Warwick, then Stoneleigh and Walsgrave. For the first hour of the ride, there was the very occasional frozen drizzle, then the second hour saw sporadic mixed graupel and snow. In the last hour (from Warwick onwards), the joy of seeing more sustained snow was tempered by the strengthening winds blowing the odd graupels in the face. In the last half-hour, I am looking at light to moderate snow whilst enjoying a well deserved lunch. No sign of snow settling yet.

Edited by dewei

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Just arrived in Coventry, after cycling from Edgbaston to Warwick, then Stoneleigh and Walsgrave. For the first hour of the ride, there was the very occasional frozen drizzle, then the second hour saw sporadic mixed graupel and snow. In the last hour (from Warwick onwards), the joy of seeing more sustained snow was tempered by the strengthening winds blowing the odd graupels in the face. In the last half-hour, I am looking at light to moderate snow whilst enjoying a well deserved lunch. No sign of snow settling yet.

Thats one hell of a cycle ride! Which way are you going back, at least 25 miles to do still.

My parents live in Walsgrave.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Slightly dissapointed by todays charts, but things do look good or some showers pushing in at times. Got an iffy feeling about this cold spell, certainly something isnt quite set in stone yet and this feels a lot more in the balance than the last cold spell. This morning ECM suggests retrogression will be too far to the west and therefore allowing the atlantic a quick return from the SW. Plenty of time for change though.

Posted

washington and surrounding areas. Marylands had 91cms between friday and sat. another 5-12" would top that up nicely. http://www.easternus...c=223193&st=100 check out the pics on weather forum they use.

Well many of them in the Welsh thread seem convinced by Andymusic that Wales will see similar amounts this weekend- what with the '7 day rule'!:nonono:. I posted the link to Ian MacCaskill's 1991 forecast to no avail seemingly:

(Originally posted by another poster in the Cold Weather discussion a few days ago)

Posted

lol thats aload of rubbish, they obviously know nothing about weather. If the system that brought them there snow came roaring across the atlantic more likely than not it would crash into the uk and bring us mild southwesterlys with heavy rain.

Posted

lol thats aload of rubbish, they obviously know nothing about weather. If the system that brought them there snow came roaring across the atlantic more likely than not it would crash into the uk and bring us mild southwesterlys with heavy rain.

I do try to explain, so do a few others on there, but its dominated by hype and over-expectation, so I find my native Midlanders over here refreshing and down to earth!:nonono:

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Tony

Where abouts in Lampeter are you?

My sis lives in Bont

Hi

In a village 3 miles away, don't know Bont?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Thats one hell of a cycle ride! Which way are you going back, at least 25 miles to do still.

My parents live in Walsgrave.

My grandad cycled from Leicester to Leamington Spa and back when he was in his 20's lol. That was back in the 50's when bikes weighed a ton and they didn't have many gears. My grandad is still alive and he's 78 now, I think cycling has kept him alive till this ripe old age!

Posted

snowing here for about 2 and half hours now, nothing settled though. just hope its not the last of it this week. We really could do with a big load of snow to start a cold spell rather than end it as seems to be the case most of the time. Plenty of potential in the output for the next two weeks though and im certain there will be upgrades and downgrades as we go.

Posted

Pontryfendigaid = Bont

north of Tregaron, we've been to the Indian in Lampeter (with the fish pool) a few times

Oh of course, sorry! Yes thats only 20 miles away. Nice place to live, I came here to do a course at Uni in the 90's and could n't stay away!

My grandad cycled from Leicester to Leamington Spa and back when he was in his 20's lol. That was back in the 50's when bikes weighed a ton and they didn't have many gears. My grandad is still alive and he's 78 now, I think cycling has kept him alive till this ripe old age!

Nice 60 mile round trip your Grandad did!

Would n't fancy Birmingham-Warwick- Cov and back when its sleeting and 2c though!

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Nothing settling here despite snow for about 2 hours now.

On the subject of cycling, my husband cycles to weston super mare and back on occasion! (stays overnight in a b and :rolleyes:.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

snowing here for about 2 and half hours now, nothing settled though. just hope its not the last of it this week. We really could do with a big load of snow to start a cold spell rather than end it as seems to be the case most of the time. Plenty of potential in the output for the next two weeks though and im certain there will be upgrades and downgrades as we go.

Your right about it not settling but at least the temps have started to drop, I'm getting 1.2c from the sensor as apposed to 2.1c about 1/2hr ago. If only the snow and the temps can keep falling........fingers crossed here.

Posted

Been snowing here the whole day so far, this morning till about half twelve was mainly grapel, but proper flakes since then and atm it's still snowing moderately.

I hope it continues for a while, as it may start to stick soon.