Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Showers intensity has decreaced in the N.Sea after a peak at around 8pm. I am not expecting much now after a promising build up. There is still the chance intensity could increase after midnight.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Showers intensity has decreaced in the N.Sea after a peak at around 8pm. I am not expecting much now after a promising build up. There is still the chance intensity could increase after midnight.....

Don't give up just yet, there's a fairly potent shower heading for Tyneside. Presuming it loses a third of its intensity by the time it reaches Tyneside 2cm could fall. Just think, 3 showers like that during the night and we'd have 6cm :D I'm going to be disappointed if there isn't at least 2cm in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Hopefully Teeside can get a decent amount of snow tonight smile.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Sky has clouded up and has a pink glow :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

snowing at the moment, quite heavy but the flakes are small, lets hope the flakes increase in size soon.

Flakes were quite big here just a couple of minutes ago, falling very slowly too it looked very nice. Got a slight dusting now and it looks like another couple of showers to come.

Posted

Flakes marginally improved now and it coming down heavier again! Got a light covering on all surfaces now. Bit thicker on parts of the grass from yesterday's snowfall too.

Edit: Thats better, some decent sized flakes now. :whistling:

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Are you guys also feeling marginally cheesed off by the huge rampede created by the latest offering by the GFS? I know I am!!

Posted

Are you guys also feeling marginally cheesed off by the huge rampede created by the latest offering by the GFS? I know I am!!

Nope as its only one run and aslong people don't get mis-led, people can ramp away all they like.

What does annoy me is if the PPN was further north, we would hear, "18Z downgrade with only Scotland in the firing line" - i don't understand when people type in ONLY Scotland, its still part of the UK! If i was to be awkward, we could say, only parts of the midlands is in the firing line of anything significant snowwise as it will be to mild in the extreme south and drier further North. But better not and let people ramp away until the next run. :lol:

Slight covering here at the moment, some huge flakes on the backend of that last shower. Looks like we might get hit by one more shower and the fun and games should be over for Tyne and Wear i would of thought.

Posted

Omg no snow here whats going on?

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Just had a really heavy shower (20 mins) and has left a healthy covering of about 2cm..!! Ive been watching the low over the north sea on the visible satellite and the mass of cloud is definately making headway towards our shores, if it continues on this path we and our friends north of the border could be in for one hell of a dumping in the early hours.

Posted

Don't give up just yet, there's a fairly potent shower heading for Tyneside. Presuming it loses a third of its intensity by the time it reaches Tyneside 2cm could fall. Just think, 3 showers like that during the night and we'd have 6cm :whistling: I'm going to be disappointed if there isn't at least 2cm in the morning.

Even if you get 6cm's (wishful thinking) it will be gone by 9am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Nope as its only one run and aslong people don't get mis-led, people can ramp away all they like.

What does annoy me is if the PPN was further north, we would hear, "18Z downgrade with only Scotland in the firing line" - i don't understand when people type in ONLY Scotland, its still part of the UK! If i was to be awkward, we could say, only parts of the midlands is in the firing line of anything significant snowwise as it will be to mild in the extreme south and drier further North. But better not and let people ramp away until the next run. smile.gif

Sensible post, considering the 18Z showed this last night and the other runs went totally in different directions! Perhaps a break from the vigorous watching of every model is required to keep us all sane! Enjoy tonight anyway - only about 1cm here from it though Aberdeen saw four inches in two hours! Talk about unforecast until +24 events delivering!

Posted

Last nights light fall has left a winter wonderland this morning-currently clear skies and temperature -4c. Going by the latest charts we have at least another week of cold-snow is another story in these situations-I reckon a heavier fall will arrive virtually unforecasted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Last nights light fall has left a winter wonderland this morning-currently clear skies and temperature -4c. Going by the latest charts we have at least another week of cold-snow is another story in these situations-I reckon a heavier fall will arrive virtually unforecasted.

I think it's inevitable we'll get a good snowfall soon. I often only check the GFS ensembles now and they are looking very good at the moment for T850's and PPN.

850 temps look like stay around or below -5 for the foreseeable future...

post-3392-12666581723717_thumb.png

Also plenty of PPN possible...

post-3392-12666581837217_thumb.png

According to the 00z operational, we have to wait until Wednesday, hopefully the 06z coming out now will give us something a little earlier.

EDIT: The 06z still quite dry until Wednesday, but from Wednesday it's showing potential for snow moving over us, then not moving anywhere fast, staying with us for around 36hrs! The LP in the north sea is nicely placed just off the coast to feed snow into our region.

Really just showing what is possible, but however much I would like to see this happen it's still quite unlikely at this stage. It could all miss us again leaving us looking further ahead for our snow.

Posted

The 6z gives us quite a snowstorm next week, it looks pretty good with strong winds and several hours of heavy snow. There is probably a 50/50 chance of this happening, originally the snow was going to stay south but a few runs lately have sent the snow further north. Also, it wouldn't take much of a northward push for us to get snow tomorrow, but at the moment it looks like staying in Yorkshire.

The 6z also gives us more heavy snow at the end of the week. If this run came off we'd see several dumpings of snow between Wednesday and the weekend, I think it shows what is possible more than anything else at this stage. Its worth watching to see if this keeps cropping up as this run would surely give massive amounts of snow to our region.

EDIT: this run is pure fantasy, after the two snowstorms have cleared it shows a cold ridge of high pressure in time for next weekend, if only we could just bank this now.

Edited by alza

Posted

No Snow here this morning sadly :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Yes plenty of potential in the models and as long as we hang on to the cold weather opportunities will always arise. Look at Aberdeen yesterday which got 4 inches that wasn't forecast.

Beautiful morning here with a light covering of snow and a lovely sunny blue sky. Higher areas of Gateshead hung onto yesterday thursdays snow quite well and with another top up last night should hang onto the snow at least on the grass for a while yet.

Posted

I am Supposed to be going to Sedgefield Races Tommorrow with my mam,dad,sis but they have issued a 8oclock inspection in the morning. What is the weather going to be like for Sedgefield today and overnight? Also what would you rate the chances of the meeting to go ahead? Any replies much appreaciated

Posted

Oh I nearly forgot there's 2.5cm of snow here.

Edited by alza

Posted

I am Supposed to be going to Sedgefield Races Tommorrow with my mam,dad,sis but they have issued a 8oclock inspection in the morning. What is the weather going to be like for Sedgefield today and overnight? Also what would you rate the chances of the meeting to go ahead? Any replies much appreaciated

I would have thought that most of any snow that might have fallen at Sedgefield will have thawed in the sun by then but the ground will be frozen hard.I am not familiar as to whether having the ground frozen would cause racing to be cancelled.

Posted

I would have thought that most of any snow that might have fallen at Sedgefield will have thawed in the sun by then but the ground will be frozen hard.I am not familiar as to whether having the ground frozen would cause racing to be cancelled.

Here is the report of the Attheraces webiste. So what do you think of my chances now? :)

Sunday's meeting at Sedgefield is subject to an 8am inspection due to the threat of further frost.

The Durham venue is unraceable at present but clerk of the course Charlie Moore is hoping conditions will improve in the next 24 hours.

He said: "It got down to minus 4C overnight and the course is not raceable at the moment. We're hopeful it will warm up and the track will be raceable and we've got the fleeces down in the vulnerable areas to try and help us."

He added: "It is forecast to get down to minus 3C, but we wouldn't want it to get any colder than that."

Posted

Overnight snow has just about disappeared apart from where direct sunlight has been unable to reach, temperature is a staggering 7.3°C..!!! Feels really pleasant out and about almost 'spring like' with hardly a breath of wind...Bring on the warmer days..:D