Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Ok, for tomorrow wet with hill snow across the pennines....

LS

25 model thread pages condensed in as many lines with all toys present and correct. Cheers LSS. good.gif

That's got to impress the ladies biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Been in far nw sutherland for a few days, was nice to begin with but went dreich and pish etc yesterday so home again drying out now. Looking forward to a bit more wintry 'activity' :cold: this coming week although can't see much for low levels around here.

Hmmm... 'er indoors is away this weekend so what do I do on a solitary valentine's :air_kiss: ? You guessed, hit the bottle again. :drunk::drunk: Bah, gonna fall off this chair soon. :bad:

LSS, your chart summaries are brilliant, keep it up as long as you want. Much appreciated here :drinks::drunk:

Posted

cray.gif So sad being single, fifteen and on an empty weather forum.

But hey, that makes you a saddo toolaugh.gif

Yup - husband dumped me for my chief bridesmaid, just before my birthday. Definitely a saddo... :air_kiss:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

25 model thread pages condensed in as many lines with all toys present and correct. Cheers LSS. good.gif

That's got to impress the ladies biggrin.gif

Lol, maybe i'll send my summaries to themlaugh.gif

I've have had mixed results with the ladies in the last few days but the weather can always be relied upon for some interest - well at least this year!

As I said before all I want now is a big frontal blizzard with 8 inches and I'm done with winter till Novemberlaugh.gif

It looks fairly plausible in the next seven days so I would wait and see what comes of it, particularly you Snowstorm1,as the front might stall across you for a while, though equally it could stall across SS, across Fife or it might not stall at all, or maybe there won't even be a frontrofl.gif

Yup - husband dumped me for my chief bridesmaid, just before my birthday. Definitely a saddo... wacko.gif

Ouch, sorry to hear that. At least at my age relationships lack seriousness and meaning so rejection doesn't really bother you as much.

Anyway, the 18Z NMM coming out soon could give Catch a shower or two or SS1 (not to be confused with SS, unfortunate acronym though lol) might get some backedge snow.

Posted

Ouch, sorry to hear that. At least at my age relationships lack seriousness and meaning so rejection doesn't really bother you as much.

Don't be - I'm well shot of them both. I *really* don't need people like that in my life.

You come across so much more mature in your posts than some of the so-called adults on the model thread - I congratulate you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Don't be - I'm well shot of them both. I *really* don't need people like that in my life.

You come across so much more mature in your posts than some of the so-called adults on the model thread - I congratulate you!

Thanks, I do wonder if some of them are in fact younger than me, particularly those who have been mentioned before on this thread. The model thread was pretty much a bit of long term speculation and people trying to explain that winter could not possibly be over in early autumn! Still, it was a bit better than it has been lately, with the ratio of experienced to joke posters slightly higher even with that going on. I may be on when I can over the summer to get a bit of a flavour of the synoptic setups required for heat/thunder then, which will be useful for year round meteorology! Rather like a ski centre diversifying into a mountain bike centre and hiking base in the summer - though of course this year this transition will be later than usual, hopefully!

LS

Edited by grab my graupel
Please leave out the personal remarks

Posted

I can't believe Lomond Snowstorm is 15 shok.gif ...!

I was under the impression you were 30+ judging by the quality of your posts!!! That's a compliment btw. rofl.gif

Nice outlook for Scotland this week. I wouldn't normally expect anything in Edinburgh but dewpoints/surface temps do look like being low enough for snow, not to mention 850's and thicknesses. All we really need is the precipitation, preferably falling overnight.

We'll see.

Posted

Hey

Long Time Reader 1st time Replying.

Can someone Tell me whats the chance of snow in Central scotland Beacuse A dont Know wots the model says :(

cheers

Posted

I can't believe Lomond Snowstorm is 15 shok.gif ...!

I was under the impression you were 30+ judging by the quality of your posts!!! That's a compliment btw. rofl.gif

Nice outlook for Scotland this week. I wouldn't normally expect anything in Edinburgh but dewpoints/surface temps do look like being low enough for snow, not to mention 850's and thicknesses. All we really need is the precipitation, preferably falling overnight.

We'll see.

LS - 15 ?

Jeez, I had him pegged for way older (and that's also a compliment).

Wow.

Kudos though, some very very mature posts but moreso, some very very interesting ones !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

We are in for some fun today on the model thread due to this -

Easterly in FI

Am sure there will be plenty of carnage, Easterlies always kick things off..

Tuesday looks busy and the fax chart is loaded with effects of that low, ppn all over the place - a minefield for predicting snow. Onto the radar for tomorrow I think and nowcasting.

Upper temps (UKMO) look good - PPN charts have absolute downpours off the east coast - a little breeze and the East Coast gets a decent delivery.

Plenty of the wet stuff around but difficult to determine what it will be. Highlands getting a good renewal of the white stuff, with wintry effects elsewhere.

I expect people today at work will be noticing the cold again and moaning about ' am fed up with snow' .

They forget how cold March can be..

Posted

Happy Birthday Blitzen hi.gifgood.gifbiggrin.gif

I will try to do an update after I have taken BoyCatch to school, although if LS beats me to it......(hint, hint!!)

Remember this ? http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/archives/gfs-2009122018-2-54.png?18

The mainly dry spell which turned out to be one of the snowiest 36 hour periods seen in Scotland?

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-0-90.png?0

Precipitation is, while not scarce, not really much cop on the GFS but things change and develop quickly. First of all note this http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/15/basis00/ukuk/prty/10021618_1500.gif

Shortwave developing - will this bring more precipitation further south on its western edge?

ECM looks very snowy, particularly at this point http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/meteo/ecmwf/NSea/2010021500/NSea_2010021500_thgt850_144.png

The UKMO has the low a bit further east than the GFS http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UW120-21.GIF?15-06 so frontal snow looks likely.

post-9298-12662202229717_thumb.png

LS

Posted

Looking at the charts this morning it looks as though the snow risk for the Grampians has been downgraded.Has anyone else noticed this or am i just reading them wrong

Easterly in FI

Tuesday looks busy and the fax chart is loaded with effects of that low, ppn all over the place - a minefield for predicting snow. Onto the radar for tomorrow I think and nowcasting.

Upper temps (UKMO) look good - PPN charts have absolute downpours off the east coast - a little breeze and the East Coast gets a decent delivery.

Plenty of the wet stuff around but difficult to determine what it will be. Highlands getting a good renewal of the white stuff, with wintry effects elsewhere.

I expect people today at work will be noticing the cold again and moaning about ' am fed up with snow' .

They forget how cold March can be..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

You should email that remember this chart to the Met Office LS.whistling.gif

Yup - husband dumped me for my chief bridesmaid, just before my birthday. Definitely a saddo... :(

What?? That's a total shocker!! When did that happen?

I haven't been dumped for years. But then I've been with MrsCatch since 2002 :(

LS - 15 ?

Jeez, I had him pegged for way older (and that's also a compliment).

Wow.

Kudos though, some very very mature posts but moreso, some very very interesting ones !

I was shocked at Xmas time when he said he was going back to school!! You would never know :D:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Easterly in FI

Oh no. Better avoid there today then.

3.3 C, dull and grey here. Roll on the snaw. Off to the salt mines for me now.

Edit: Just noticed I've been upped to cumulus. Obviously spend way too much time in here - can't be due to my weather knowledge anyway.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Happy Birthday Blitzen :hi::cold::D

You think? :lol: I think most of the girls on here will agree with me that there are three stages in a woman's aging process. Breast Lift, face lift and stair lift! I, unfortunately, am now officially fast approaching the third category! :lol: Thank you Catch for your thoughts. Your turn tomorrow!

Edited by Blitzen

You think? :cold: I think most of the girls on here will agree with me that there are three stages in a woman's aging process. Breastlift, facelift and stairlift! I, unfortunately, am now officially fast approaching the third catagory! :lol: Thankyou Catch for your thoughts. Your turn tomorrow!

I love the B.F.S. three stages :lol: I'm sure you're closer to the first stages than you think :hi:

Me tomorrow, and Cheggers too!!

Posted

Happy Birthday from me too Blitzen .......... hope you have a good one!:cold:

000202B2.gif LS. Yes I was surprised to learn your age at xmas. Your forecasts are on the button.

Had a quick look at the radar and the showers feeding over from the Northwest are gradually changing from rain to sleet and now snow over the hills.:lol:

Posted

What?? That's a total shocker!! When did that happen?

I haven't been dumped for years. But then I've been with MrsCatch since 2002 :lol:

End of September. Been busy since then - found and bought a house, moved in at the end of November. Wasted no time, you'll notice! I've just about finished furnishing it now.

2002... that's the year we got married. Not to worry you or anything.... :cold:

Had some of that liquid snow on the way in to work - it's currently 5 degrees, 998mb and falling.

Finally, Happy Birthday Blitzen! :lol:

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Rain has just cleared and temperature has fallen from 4c to 2c in the last hour with a lot of showers to the north across the Firth.

Posted

Rain has just cleared and temperature has fallen from 4c to 2c in the last hour with a lot of showers to the north across the Firth.

Yes hitting us now with sleet and hail.........temps slowly dropping.

Once the cold front moves through today:

post-2844-12662281186317_thumb.png

The cold air arrives behind (as shown here on the JMA, but also shown by falling temps across the north and west and the precip type radar flagging up wet snow and proper snow behind the liquid snow):

post-2844-12662281327617_thumb.gif

It's all a bit of a mess during the week with plenty of potential for snow, there's really no point posting up charts here there and everywhere as once the front passes and the cold air arrives it's really just a case of radar watching and internet trawling!!

Looks cold overnight with a decent frost for much of Scotland. Remember the GFS almost always underestimates how low the temp falls:

post-2844-12662283446817_thumb.png

Looking further ahead the cold air hangs around to a certain extent. No re-run of earlier in winter, but a huge amount of potential for further snowfall. Following charts (in order) are ECM then GEM at +144hrs and then ECM at +168hrs:

post-2844-12662283971617_thumb.gifpost-2844-12662284094217_thumb.pngpost-2844-12662284191617_thumb.gif

I will chuck up some more charts later, hopefully after the GFS gives us the 06z.

It does seem that the next week or so of cool/cold and damp/snowy weather is nailded on, it's just a case of wait and see if F1 :) pans out well.