Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

Best of it is with the pics I've put up the trees and cars were more or less clear at 5pm last night. It is deeper than it looks and since those pics were taken it has snowed more or less non-stop (5 hours now). Coming down like nothing I've seen since 1996. I can't quite believe this is happening. Will get more pics later :p

I actually have chills running down my neck!! :shok::p:shok:

Posted

Certainly looks like some areas have copped it up there, probably another 12-24hrs of snow for some though it will start to become a little more patchy in nature, then the threat eases southwards just a little as others have said earlier towards the borders and possibly into northern England.

Certainly some heavy precip in W/C Scotland at the moment though, higher ground may well be pushing 100cms in some spots...

Edited by kold weather

Potential for quite a bit more precip before this front moves off:

post-2844-12671045626917_thumb.pngpost-2844-12671045815517_thumb.pngpost-2844-12671046084317_thumb.png

The snow is just the smallest of flakes now but really heavy. I will try to get more photos later but have two wee ones and an immobile MrsCatch to think about too. I wish the school had been on today as MrsCatch and ToddlerCatch are having a snooze at the moment but I need to be here in case BoyCatch comes in from the back garden. The kids don't know where to start with the snow :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Great photos catch.

Looking at the fax charts looks like a some snow to come Fri/Sat. Still not sure if we're gonna miss out here? whats your thoughts?

My husbands gonna think i've gonna on strike, i've got tons of things to do and i'm still sat at the computer! lol!

Edited by snowy owl

Great photos catch.

Looking at the fax charts looks like a some snow to come Fri/Sat. Still not sure if we're gonna miss out here? whats your thoughts?

My husbands gonna think i've gonna on strike, i've got tons of things to do and i'm still sat at the computer! lol!

:shok: Strike away :) (just have the computer on in the background and go back to it every two minutes like me!!)

Plenty of potential for the next day or two and I think many places could get some snow when the front comes back south as forecast. I don't think many places will be as lucky as I have been though :good:

I'm half expecting it to stop or turn to rain anytime soon but it just keeps coming down. Another 12-24 hours of this (to quote KW above) and it will be getting almost as good as Feb 1996.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

This truly is and has been an amazing winter, its just keeping going - the winter and the snow!

Think the snow dome may transfer to us for fri/sat - although we might get lucky and nab some snow.

Outlook still looks cold, unsure exactly where the high is gonna set up, and this will determine what happens next i think.

Batty's forecast ROCKS :)

He mentions Stirling and cm's in the same breath lol

I'll need to get that online as our TV reception has gone. Mobile phone reception down too.

What next??:

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/tayside/159924-11000-homes-without-power-after-snow/

I need leccy!!! And broadband :shok:

Edit: I thought I'd seen it all but the snow now :good::)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Just back in from Falkirk (pizza hut, mmmmmmmmm) and what a contrast. Very little snow around toon, and patchy on outskirst. 3 miles west to me and still got 5" although starting to turn slushy. Starting to get dark over by the Ochils again, so anticipate more snow shortly.

Just back in from Falkirk (pizza hut, mmmmmmmmm) and what a contrast. Very little snow around toon, and patchy on outskirst. 3 miles west to me and still got 5" although starting to turn slushy. Starting to get dark over by the Ochils again, so anticipate more snow shortly.

Mmmm, pizza!!! That's what we had for tea last night. That's also why I have a huge bruise on my elbow. I am beginning to think I might have done some damage to it....

It's getting ridiculous here. Surely it can't snow much longer??

Any more snow with you yet??

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

It's getting ridiculous here. Surely it can't snow much longer??

Any more snow with you yet??

Not yet, but like the sound of KW's comment (12/24hrs more snow) Quite happy for it to hold of till temps start to drop again, currently 2.4C

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

click play, looks like quite a bit tonight till about 3pm tomorrow.

Edited by Cheggers

Not yet, but like the sound of KW's comment (12/24hrs more snow) Quite happy for it to hold of till temps start to drop again, currently 2.4C

The fax charts looked like 12-36 hours more snow possibly. If it snowed as it is now for 36 hours I'd be stranded for days.

I'm expecting to lose the leccy anytime (well, more like prepared than expecting!). Phone should be ok as the phone exchange is 30 metres away :shok:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Breeze now starting to pick up as well.

I looked at the radar for the first time in ages and it looks like the precip will clear here in half and hour or so. I wonder when the front will start moving south again?

We're probably at the point where we've got enough snow now. I never thought I'd type that :shok:

Posted

We're probably at the point where we've got enough snow now. I never thought I'd type that :good:

Sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no need for talk like that in here. :shok:

Edited by Cheggers

Sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no need for talk like that in here. :shok:

I meant it more from the point of view that the snow falling here could move elsewhere and fall there to spread the white love!! :good:

Posted

I meant it more from the point of view that the snow falling here could move elsewhere and fall there to spread the white love!! :shok:

I think Fluffybottomshire and our friends over on the east coast will be asking for that!

I think Fluffybottomshire and our friends over on the east coast will be asking for that!

I could auction it off for charity :shok:

Precip still seems to be moving north, what do you think??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Loving the current Aviemore webcam!

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/aviemore/

Posted

This is terrible, I want some snow!

I know what I'm doing at the weekend, snow hunt to find the deepest snow. Think I'll leave the car behind and let the good old public transport system take me to it.

This is terrible, I want some snow!

I know what I'm doing at the weekend, snow hunt to find the deepest snow. Think I'll leave the car behind and let the good old public transport system take me to it.

Head west! (do I get a prize for stating the bleeding obvious :lol:) Where were you thinking of??

I bricked it there when it started raining for a few minutes. Back to the snow again. Very marginal late in the day again, just like yesterday.

Posted

I could auction it off for charity :lol:

Precip still seems to be moving north, what do you think??

To a degree, I think the western edge is beginning to stall now though.

Still nowt here yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I've given up hoping for any more snow here now. Haven't been upto Clarkston or Newton Mearns today but I reckon it will still be snowing up there, especially if that Neilston webcam is anything to go by.

Also serves to further my belief that cold, dry and crisp weather is better than any promise of snow in Glasgow. It's just too unreliable.