Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 23

Hi Catch,

Driving to work this morning I could see all the Mountain tops of to the West/North West beyond Stirling, all standing proud with their thick coating of the white stuff, like cake with icing.

Big Innes

Aye, we're off out later (hopefully) and it will be nice to see Ben Lomond and the hills further north with some snow on them. Having said that, there are still snow patches on the low hills (Renfrew Heights) I can see out my living room window :air_kiss:

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Aye, we're off out later (hopefully) and it will be nice to see Ben Lomond and the hills further north with some snow on them. Having said that, there are still snow patches on the low hills (Renfrew Heights) I can see out my living room window good.gif

Aye, the same back home mate with the Knock Hill & Saline Hill still having patches long enough for a wee sledging run of a hundered meters or sogood.gif

And to think that snow has been there since the 17th of December 2009 clap.gif

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Have just read LS's blog and he is asking what got us interested in the weather, well in my case it was the 63 winter and whisper it, I was 11 turning 12 in the FEB of that magnificent winter. Ever since then it has been something of an obsession.

My other half can't work it out, after all these years of weather watching and I still can't forecast the weather, wants to move to the sahara so I can never be wrong (dry sunny and hot) says she is a weather widow.

It is only going to get worse now we have our own thread, no slitting of wrists here, only a bit of friendly banter mixed in with some great weather discussion.

Hope the cold is still on for next week, could do with a good dumping before March.

SS2

How do tou get away with it Big Innes, are you not supposed to be working.

I want a job like yours.

SS2

Posted

Guys and gals..

I love reading the threads on this forum...Excellent info and it has got me interested in Weather Forecasting and how it all works

The banter is fantastic and the personalities are all different..Keep it up..

Took this photo a wee while ago...Hope you like it

post-9049-12659764945217_thumb.jpg

Edited by flighton

Posted

Guys and gals..

I love reading the threads on this forum...Excellent info and it has got me interested in Weather Forecasting and how it all works

The banter is fantastic and the personalities are all different..Keep it up..

Took this photo a wee while ago...Hope you like it

What an incredible view!!! Thanks Flighton

Ah, sunny Gourock!! Is that from your house?

There are some cracking views to be had down that way. I wish I had a decent camera as there is so much in this area which is worth photographing. Inverclyde is a beautiful wee place :unsure:

Posted

Its actually from my second home as my Fiancee calls it....The 7th tee @Greenock Golf Club..

Going up to take some more this afternoon...Beautiful day and all that..

Can someone advise me on Weather outlook and snow possibility in Glencoe from Sunday to tuesday night?????

What an incredible view!!! Thanks Flighton

Your very welcome!!drinks.gif

Its actually from my second home as my Fiancee calls it....The 7th tee @Greenock Golf Club..

Going up to take some more this afternoon...Beautiful day and all that..

Is Greenock Golf Club the one which backs onto the Old Largs road which goes up over the hills?? It looks like a cracking course if it is, a real hilly mossy west of Scotland course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Have just read LS's blog and he is asking what got us interested in the weather, well in my case it was the 63 winter and whisper it, I was 11 turning 12 in the FEB of that magnificent winter. Ever since then it has been something of an obsession.

My other half can't work it out, after all these years of weather watching and I still can't forecast the weather, wants to move to the sahara so I can never be wrong (dry sunny and hot) says she is a weather widow.

It is only going to get worse now we have our own thread, no slitting of wrists here, only a bit of friendly banter mixed in with some great weather discussion.

Hope the cold is still on for next week, could do with a good dumping before March.

SS2

How do tou get away with it Big Innes, are you not supposed to be working.

I want a job like yours.

SS2

Hi SS2,

Shhh!

A wee quiet spell at the mo, dinnae tell the boss though eh good.gif

Lunch time now though drinks.gif

Ps.

Cold, Hard Frosts and Big Snow Falls in the Winter.

Long Hot, Sunny days in the Summer.

Rain and Wind ye can keep fur me, as I have seen enough of that type of weather here in this part of Scotland tae last two lifetimes cray.gif

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

Is Greenock Golf Club the one which backs onto the Old Largs road which goes up over the hills?? It looks like a cracking course if it is, a real hilly mossy west of Scotland course.

No ..thats the Whinhill council course...That was my first course when i started but joined Greenock Golf Club as it has a nice clubhouse open all year round and its a little bit more "sniff" private cool.gif

Not a snob just like my comforts!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Just back in and it has really been springlike today, hoping we get a good blast of cold next week.

I think we all should have a model output party tonight, I'll bring the razors and someone else can bring the toys for throwing out the pram, entry is by petted lip only, and only scowling will be tolerated along with a lot of oneupmanship.

SS2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

What a dreadfully disappointing week. After all the promise of the Models with Easterlies then Northerlies witn -10C 850hPa air - diddley squat.

Learning point there anyone.:cc_confused:

Posted

What a dreadfully disappointing week. After all the promise of the Models with Easterlies then Northerlies witn -10C 850hPa air - diddley squat.

Learning point there anyone.:)

I think most of us realised that weather forecasting more than 48 hours out can and frequently does leave egg on faces. Not an easy task predicting the elements!!!

Models further out are liable to change and do.

Nothing is 'nailed or nailded' in weather. This has been one of the most consistantly cold winters, albeit without proper snowful during February so far.(We have had showers which haven't amounted to much and disappeared fairly quickly)

I am neither disappointed nor surprised.......just happy we had a good snowy spell which gave us over four weeks of snow cover. There is nothing to say that we still wont get a further snowy period. I'm ever optimistic :)

Edited by Gilly

Posted

Based on upper air temps quite marginal for snowfall in my area next week. In fact, the mean on tonights GFS appears to be stuck at -5c although I remain quite optimistic about snow chances next week despite a few poor recent runs. Scotland is definately best placed.

t850East~Dunbartonshire.png

Edited by Blizzardo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

I think most of us realised that weather forecasting more than 48 hours out can and frequently does leave egg on faces. Not an easy task predicting the elements!!!

Models further out are liable to change and do.

Nothing is 'nailed or nailded' in weather. This has been one of the most consistantly cold winters, albeit without proper snowful during February so far.(We have had showers which haven't amounted to much and disappeared fairly quickly)

I am neither disappointed nor surprised.......just happy we had a good snowy spell which gave us over four weeks of snow cover. There is nothing to say that we still wont get a further snowy period. I'm ever optimistic :drinks:

We have to be optimistic in these Islands Gilly!

Just sorry that most of the snow fell at night when I couldn't watch it - watching snow fall is one of life's most beautiful pleasures.:)

Beautiful sunshine and 8.1C today so at least I was able to observe the current Sunspot swarm.

Edited by Highland Snow

Posted

Lovely day here clear sky and sun felt warm behind the glass of the tractor cab this afternoon but a different story to night as it is now -2c and ground freezing up qickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Evening all.

Its the weekend.yahoo.gifdrinks.gif

Liquid snow here and 3 C. Prospects for Tues look good. Hope something falls as I'm going to look like an ass at work if nothing arrives.

Evening all.

Its the weekend.yahoo.gifdrinks.gif

Liquid snow here and 3 C. Prospects for Tues look good. Hope something falls as I'm going to look like an ass at work if nothing arrives.

The weather owes me and Cheggers a good birthday present (and Blitzen a belated present) so let's hope for lots of snow on Tuesday :whistling::yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Am assuming it's quiet because the straw clutching and models didn't marry?

Anyway, saw this today:

Was thinking about posting the tumbleweed emoticon myself...

That's next to Lake Geneva a few years back. Imagine that lot would take a while to clear with the ice scraper.

edit: model thread seems quite positive tonight. Low sinks and cold follows behind on an ENE with increasing showers? Altantic looking quite dead. I'd take that.

tumbleweed.gif

biggrin.gif

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

I think that with so many false starts in FI for another cold shock the mood is turning mild in model thread world. Plenty of hints here and there.

I guess it's a different set up a few hundred miles south, I am sure I saw snow and hail in May / June in Aberdeen once..

Interesting teleconnections just now- a lot to be resolved there before a clinical forecast can be made on the next fortnight.

NAO well negative, AAM at a monster high near off the scale, also SSW occurring and playing havoc with the Polar Vortex.

I think just now too much for the charts to resolve.

Jetstream positions are interesting just now though as per JH - Will it snow next week at lower level post.

I guess higher latitude blocking, Siberian blocking by mid week and I simply have no idea what that low is going to do yet?!

Here's hoping the Returning polar maritime air slams it East and then North.

Edit - Beer Typos./.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ENSHGTAVGNH_18z/ensloopmref.html#picture

Edited by lorenzo

Was thinking about posting the tumbleweed emoticon myself...

That's next to Lake Geneva a few years back. Imagine that lot would take a while to clear with the ice scraper.

edit: model thread seems quite positive tonight. Low sinks and cold follows behind on an ENE with increasing showers? Altantic looking quite dead. I'd take that.

tumbleweed.gif

biggrin.gif

I will try to spam the thread a bit more today, but I have bronchitis so I'm not sure how long I'll last :)

It's all as clear as mud again with respect to the snow/wet snow/liquid snow event next week. Hills look good as usual though :)