Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 9

Posted

Temperature 4c and still rising here. The snow is falling disguised as rain.

When you sober up it might be snow, its only the weather John lol. :)

For places that have rain still you may need to wait till the wrap around part of the front comes back through. Interestingly another stronger part of the band has developed in the last hours with the likes of N.Norfolk and also TEITS seemingly getting some good returns from it.

Northampton to Cambs is right on the southern extent of where it could snow, go further south then that and its likely wrong side of marginal.

Ok Thankyou, well its better than a slushy mess this rain so good news for me.

Posted

For those who are only seeing rain there is a chance during the early hrs of tomorrow morning of this turning to snow.

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/02/18/basis12/ukuk/pslv/10021903_1812.gif

You need to wait until the LP tracks NE. However alot depends on how much precip is around.

Still snowing very hard here. No grass is visible with a good covering on the roads. I would estimate about 5cm at the moment.

Also are any other members in Peterborough suffering from electrical problems. My damn lights keep flickering all the time!

Posted

Eye, you've got another fairly decent burst coming up at from the south in the nexct hour or so, so probably going to add another 3cms in the next 90 mins or so, you guys have been lucky that the band has strengthened as it has recently in the east, also probably giving some heavy snow to parts of N.Norfolk as well now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SnOw and SuMmEr!!! :D

rain rain and hold on.............no its still rain lol wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Posted

Very heavy.................. Rain here, main road is flooded! If only this was snow!!!

Yes same here. Very heavy rain. Temps about 4c. Not sure there is any chance of snow, unless in the early hours of Friday we have some PPN around still and the conditions slightly more favourable.

Oh well, please places further north are getting snow. No really I am. :(

I see West Herts may well get some snow later, on the basis of the Met Office update at 6pm to Herts.

Crikey this reminds me so much of last Feb 2009 event. 5th I think was mentioned. When snow to west and north was very close but not quite close enough.

Posted

Temps here in South Suffolk have been going up all afternoon, currently its 3.2c with a dp of 2c, anyone got any idea why both are continuing to rise and whether or not and when they may begin to drop down again?

Posted

Yes same here. Very heavy rain. Temps about 4c. Not sure there is any chance of snow, unless in the early hours of Friday we have some PPN around still and the conditions slightly more favourable.

Oh well, please places further north are getting snow. No really I am. :D

I see West Herts may well get some snow later, on the basis of the Met Office update at 6pm to Herts.

Crikey this reminds me so much of last Feb 2009 event. 5th I think was mentioned. When snow to west and north was very close but not quite close enough.

West Herts eh? Interesting!

Posted

This is the text issued at 15.45 pm by the Met for eastern England for tonight and tomorrow.

Headline:

Staying cold with some sleet and snow at times.

This Evening and Tonight:

Most places will have a cloudy evening and night with outbreaks of sleet or snow. Some of the snow could be locally heavy and give a covering on the ground. Minimum temperature 0 °C.

Friday:

Cloudy day with a cold northwesterly wind. There will be further outbreaks of light sleet or snow but this should ease away by the end of the afternoon. Maximum temperature 3 °C.

Updated: 1541 on Thu 18 Feb 2010

Forecast for the Broads for Friday

A cold and cloudy day with outbreaks of sleet and snow moving away during the day. Cold northwesterly wind.

Updated: 1530 on Thu 18 Feb 2010

Posted

Had a covering of snow when I got home but now it's pouring with rain again. Unbelieveable. I can't believe I'm going to miss out again on some decent snow!!

Posted

West Herts eh? Interesting!

yes at 6pm. Herts made a warning from being an advisory. But I suspect they really mean west and north west herts.

Edited by Hammer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Wet Snow from mid morning, it only started to really stick from lunchtime onwards, there was a reasonable but slushy covering by 4pm..

but then I was in Selly Oak cold.gif (Birmingham)

Home now to a very wet and soggy MK where it seems the anti snow shield is fully operational ph34r.gif Boo

Still it was nice to see so much snow fall in daylight hours even if the first half of my journey home was a mare !

Is it still likely to turn to snow here overnight ?

The Met Office advisory is still on for Milton Keynes & Bucks so I'm hopeful.

Posted

Just a quick recap of whats going on.

At the moment the centre of the LP is just W of London. Now around midnight the centre of the LP should be near Norwich. This means after midnight the precip will be coming from the N/NW and this is when those who are experiencing rain may see it turn to snow.

The locations such as Northants and NW Cambs should see this remain as snow and im intrigued to see how much precip will be left on the NW flank.

Posted

Absolutely cracking snowfall!!! Falling thick and fast now! Approx 1.5" on hard surfaces and not showing any signs of letting up!

TEITS I haven't had any electrical problems as yet, but being on the other side of the city we're probably on a different substation.

Posted

Absolutely cracking snowfall!!! Falling thick and fast now! Approx 1.5" on hard surfaces and not showing any signs of letting up!

TEITS I haven't had any electrical problems as yet, but being on the other side of the city we're probably on a different substation.

OMG just looked outside and its absolutely throwing it down.

We have certainly hit the bullseye with this event although it makes up for the disappointing early Feb cold spell because we suffered dreadful bad luck.

Posted

Had a covering of snow when I got home but now it's pouring with rain again. Unbelieveable. I can't believe I'm going to miss out again on some decent snow!!

Your now on the wrong side of the frontal system and any precip you'll get will be rain because your in the milder airmass us in the south have had all day. Later tonight as TEITS has said you should get back into the front where it probably will fall as snow throughout but the big issue is the models all decay the system by this time...so its quite uncertain how much will be left by that time, could be enough to get an inch, may just give the slightest dusting, hard to call...

Posted

We have certainly hit the bullseye with this event although it makes up for the disappointing early Feb cold spell because we suffered dreadful bad luck.

How deep is it lying TEITS?

Major disappointment today in BTL, after our morning heavy snow. Stopped about 2. Now all gone. But 15 miles north or so there's big probs!

Posted

Absolutely chucking it down here. Very heavy rain. Certainly impressive amounts of rain in past few hours.

Posted

Well you've certainly made up for it, for the eastern part of the band your very likely to have hit the bullseye and you'll probably stay close to the southern part of the front, anywhere furthger south are in the slightly milder air...

Could well see some hail in the convective cells heading towards Cambs.

Posted

It's been chucking it down for ages at the moment, nothing on the floor yet, think it was just too warm and too wet from all the rain, however it is now starting to stick on the roof of the garages so fingers crossed it will settle.

TEITS do you think up here on the coast we'll still be getting snow as that low moves up to Norwich?

I'm a bit ambivalent on this I want the snow on one hand but on the other my dad has just had major surgery and is not doing well so need to be able to get out and support my mum and siblings so.....

Posted

yes at 6pm. Herts made a warning from being an advisory. But I suspect they really mean west and north west herts.

I think this is because the low has moved further east before its predicted movement

further northeast, and as such we should pull in the colder air quicker and also more

precipitation than first thought.

Posted

How deep is it lying TEITS?

Major disappointment today in BTL, after our morning heavy snow. Stopped about 2. Now all gone. But 15 miles north or so there's big probs!

I would say around between 5-7cm. The rate its currently falling will probably see this rise to around 10cm if it carries on for another 30mins!

Slightly nervous that even my region may for a short period become marginal.

Posted

I would say around between 5-7cm. The rate its currently falling will probably see this rise to around 10cm if it carries on for another 30mins!

Slightly nervous that even my region may for a short period become marginal.

Good for you mate. Enjoy! You deserve it after some of the unwarranted stick you've taken on here in the last couple of weeks.

Legendhi.gif