Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 23

I guarantee that this Monday/Tuesday will be a total non-event for everyone apart from the hills. Way to marginal and in my experience this usually means it will be a damp squid. Met Office are not making anything of it, and i am with them. I don't believe anything on charts 5 days out or more.

This winter is over.

Posted

Woah, thought I was in the model thread for a moment...

March has always, since I moved here, brought the most snow.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

I guarantee that this Monday/Tuesday will be a total non-event for everyone apart from the hills. Way to marginal and in my experience this usually means it will be a damp squid. Met Office are not making anything of it, and i am with them. I don't believe anything on charts 5 days out or more.

This winter is over.

It could be quite marginal at times especially Monday and the hills, as always, will be best for snow but I think the Met Office will be keeping a close eye on this situation as per their latest update and wouldnt think that winter is over yet.

UK Outlook for Tuesday 16 Feb 2010 to Thursday 25 Feb 2010:

Cloud and outbreaks of rain, sleet and hill snow in the north look likely to spread southeastwards, reaching all but the far southeast by the end Tuesday. Thereafter it looks likely that conditions across the United Kingdom will be cold, with overnight frost and ice, and unsettled with further outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow, some of which are likely to be heavy. As usual the hillier areas are most likely to experience the largest amounts of snow, although there is also a fair chance that many lower lying areas will have some fresh accumulations at times. Later in the period there is a chance that the main snow risk area may move towards the northern parts of the country. It will be windy at times in exposed places.

Updated: 1150 on Thu 11 Feb 2010

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Well winter is definitely not over in Greenlaw!!

We just had really large snowflakes falling out of the sky - I mean HUGE flakes!

I was quite surprised me as the radar shows rain near me, but not over me.

Anyways I got really excited and was about to submit a #uksnow report to twitter when they stopped.

So in summary we had REALLY BIG snow flakes falling for 45 seconds...... :D

Winter is not over! :cold: You heard it here folks :D

Oh and PS:

Temp is 1.9'C, Hum is 72% and dp is -2.6'C

Edited by Andrew Simon Jones

Posted

This winter is over.

An Englerlundshire inflitrator.

:cold:

Winter's not over in my book until I can go a full week of not having to scrape my car....

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

This from Frosty on the Model Thread this morning! dry.gif

Frosty039

The GFS 6z is even better with less marginal situations for southern britain, once again the north and especially scotland is in a win/win position whether the 6z or 00z verifies because the cold air holds up there for the entire run. There could be the biggest snowfalls of the winter so far during next week with a potent mix of cold air and low pressure.

Karl, Not part of the net-weather team

Member of Net-Weather Extra

Here's tae Frosty's opinion then folks drinks.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gif

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

For me, winter is not over until I can sit out in the garden, without having to wrap up in several layers of warm clothing!

Sit?? Outside??

I don't fancy that! :drinks:

I take it Winter won't be over until June then??

Posted

For me, winter is not over until I can sit out in the garden, without having to wrap up in several layers of warm clothing!

Ah yes Lady P! That one day a year when ye can take yer simmit aff yahoo.gif

Noo that's what I'm talking about biggrin.gif

Big Innes.

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

Sit?? Outside??

I don't fancy that! :drinks:

I take it Winter won't be over until June then??

Naw, April - usually a warm spell then where I can make a start on catching a few rays. Mind, I've been clearing the snow in naut but a t-shirt & trews this winter. My neighbour thinks I'm a bit daft...

Ah yes Lady P! That one day a year when ye can take yer simmit aff yahoo.gif

Noo that's what I'm talking about biggrin.gif

Big Innes.

Don't get too excited, it's no a pretty sight!

Posted

Naw, April - usually a warm spell then where I can make a start on catching a few rays. Mind, I've been clearing the snow in naut but a t-shirt & trews this winter. My neighbour thinks I'm a bit daft...

Don't get too excited, it's no a pretty sight!

Bbbut Lady P!

Ye've no seen me wi ma simmit aff rofl.gif

Big Innes

This winter is over.

A "damp squid". As opposed to what? A dry squid?

I'm sorry to say this GBM but posts like this are just ridiculous and anyway, Monday is 4 days away :drinks:

Posted

Bbbut Lady P!

Ye've no seen me wi ma simmit aff rofl.gif

Big Innes

Ye're incorrigible... Wis talkin' abut me.

A "damp squid". As opposed to what? A dry squid?

I'm sorry to say this GBM but posts like this are just ridiculous and anyway, Monday is 4 days away :drinks:

I like squid - cooked, obviously. So 'hot squid' I suppose...

The 'winters over' thing was what made me think I was in the model thread - you only ever see it in there amongst the 'Fluffybottom on Thames' lot.

Edited by LadyPakal

I like squid - cooked, obviously. So 'hot squid' I suppose...

The 'winters over' thing was what made me think I was in the model thread - you only ever see it in there amongst the 'Fluffybottom on Thames' lot.

:(

I always thought winter was over either on the last day of February (if you follow weather seasons) or at the spring equinox on the 20th March (if you follow the astronomical seasons).

Both of these have faults as we (in this country) can have winter weather outside the actual winter season. Looking back to 2006 would show that winter could easily have a month or more to go.

So there could be three reasons why posting "This winter is over" is just plain silly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I was tempted this morning to comment as well " A damp squid?" ie: is there any other kind? but then I thought what is the point. I actually had to take a break from model thread reading yesterday as some of the spelling, grammar and comments on there made for quite uncomfortable reading! There is a particular 'Misbehaving Youngster' whose posts quite frankly do my head in. Yesterday morning he contributed frequently, every 2nd post (most of which have been deleted now I see) and I thought, give him a break he is only young. I then peeped at his profile and discovered he is 34!! :( Anyway, enough of my mutterings! I hope the models aren't 'off on one' as the possible snowy prospects for next week are quite exciting! Our lowest overnight was -2.7c and we are now sitting at 5.0c with a dew point of 1.1c. :)

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

I use the ignore feature quite extensively as it does make the model thread a little less painful - I can't recommend it enough for those, like yourself, who are pained by some of the things you see in there!

Currently 6 here, DP 4! Fat chance of any snow here today.

Edited by LadyPakal

laugh.gif

I always thought winter was over either on the last day of February (if you follow weather seasons) or at the spring equinox on the 20th March (if you follow the astronomical seasons).

Both of these have faults as we (in this country) can have winter weather outside the actual winter season. Looking back to 2006 would show that winter could easily have a month or more to go.

So there could be three reasons why posting "This winter is over" is just plain silly.

Okay okay... replace the 'd' with a 'b'. A common misconception.

Anyway, i was merely saying that i don't think all the excitement for next week willl come to fruition. Here i was thinking the Scottish thread was a friendly place. That was quite a sustained attack. Anyway i hope as much as anyone that i am wrong. We will see.

Posted

It is friendly - just leave the OTT stuff at the door. If you'd come in and said what you just said that would have passed without comment but the 'winters over' comment was making this place sound far too much like the model thread - let's face it, we do come here to escape all that hysterical nonsense.

It is friendly - just leave the OTT stuff at the door. If you'd come in and said what you just said that would have passed without comment but the 'winters over' comment was making this place sound far too much like the model thread - let's face it, we do come here to escape all that hysterical nonsense.

are you a moderator?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

are you a moderator?

No she isn't, just a voice of reason. Pete and Ross are our moderachean albanaich :blink:

Okay okay... replace the 'd' with a 'b'. A common misconception.

Anyway, i was merely saying that i don't think all the excitement for next week willl come to fruition. Here i was thinking the Scottish thread was a friendly place. That was quite a sustained attack. Anyway i hope as much as anyone that i am wrong. We will see.

This is a friendly thread but when you post nonsense like "winter is over" then you can expect some shrift of the short variety. It could have been a lot less friendly!! :blink:

Perhaps if you had posted "I don't think much will happen next week" instead of "winter is over" then there would have been no reaction, just a wee discussion around the chances. Posting "winter is over" on the 11th February is only ever either wrong or meant so as to provoke an argument.

Posted

are you a moderator?

Nope, as you are well aware.

We, who post here on a regular basis, have already had the discussion on why we come here and what we are avoiding. I was passing that knowledge along in case you missed it.

Posted

Nope, as you are well aware.

We, who post here on a regular basis, have already had the discussion on why we come here and what we are avoiding. I was passing that knowledge along in case you missed it.

Folks,

Shhh, It might a foriegn fisherman casting his line here in our Scottish waters tae see if he gets a few nibbles, or can hook a big one whistling.gif

What he disnae realise is cc_confused.gif

Thur nae gaid if thur nae trawled rofl.gif

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

just had a look at the GFS charts and it certainly looks 'fresh' next week as my old dad used to say I hope we get a pasting next week.

SS2