Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Hi guys just wondering what you think of my first forecasting attempt.

http://forum.netweat...blog&blogid=239

I cant connect to the link???

Posted

These advisories are issued by 1300 daily as routine, though they may be updated at other times if required. They indicate confidence of expected severe or extreme weather. Early warnings and Flash Warnings supersede advisories when confidence levels are 60% or greater.

Risk of disruption Warning Valid North East England: Darlington Durham Middlesbrough Northumberland Stockton-on-Tees Heavy Snow Wed 24 Feb There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England, Wales, Southern Scotland and Northern Ireland. Outbreaks of snow may give further falls of 2 to 5 cm, with in excess of 10cm possible in places, especially on high ground. Strong northeasterly winds may cause some drifting.

Issued at: 1140 Sun 21 Feb

Seems the met office are pretty confident of heavy snow for our region on Wednesday.

Posted

Its been disappointing up here today with light snow on and off all afternoon,a few flakes falling at the moment but with the temperature now falling close to zero and further snow showers (and I believe it will snow on and off for a few more hours) will give us some slight to moderate accumulations by tomorrow morning,as to Wednesday's "event" it is well outside what is reliable at the moment so lets hold our breath and wait anither 36 hours at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Well snow all morning but from thornaby to redcar it didnt lay then a wintry mix this afternoon in Redcar and just got back to Thornaby and was a wintry mix but now stopped I think? Is it going to snow tonight?

Posted

Its been snowing quite heavily for the past 20 minutes or so and judging by the radar there is more to come,we have a proper covering already and anyone who catches these showers will probably get a reasonable amount but they are patchy,I would imagine they will only die down slowly during the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Well I've got my 2 cms here in Durham. I'm surprised we've ended up with so much considering the reports from elsewhere in the region. Hopefully some more to come this week.

Posted

Theres lying snow outside which has fell in the last hour once again unnoticed by me. Most likely when I was making cookies I'd see about a mm or two so nothing to shout about. Nothing coming from the skys at the moment but most have fell in the last few hours.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Wow as soon i give up almost i look out the window and find it snowing and laying :(

Posted

Typical. Huge patch on the radar comes straight for Hexham and evaporates 5 miles away.

Posted

I'm going for a bath so would probably use the sods law to determine that there will be a significant snowfall in Wearside(Washington, Sunderland) in the next hour while I'm in the bath. This assumption is purely determined by sods law and is in no way GFS, UKMO or ECM related but will probably be more accurateyahoo.gif

Posted

Well that dusting of wet snow melted 10 mins ago apart from cars but snowing again and laying but it wet so it will just melt again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm guessing that there must be an onshore wind in the North East because judging by Neil Bradshaw's readings and webcam outputs, it appears that South Shields has been having wet snow and temps holding up at 2C.

Posted

Just drove from Consett to Newcastle, glad I came in early as for the amount of snow that has falling the roads are shockingly bad, wouldn't have fancied trying to get in at 8am :wallbash:

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Was heavy snow here around 6pm yesterday plus had some more over night. Depth of about 3 inches here now. Overnight temp was -6.2. Wednesday looks very interesting though.

Posted

well i have a 2-3cm covering somehow! when i went to bed last night i looked out my window and there was white, after nothing laying earlier, and thought meh, it must just be a quick dusting. apparently not!

its frozen up overnight too, so i'm happy, had a quick flurry of graupel earlier too. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Very nice up here this morning, with a covering of snow everywhere with sunshine and blue skies.

Just heard someone at work telling everyone it's going to snow for the next 10 days. It drives me mad when people spread rumours like that and when it doesn't happen people will blame the forecasters instead of the person who started the rumour.

Anyway, not looking quite as good as it did a couple of days ago but still looks like most of us should see more snow this week.