Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Most people think that's it for winter, as for the rest of us hanging about clutching at straws can just about give it up also, Friday will be another non event imo.

not so Hagler,we aint even out of feb yet.plenty time for disruptive snow still.next week looks interesting but still too far out just yet.

Posted

not so Hagler,we aint even out of feb yet.plenty time for disruptive snow still.next week looks interesting but still too far out just yet.

I'm thinking it is over BUT, I have seen heavy snow fall in March on quite afew occasions which has give coverings for a couple of days, so it may not be over yet.

Posted

I'm thinking it is over BUT, I have seen heavy snow fall in March on quite afew occasions which has give coverings for a couple of days, so it may not be over yet.

March can certainly produce heavy snowfall especially the first half. A strong northerly flow in March is every bit as cold as it can be during the depths of winter, people who write off chances of snow once March sets in need reminding it was only 2 years ago we saw one of our wintriest easters, and the 6th April 08 produced heavy snow in much of eastern Britain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think too many people confuse what they would like "Spring" to signify with what it actually signifies. Spring is about the lengthening daylight, the increasing strength of the sun, the erratic rise in temperature and/or the start of the new growing season. The concept of a sudden change from wintry weather to persistent high pressure, maxima of 15C and no more snow for the rest of the season is pure fantasy.

It may be fair to say that the severest of the wintry weather is now behind us- though after the phenomenal period 17th December to 9th January, this was always likely to be the case anyway. There is still an outside chance of March being more snowy than February across the region- March 2006, and those of 1995 and 2001 over more limited areas of the region, managed to be snowier than this February has been.

There is no guarantee of anything snowy on the horizon but it looks like remaining on the cool side, and next week should be dry and sunny to begin with, and it could either stay that way or we could pick up wintry showers from the north-east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

New warnings put out, only for County Durham and Northumberland...

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of southern Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England. Outbreaks of snow are expected, with accumulations of 10 to 20cms likely over ground above 200 metres. Lower lying areas, especially close to North Sea coasts should only have rain or sleet.

Issued at: 2242 Thu 25 Feb

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ne/ne_forecast_warnings.html

Would be nice to see snow while I'm at work tomorrow in Consett but I'm not building my hopes up.

Posted

The elusive disruptive snow has only been 3 or 4 days away for the last couple of weeks and never materialized :mellow:

Edited by Hagler

Posted

Precipiation starting to turn sleety here. Going by Meto forecast it could be an intresting day. Wind picking up. Drifting should be a problem on higher routes in a few hours time.

Posted

3.7c here at the moment so unless there is a marked drop in the dew point and the temperature during the day I fear it will be a high ground event only,so enjoy yourselves up in Consett and Teesdale.

Posted

March can certainly produce heavy snowfall especially the first half. A strong northerly flow in March is every bit as cold as it can be during the depths of winter, people who write off chances of snow once March sets in need reminding it was only 2 years ago we saw one of our wintriest easters, and the 6th April 08 produced heavy snow in much of eastern Britain.

Not saying this is going to happen but I remember mid-march 78/79, raining all day Friday and changed to snow overnight and gave a heavy fall, even down here <100mt asl. Saturday night brought more snow and high winds and on Sunday morning everywhere was at a standstill and the village I live in completely cut off by deep drifted snow.

Possibly 30th April 1980/81?, snow all day but wet down here and only 4" but places like Stanley...deep deep!!

You never know...!!

Posted

Already slightly sleety on the car windscreen in Consett and things should only improve. Hoping for a covering before I leave at 5pm, but it will probably take some heavy snow to stick on such wet ground.

Netweather radar looks spot on again for the ppn type. Consett is on the border between rain and sleet.

Some hope tonight even for lower parts in the Met Office forecast...

Tonight:

Coastal areas will have rain or sleet, while inland the snow will start off predominantly over high ground but may become more widespread at lower levels. Minimum temperature 0 °C.

Posted

Already slightly sleety on the car windscreen in Consett and things should only improve. Hoping for a covering before I leave at 5pm, but it will probably take some heavy snow to stick on such wet ground.

Netweather radar looks spot on again for the ppn type. Consett is on the border between rain and sleet.

Some hope tonight even for lower parts in the Met Office forecast...

hi mark,the snow is stuck up at Waskerly.lol

Posted

Just gone from Bridgehill to Consett and in that short drive temp dropped by 1.5 degrees. Snowing in Consett and in this wind could be intersting later on.

Looking good now for a covering in the next few hours I think. Just need to keep the ppn and a slight temp drop should do it. Wet snow now but only building up on car windscreens so far.

Might even get out of work a little early if it starts covering, so bring it on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Came home over Hisehope Moor around an hour ago. -1C at the top with heavy drifting snow lying on the roads and blowing. 0C was around 1200-1300 ft where the snow was wet and sticky, sleet below that level but in the time i was out the snow level was dropping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Rain and sleet here in Peterlee, very cold outside

Posted

Got a covering here in Consett now and still snowing, mainly just covered the grass and cars. It's not amounting to much so far, still a bit too wet I think.

We could do with the heavier stuff moving in, but it seems to be staying a few miles east of here.

Posted

Just come back from work and there wasn't a thing till you got into Medomsley, roads in Consett starting to get a bit dodgy.

Building up nicely here now at Hownsgill Park, sounds strange but I'm not looking forward to leaving work and going home to Stanley, probably nothing there.

Our courier driver just said there's not even snow in Blackhill and Shotley.

Posted

Building up nicely here now at Hownsgill Park, sounds strange but I'm not looking forward to leaving work and going home to Stanley, probably nothing there.

Our courier driver just said there's not even snow in Blackhill and Shotley.

Coming down heavily now, another hour and it will be dodgy in Stanley with rush hour traffic.

Posted

Anybody want to guess whether we get snow in Tyne and Wear tonight. Do you think the temps/DPs will drop far enough ??

Personally I think it is borderline, may get some slushy sleety messy stuff overnight but would love to be enlightened further. I would like to walk home from the pub tonight in the snow, in Ryton, but somehow think I may just get wet !!

Karl

Posted

Anybody want to guess whether we get snow in Tyne and Wear tonight. Do you think the temps/DPs will drop far enough ??

Personally I think it is borderline, may get some slushy sleety messy stuff overnight but would love to be enlightened further. I would like to walk home from the pub tonight in the snow, in Ryton, but somehow think I may just get wet !!

Karl

Snow line just below Stanley so I think you may be dissapointed, also weather is to move further North later on as we become dry.