Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

I've given up hoping for any more snow here now.

Raining here now. Latest BBC forecasts going for rain everywhere expect further north at altitude, although Scottish forecast suggested some snow at lower levels tomorrow was possible.

Posted

Well I reakon I'm on 36 hrs of continuous snow and still coming down. Just off to see if I can get my car out to get to work tonight, loving it!

Depths not huge due to being quite wet and heavy but 9 inches isn't bad going.

Would I be right in thinking that it is going to get colder from here as well?

As for the ski centres drinks.gif .

Good luck to Alan trying to get the WH cams back online.

Posted

Traffic chaos at the moment?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/local/scotland-tayside.shtml

Anyone trying to get from south of the Forth Clyde valley facing a nightmare? A9 Closed between Stirling and Perth plus M90 down to one lane as well. With numerous other roads closed or delays.

My dad is currently around Ayr travelling back from visiting me to Dundee. I'm trying to give him updates. What you reckon? Across to Edinburgh then Fife coastal road?

Traffic chaos at the moment?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/local/scotland-tayside.shtml

Anyone trying to get from south of the Forth Clyde valley facing a nightmare? A9 Closed between Stirling and Perth plus M90 down to one lane as well. With numerous other roads closed or delays.

My dad is currently around Ayr travelling back from visiting me to Dundee. I'm trying to give him updates. What you reckon? Across to Edinburgh then Fife coastal road?

Nearest supermarket and stock up on supplies for an overnight stay in the car?? B&B? Although the M 8 and then Forth Road Bridge/coast road combo should be ok really.

Posted

ughh all gone a bit horrible here now heavy rain at the momment seems the cold air has just went too far north, still a great covering but all mushy and horrible i suspect I would need to be around about 300-350m asl to still have snow falling. Cheers

Scott

Posted

Nearest supermarket and stock up on supplies for an overnight stay in the car?? B&B? Although the M 8 and then Forth Road Bridge/coast road combo should be ok really.

I would have thought their would have been more on the news about this. If the A1 in England was blocked by snow north of Leeds and the M6 down to one lane north of Lancaster it would be a Leader on the News, but then its only The Jocks.

Posted

I would have thought their would have been more on the news about this. If the A1 in England was blocked by snow north of Leeds and the M6 down to one lane north of Lancaster it would be a Leader on the News, but then its only The Jocks.

Its the same when the North East of England gets a dumping. They are more interested when areas of large population are affected. I am just hoping some of the scottish snow gets down here-never mind what the press says-enjoy the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Fife does have some snow, dad was over today.

Edinburgh all clear and fife route up to Dundee would think is ok.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Been foul all day, 2C, really nasty gusting wind, constant rain, hail, sleet, snow, rain guague (ykwim) has 22mm today. Dire. Onset of cabin fever due. Faack it, more beer.

Posted

Yeh some mammoth falls occuring on the hills.

Could be looking at 100cm in some places....biggrin.gif lucky sods.

This could be one of the Scotish Ski centres greatest years. They haven't had 1 SW ' hairdryer ' all winter I don't think.?

www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe

ughh all gone a bit horrible here now heavy rain at the momment seems the cold air has just went too far north, still a great covering but all mushy and horrible i suspect I would need to be around about 300-350m asl to still have snow falling. Cheers

Scott

We can only hope it either stops or turns back to snow at some point (soon :lol:). Still, I've got over 8 inches* out the back where the snow hasn't been disturbed which is pretty good considering the snow has been coming over the building from the front (i.e. the back garden has been sheltered from the heaviest snow). I hope the snow doesn't thaw too much overnight as I am up at my parents' house tomorrow morning and they should have caught a lot more snow (a whole 1/4 mile away).

*I have purposely underestimated this before some troll comes on and declares I can't possibly have that much snow, etc., etc. I have been called stupid too many times before on here :lol:

Posted

Temperature back down to just under freezing so we have dry snow falling and a very strong gusty wind blowing it about. Snow depth really building up and we will clear the farm road tonight with the tractor and loader to make sure the car can get down it tomorrow.

Posted

We can only hope it either stops or turns back to snow at some point (soon :lol:). Still, I've got over 8 inches* out the back where the snow hasn't been disturbed which is pretty good considering the snow has been coming over the building from the front (i.e. the back garden has been sheltered from the heaviest snow). I hope the snow doesn't thaw too much overnight as I am up at my parents' house tomorrow morning and they should have caught a lot more snow (a whole 1/4 mile away).

*I have purposely underestimated this before some troll comes on and declares I can't possibly have that much snow, etc., etc. I have been called stupid too many times before on here :lol:

yeah CMD looks like colder air will make its way back down tomorrow so could bring a nice reload of snow but just now its horrible rainy and mushy, Also I think I will climb Ben Lomond after the weekend some mega depths up there I would imagine :)

Scott

edit; just looking at gfs 12z keeps the colder air over us for next week or so with plently of precipitation next 3 days are going to bring more snow and Imo some sort of records must be broken here as the depths of snow being recorded in this 5 day period (Wednesday to Sunday) could exceed 3 metres in some places easily infact. never mind 14-22 inches try 80 inches plus :o:O

Yeh some mammoth falls occuring on the hills.

Could be looking at 100cm in some places....biggrin.gif lucky sods.

This could be one of the Scotish Ski centres greatest years. They haven't had 1 SW ' hairdryer ' all winter I don't think.?

www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe

Never mind one of the greatest seasons I am going to put it out there and say this season will be the best on record, I wonder if anyone has information on total depths in cairngorms must be immense by now

Edited by scott_anthony_glasgow

yeah CMD looks like colder air will make its way back down tomorrow so could bring a nice reload of snow but just now its horrible rainy and mushy, Also I think I will climb Ben Lomond after the weekend some mega depths up there I would imagine :(

Scott

Even if we get no more snow and it just rains now this will go down as one of the best snow events in my life.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

We can only hope it either stops or turns back to snow at some point (soon laugh.gif). Still, I've got over 8 inches* out the back where the snow hasn't been disturbed which is pretty good considering the snow has been coming over the building from the front (i.e. the back garden has been sheltered from the heaviest snow). I hope the snow doesn't thaw too much overnight as I am up at my parents' house tomorrow morning and they should have caught a lot more snow (a whole 1/4 mile away).

*I have purposely underestimated this before some troll comes on and declares I can't possibly have that much snow, etc., etc. I have been called stupid too many times before on here tongue.gif

Nae trolls allowed in here Catch good.gif

So you can boast aboot a' yer inches a' ye want whistling.gif

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

Scott

I think that was about the snow level this afternoon. I drove over the the Campsie road to Fintry this afternoon and although heavy rain low down it was wet snow over the higher parts of the road and I think that road is about 250-300 metres asl in places. There looked to be about 2 foot of level snow with big drifts just off the road.

Posted

I think that was about the snow level this afternoon. I drove over the the Campsie road to Fintry this afternoon and although heavy rain low down it was wet snow over the higher parts of the road and I think that road is about 250-300 metres asl in places. There looked to be about 2 foot of level snow with big drifts just off the road.

yeah that sounds right hmm just wondering what would have happened if temps had been a couple of degrees colder seriously Glasgow city centre would have shut down literally!

Even if we get no more snow and it just rains now this will go down as one of the best snow events in my life.

yeah I agree altohugh March 2006 had more depth it was really a one day event where this has potential for a few more days yet :(

Scott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

MY TRAIN TO INVERNESS IS CANCELLED!!!!!!!:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms.

It hasn`t stopped snowing here all day!

At the moment very heavy and a sharp wind, 1c.

Posted

Temp here is 1.3C (DP 0.7C) and falling. Snow seems to be getting a little heavier too. Will it start to accumulate again?