Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 9

Posted

Thinking the same thing myself Jenny, can't believe how mild it is tonight. At least I can have the windows open to listen to the rain.

Amazing how the temp has differed across our region. Here it hasn't risen above 0C all day although I feel the freezing fog this morning has actually helped us with this event.

Sadly for you guys south of say Peterbrough may have to wait till close to Midnight to get the snow coming back, your going to need the wrap around comes back in and that may not be all that potent by then sadly.

Yes at the moment the precip that will return looks relatively weak i.e blues on Met O radar. However if this does intensify then some places could see large snowfalls due to length of time it takes the LP to clear to the NE.

Snow becoming light now although I feel my lying snow should be okay due to air temps remaining close to freezing.

Posted

Lol,Thats what i did about 16 years ago Blizzard!!We haven't done too bad up here this winter but seem to have missed the really big snowfalls,too close to the sea i think!

What Sea your not a Sandancer your an adopted Viking, lol

Posted

Thinking the same thing myself Jenny, can't believe how mild it is tonight. At least I can have the windows open to listen to the rain.

Yep its quite interesting really to be honest, you can see the milder air thats quite close to the backend of the front, so whilst those that are under the front have had snow and temps close to 0C all day, those further south who have cleared the southerly portion of the front are in the air thats rather too mild for any falling snow, the thermal gradient certainly is there for all to see!

The good news for those that have had rain recently is the eastern part of the front has strengthened somewhat in the last hour, so keep an eye on this, hopefully this trend continues which gives some people who have had a letdown.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!

What Sea your not a Sandancer your an adopted Viking, lol

You're right Blizzard but we are only 4 miles from the North Sea.The high ground 20 miles to our west still have snow lying from January!

How have you done for snow this winter?

Posted

Yep its quite interesting really to be honest, you can see the milder air thats quite close to the backend of the front, so whilst those that are under the front have had snow and temps close to 0C all day, those further south who have cleared the southerly portion of the front are in the air thats rather too mild for any falling snow, the thermal gradient certainly is there for all to see!

The good news for those that have had rain recently is the eastern part of the front has strengthened somewhat in the last hour, so keep an eye on this, hopefully this trend continues which gives some people who have had a letdown.

You can't get any further east in the UK than me and incredibly the temperature is still rising it's now 5c and the rain is still hammering down.

Posted

Well the snow stopped as Eatenders started (which is good as I couldnt watch both!! lol ) Hoping a top up comes later!! (Greedy... moi??!! )

Posted

Left work in rain in Bedford (2.5C), arrived home 14 miles up the road to an inch of snow, two inches on the grass (0C). Just hit a wall of snow at the usual spot, near Sharnbrook summit on the A6. Stopped about 7pm, hasn't really thawed, though the roads are more slushy... was a bit tricky earlier. Hoping round two starts shortly.

Stanwick weather station a couple of miles from Rushden http://www.stanwickweather.org.uk/

didn't get above 0.6C all day, yet it was pushing 3C in Bedford this afternoon.

As TETIS says, the contrast was stark!

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

You're right Blizzard but we are only 4 miles from the North Sea.The high ground 20 miles to our west still have snow lying from January!

How have you done for snow this winter?

We have done very well snow in Dec. and got about 5 inch. in January are you talking about Durham there not Cleadon Hills because thats not 20 miles from Jarra, Tynemooth had some deep snow a couple of Fridays ago though didnt they and Shields? No thats not Durham WEST Lol.

Edited by Blizzard_of_Oz

Posted

My last post tonight, finally finished work so beer time. I would just like to say how well the Met Office did in predicting this weather today. They got my area pretty well perfect. Slightly underestimated the temperature but only by 1c. Well done the Met. Temp here now 5.1c and still chucking it down. Goodnight.

Posted

Not a flake in St Neots just 20 miles south of Peterborough on the A1. Although they have had snow....:-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!

We have done very well snow in Dec. and got about 5 inch. in January are you talking about Durham there not Cleadon Hills because thats not 20 miles from Jarra, Tynemooth had some deep snow a couple of Fridays ago though didnt they and Shields? No thats not Durham WEST Lol.

Now that all depends on your definition of deep!!

We have had 3 falls of about 4 inches so musn't grumble,would love a big dumping to finish off the winter tho.But at least this winter most of the country,including your patch,has had at least one good snowfall.

Posted

Really tipping down with rain in Norwich - very heavy. Some wet snow mixed in earlier but nowt else I fear. Hey-ho, winter ain't over yet!

Posted

My last post tonight, finally finished work so beer time. I would just like to say how well the Met Office did in predicting this weather today. They got my area pretty well perfect. Slightly underestimated the temperature but only by 1c. Well done the Met. Temp here now 5.1c and still chucking it down. Goodnight.

Advisory for heavy snow - pretty well perfect?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yay, it's snowing and starting to settle, bit wet and slushy looking but the grass and path are turning white pardon.gif

Posted

Like I said earlier when you wake up sober you may see some snow. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !
cc_confused.gif I must be the only one in MK who has bothered to look out of the window, where are you guys ?

Posted

Not a flake in St Neots just 20 miles south of Peterborough on the A1. Although they have had snow....:-(

17 miles west and we've done pretty well - good covering and just starting to snow again. Nowt in Bedford though I suspect - rain when I left work just before 5pm, that's the Ouse Valley for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

cc_confused.gif I must be the only one in MK who has bothered to look out of the window, where are you guys ?

Not a sausage here unknw.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Yay, it's snowing and starting to settle, bit wet and slushy looking but the grass and path are turning white pardon.gif

We have had moderate snow for 90 mins North Oxfordshire only 25 miles to your west

Settling everywhere

You see it all pivot around Bicester where I live (ox25) , then we get the stuff coming west rolleyes.gif

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by stewfox

Posted

I'm here, I can report that it is snowing lightly and has been since nightfall, temperature is around 1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I'm here, I can report that it is snowing lightly and has been since nightfall, temperature is around 1c.

Has it settled in MK ?

Settled everywhere here 25 miles to the West

I hear 25 miles south its only rain

Nice to be on the right side of marginal