Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Just about a covering remains here after lasts nights couple of cms,but consistant drizzle is helping clear it away-currently temperature is 3c-a bit of sunshine would be nice prior to Thursdays possible snow mageddon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

You may be in luck- I think Monday and Tuesday in particular look like being reasonably sunny.

If that easterly snowmaggeddon on the GFS 06Z, or anything remotely like it, actually comes off, then those who say, "snow is useless after the 1st March- it never sticks around unless there's no sun at all- bring on Summer Spring", might end up having to eat some humble pie!

Posted

Yesterday evening's dusting was washed away overnight by rain.

No more need said. Although I think Springwell to The QE Hospital seem to be doing quite well with still having there dusting between two and three today maybe this has something to do with a wierd micro-climate they seem to have seen as they got that snow nobody else saw a few weeks ago.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

No more need said. Although I think Springwell to The QE Hospital seem to be doing quite well with still having there dusting between two and three today maybe this has something to do with a wierd micro-climate they seem to have seen as they got that snow nobody else saw a few weeks ago.

Yep, there was quite a covering on the grass up there this morning whilst if you head about 2 miles further east of the QE, no lying snow was to be seen.

Oh, and i saw snow from that very localised shower a few weeks ago, good 2CM's i recorded whilst other places seen nothing.

Hoping for some snowfall next week but that still remains uncertain at this stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

A good 2-3cm around Low Fell this morning, and probably 3-5cm around the Angel. It was on all surfaces too, though it was clearly thawing. What made it weird was that within about 100m of the Tyne Bridge there went from being nothing to an inch, then from the A1 Junction near the Angel to about 60 seconds drive down the road there went from being two inches to just a few patches here and there! And Low Fell is only 20m higher than here!

Posted

Not a micro climate, was very marginal last night and the locations above are slightly higher up than surrounding areas.

Posted

Theres marginal and theres pencil lines. I don't mind a bit of marginality but 5-10m making that much of a difference between a dusting and a couple of inches is silly.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Just had a really heavy hail shower :D

Posted

Theres marginal and theres pencil lines. I don't mind a bit of marginality but 5-10m making that much of a difference between a dusting and a couple of inches is silly.

Some of the episode's this winter, especially recently, have emphasized just how marginal it gets here in the low lying NE!

Drove home from work either Sat or Sun last wknd and it had snowed heavy just before I finished and there was a couple inches at Durham...A167 totally snow covered. Dropped down to Chester and there was a thin covering of slush. Drove over the wear at Lumley castle with the trees wet and dripping, by the top of the golf course road a climb of no more than 20mts the trees were white with snow on every branch and it was very wintry looking.

Last night here left a thin layer of snow on grass and cars, lowest temp +0.6. 30/40 mts higher and I bet it was 0c and that makes all the difference.

From my upstairs window I have a great view west over Chester/Stanley/Sunnyside/Gateshead/Wrekenton/Sacriston/Burnhope and the snow line was clearly marked and annoying!! Higher than where I live!! Can even see the Cheviot out of the back window at times, way up to the North.

Edited by Airedalejoe

Posted

Some of the episode's this winter, especially recently, have emphasized just how marginal it gets here in the low lying NE!

Drove home from work either Sat or Sun last wknd and it had snowed heavy just before I finished and there was a couple inches at Durham...A167 totally snow covered. Dropped down to Chester and there was a thin covering of slush. Drove over the wear at Lumley castle with the trees wet and dripping, by the top of the golf course road a climb of no more than 20mts the trees were white with snow on every branch and it was very wintry looking.

Last night here left a thin layer of snow on grass and cars, lowest temp +0.6. 30/40 mts higher and I bet it was 0c and that makes all the difference.

From my upstairs window I have a great view west over Chester/Stanley/Sunnyside/Gateshead/Wrekenton/Sacriston/Burnhope and the snow line was clearly marked and annoying!! Higher than where I live!! Can even see the Cheviot out of the back window at times, way up to the North.

I was in Chester le Street today, when I hit the snow just to the south of the Tyne in Low Fell I thought I'd see some there, but after the Angel of the North it turned back to rain. Interestingly, when you looked across towards the Stanley area the snowline seemed higher, which suggests there was a localised fall of accumulating snow around Low Fell courtesy of a heavier burst of precipitation.

Posted

That I realise but I cannot remember such a long snowcover there. Slightly lower temperatures and my area at 200ft asl would have had snow lying most of the time.I am not complainig mind you we have done very well this winter thus far and with the middle/end of next week looking very promising it would be a great way to end the winter with an epic fall of snow over the whole area.

Posted

just seen two gritter trucks go by unknw.gif didn't think there was any occasion for them tonight hah?

anyways, after a disapointing few days of my area being toooooo low and tooo close to the coast (where pelaw managed to get snow and i didnt shok.gif), we eventually have an interesting couple of days forecasted i.e. thursday/friday :whistling: snow level forecasted to be legible for all again, then who knows after that the GFS seems to have gone a bit loopy forecasting a raging easterly, then next run slap bang high over us. either way the upcoming weather looks to be of the enjoyable sort either way if we have dry weather, dry cold weather or snowy weather. :help:

Posted

I'm not sure if you mis-red my post Andy but the only "snow" i saw last night was very wet and it was probably more sleety most of the time. The snow i was on about was around 2 weeks ago where me and you recorded around 2CM's whilst others in the region recieved nowt.

Regarding next week potential, the isobars do look tight on all the models output, i just hope the ECM is closer as this would bring the risk of snowfall more widely as the centre of the high won't be to close. Unfortunately GFS was right the last time with the high being to far South, lets hope it will be slightly different this time.

GFS PPN charts suggest convective PPN will be limited, i assume this will be due a weather front trapped in the flow with alot of cloud to the north of it stopping convective showers to develop. Of course, it not such a bad thing if you are actually under the PPN there is as it would certainly be snow on the 18Z run with those cold uppers!

A cloudy easterly is certainly not welcomed, especially if the isobars will be that tight but winter is certainly not over yet!

Posted

Looks like a trough forming over southern scotland which could give some snow to higher parts of the region as it drifts down this afternoon.

First day of spring tomorrow,although the weather looks like giving it the two fingered salute!

Posted

Okay the cold edge of todays low didn't decide to come and snow us in today which could have happened so we are now looking from Tues-Thurs with Wednesday night to Fri Morning being the biggy. I have never seen substantial snow in March, let it be please.

Posted

I'm not sure if you mis-red my post Andy but the only "snow" i saw last night was very wet and it was probably more sleety most of the time. The snow i was on about was around 2 weeks ago where me and you recorded around 2CM's whilst others in the region recieved nowt.

Regarding next week potential, the isobars do look tight on all the models output, i just hope the ECM is closer as this would bring the risk of snowfall more widely as the centre of the high won't be to close. Unfortunately GFS was right the last time with the high being to far South, lets hope it will be slightly different this time.

GFS PPN charts suggest convective PPN will be limited, i assume this will be due a weather front trapped in the flow with alot of cloud to the north of it stopping convective showers to develop. Of course, it not such a bad thing if you are actually under the PPN there is as it would certainly be snow on the 18Z run with those cold uppers!

A cloudy easterly is certainly not welcomed, especially if the isobars will be that tight but winter is certainly not over yet!

i probably should have phrased it differently lol, all i managed to acheive the other night was heavy sleety rain, whereas a couple miles to west you managed sleety snow. and the one you mentioned 2 weeks ago i managed to get a dusting i think, but ive had more during the start of last week where i woke up to a dusting on a few mornings, and about 2cm one morning.

Edited by Andy Sabb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Had some fairly heavy rain and sleet showers today in Peterlee.