Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Maximum temps are far lower than predicted as well, widely below 2c when the Met Office predicted 5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Dry here - we're just that little bit too far west, it seems. No precip at all here this afternoon, though there were some sleety tiny flakes this morning. Cold day, though - max 3.1°C and a very chilly wind.

Posted

Other than a few tiny flakes in the wind earlier its been bone dry here, not expecting anything from this cold spell.

Worst kind of weather, overcast, cold, featureless with little temperature change day and night.

Posted

Snow over in Walsgrave, Coventry.

I don't fancy cycling 27 miles in the dark to B'ham 9don't mind the cold). I'll be taking the train, that's still 7 miles for the return leg.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Snow over in Walsgrave, Coventry.

I don't fancy cycling 27 miles in the dark to B'ham 9don't mind the cold). I'll be taking the train, that's still 7 miles for the return leg.

Don't blame you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Snow has completed its mission here. I think today has turned out to be a tiny bit more snowier than what was predicted. And even though the snow was mostly on the light side, there were some lovely big snowflakes falling - typically 0.5cm to 1cm sized flakes on average.

That snow, in my opinion, could be a good sign for what the weather has in store for us for the rest of this week. smile.gif

Posted

Seen some moderate snow showers today, so all this talk about downgrades on the Model discussion forum today just makes me laugh.

It was certainly colder and snowier than forecast with temp barely above zero in the day.

I guess it is all those living north of the SE that are complaining.

Edited by xanadu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Forgive me for being down beat, but around a week ago my first incling for this cold period, was that it would predominantly dry, dull and cold at times. I feel that inclination is going to fare well. Todays GFS has almost gott'n rid of any PPN away from the far SE. The high looks like it may well "over-retrogress" to the W of the UK after the weekend and therefore allow a quick return to the atlantic from the SW during the first half of next week. I hope im very wrong, but i fear we may be heading for a dry, dull and chilly 7-10 days before a return to milder and more unsettled conditions. GFS FI did show a bit of a snowy armageddon at the beginning of next week but we all know what FI means.

*Prays the weather prooves him wrong*

Sorry to seem downbeat, but i just have a feeling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Hi,

You must live on the south eastern side of Birmingham, would I be right in saying? Had a very light snow flurry during this afternoon, but judging by the Radar was right in my prediction of the small risk of snow over the south eastern quarter of the west Midlands.

I think if you take this week as a whole, there doesn't look to be anything noteworthy concerning snowfall, on the horizon. Although it is a long way out, I think heading into next week is when substantial snowfall risk increases. Still chances for us to see snowfall towards the weekend, but nothing noteworthy in my view. I really think we're going to have to be patient for this one. smile.gif

Correct. To be a bit more exact, though, I live in the Solihull area (just a few miles South-East of Birmingham).

I hope next week can really deliver then should nothing else pop up this week. The discussion in the Model Output thread does seem to suggest it being quite dry anyway.

Posted

This is off-topic but...

Steve can you tell me how far the George Eliot hospital is from Nuneaton train station? I have got to go there in a few weeks and I have no idea how far it is, never been to Nuneaton before.

Looks like your question already got answered but I will add that the bus station is only a few mins walk from the train station, and timetables I just looked at online indicate that the first buses of the day that go to George Eliot start before 6am, even on Saturdays.

Edited by SteveElbows

Posted

Not enjoying this weather at all. Dull and gloomy. The odd flake of snow around though. The cloud looks like its trying to clear so maybe a small chance of a frosty sunrise tomorrow.

Apart from the 1st, the only day of weather i've enjoyed this month so far was last Friday when mildness came with clear skies. I much prefer that to a dry and cloudy easterly.

But mustn't grumble because this winter did produce something special in January and has potential to produce again. Always worth remembering that.

So far, looks like February 2009 was a reminder of how easterlies can work for this area and February 2010 is a reminder of how they don't!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Not enjoying this weather at all. Dull and gloomy. The odd flake of snow around though. The cloud looks like its trying to clear so maybe a small chance of a frosty sunrise tomorrow.

Apart from the 1st, the only day of weather i've enjoyed this month so far was last Friday when mildness came with clear skies. I much prefer that to a dry and cloudy easterly.

But mustn't grumble because this winter did produce something special in January and has potential to produce again. Always worth remembering that.

So far, looks like February 2009 was a reminder of how easterlies can work for this area and February 2010 is a reminder of how they don't!

not really an easterly this though, its just going around the high pressure to the NW, I also think many on here have over estimated sunshine amounts, may not even see a frost, what an amazing cold spell! I think a cloudy high with anticyclonic gloom upto sunday, then maybe something interesting next week

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted

not really an easterly this though, its just going around the high pressure to the NW, I also think many on here have over estimated sunshine amounts, may not even see a frost, what an amazing cold spell! I think a cloudy high with anticyclonic gloom upto sunday, then maybe something interesting next week

For once I actually disagree about it not being an E-ly because today it has,E/NE-ly and GFS shown upper air down to -8/-9c yesterday.

http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/bracka.gif

The rest of the week is different with a N/NE-ly

This being the most HP day with cold air going around the high,a cold week for sure :wacko:

http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/brack2.gif

Plenty of snow showers in the SE,and a feature further north coming into the HP.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Snow flurries for much of the afternoon here.

Posted

Oh god, i really feel tired of winter atm, we still haven't got any heating and i'm bloody freezing and have that sort of 'flu' like feeling about me.

That being said, i would love to see another good snowfall before the spring sets in, but this spell is looking a bit dry for us here.

I know things could change...i hope so :wacko:

Posted

Well, I was at work in Loughborough today, all we had was the odd very very very light snow shower, and drizzle. Really pants. I am getting just a little fed up now, the forecasts always seem to indicate that 'in about 10 days time we will get a reet good dumping of snow' and then in reality, when you get to 10 days time it's just cold and dry and dull :wacko: Please Please Please can we have another great snow event before the winter is out ???!!!!!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Well, I was at work in Loughborough today, all we had was the odd very very very light snow shower, and drizzle. Really pants. I am getting just a little fed up now, the forecasts always seem to indicate that 'in about 10 days time we will get a reet good dumping of snow' and then in reality, when you get to 10 days time it's just cold and dry and dull sad.gif Please Please Please can we have another great snow event before the winter is out ???!!!!!! smile.gif

Loogabarooga is enough to make anyone doubt possibilities! whistling.gif But your`e right, it`s always next week!pardon.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

18Z looking worse, not even that cold upto sunday, and after then pure FI, snow chances do seem to stay 10 days away

Posted

Like I said earlier..some sunshine would be a nice alternative...but the high is placed wrongly for that as well.

We shall see as ever.

What made me smile is hearing a weather forecast saying that a big change is on the way this week. Yes it may be colder but when you look outside...it really looks no different to last week!

Get to the end of this week and then look for a good northerly or an early spring! I'd take either!

Posted

We had a few very light snow showers here today (Monday), but the forecast for "snow in the SE, clear and frosty in the W" fills me with dread. That usually means we get all the cloud, little of the snow, and little of the frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well we woke up to a very surprising sprinkling of snow - like somebody had dusted us with icing sugar. Very pretty though!