Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

2.4c here now I would be very suprised to see snow cover here in the morning. Reports of 'non-events' furhter south.

The first band of PPN looks to have been caught by the following band creating a more intense area.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

2.4c here now I would be very suprised to see snow cover here in the morning. Reports of 'non-events' furhter south.

The first band of PPN looks to have been caught by the following band creating a more intense area.....

In yorkshire thread it seems like temp drop when hopefully snow arrives and if its heavy even better so keep hoping! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

New warning just out, covers Tyne and Wear this time too...

Periods of snow overnight and through Wednesday morning are likely to give falls of 2 to 5cm away from the coast, with 5 to 10cm above about 150 metres. Falls in excess of 10cm are possible over the Cheviots and Pennines, where some drifting is expected. The snow should ease and turn to rain from the south during Wednesday morning.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 2149 Tue 23 Feb

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ne/ne_forecast_warnings.html

Posted

New warning just out, covers Tyne and Wear this time too...

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

and teeside.... :)

Posted

Precip due to hit Newcastle area by about midnight. However, current air temps are about 3 deg c widely across the region according to Vaisala ICE,looks borderline to me.

Posted

Where is everyone?

Light PPN moving into the region from the SW now, with some much heavier stuff behind hopefully reaching us in the early hours and hopefully before it gets too mild.

Still plenty of reports of snow in the Yorkshire thread, and not just high levels either. Even snow still reported in lower areas in Wales, so hopefully it'll be a while before the milder air turns the PPN to rain.

Nearest station here is showing temp of 1.1C and dewpoint -1.3C so average just below 0C. Wouldn't want that to rise too much or else even up here could be marginal.

Posted

Sorry to be a bore guys ( I love the snow as you know ) but I've had enough of will it, wont it snow, most of the time we get sleet here anyway and I see no reason looking at the current temp here why tonight will be any different.

Bring on the spring/summer lets see some decent storms and of course hurricane season is always interesting to follow.

Roll on next winter hopefully if the experts are right and we are in a cooling trend, then it should be fun and games all the way :cold:

Posted

It's snowing here now, it must be wet because I can hear it on the window. I feared the worst but when I looked out it is snow and it's covering nicely.

Radar not looking great for PPN amounts, but it looks like higher parts at least will have a covering by morning.

Not looking so good for low areas, could well be a non-event for most.

Good luck though I wish everyone could get some and not just us up here. We can afford to share after this winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Ah, there is some life in here. Thought everyone must be bored of snow as has been snowing up here near stanley since after midnight and charts loom like continuing well into early hours.

Real surprised as charts and meto forecast this south or north of us yesterday and wasnt till finished work at midnight looked at radar.

A pleasant surprise, hopefully will get a few more through the late winter.

Had to hijack scotland thread as most in here must be 2 used to weather by now.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

None event up here, there is about 1cm outside, far from the 20 cm's they were predicting :)

non event here too i was told that.. so i got all excited hoping maybe there was last chance as last night i expected this and true as i got up nothing! i feel awfull.. now i have to go out now in a damp old muggy day instead of a snowy one!diablo.gif and i bet you if this was in the southeast.. it wouldve tonned them with snow! poor notheners..

Posted

A 2cm covering of slushy snow here, with the odd bit of sleet falling at the moment.

Not exactly what i had in mind when i looked out of the window this morning!

Posted

4/5 in here. Some drifting has taken place. Fri looks more interesting as colder air more South.

Mark

Posted

Well that wasn't great.

Just a slushy covering about 1cm at home, and probably about an inch in Consett.

Now onto Friday!

Posted

Wel that was a non event :) any snow events coming up?

Posted

Wel that was a non event :) any snow events coming up?

Fri could be interesting for high ground as a front pushes up from the south grinds to halt then cold air pushes Southwards all in a strong NE wind. Well that according to GFS?

Mark

Posted

Fri could be interesting for high ground as a front pushes up from the south grinds to halt then cold air pushes Southwards all in a strong NE wind. Well that according to GFS?

Mark

oh just high ground (N)

Posted

Looked out the window this morning and there was only a very wet ground no snow I was only expecting an inch, why oh why did it have to go so far north to get anything decent. Is Friday looking good for low ground if not will we get much at the weekend from the band of low pressure in Madiera or will it just be rain?

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Yet another quiet night on netweather.

Most people think that's it for winter, as for the rest of us hanging about clutching at straws can just about give it up also, Friday will be another non event imo.

Posted

Dream scenario imo is for us to get opened up to easterly winds with the snow system in the highlands backtracking southwards to us retainng the intensity and hopefully us keeping our cold temps during the snow with clear drowns.

Realistic scenario and nice low pressure to track in from europe or the southern corner of the uk. And even that'll take some doing.

I want the first.

Posted

Beginning to think that many inland parts with a bit of height say above 150m will see some locally heavy falls of snow overnight Friday into Saturday as we see the colder air dig in behind the front, the 528 dam looks like cutting through the region, if precipitation is heavy we will see evaporative cooling. Certainly the Cheviots and North Pennines will see some significant snow and the Lake District Fells, wouldn't be surprised if the Met put out an advisory for S Scotland and NE Eng and Cumbria for later Friday and early hours of Saturday. Indeed the BBC has shown snowfall for these regions for Friday night into Saturday.