Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

In Bishopbriggs it snowed for most of yesterday but was pretty wet snow and only amounted to about 5cm in most parts by early evening.

Then it turned heavier and we had a good fall beteeen about 4.30pm and 11pm. Warmer upper air then moved in, despite the surface temperature still falling, and then we had heavy rain overnight. I thought all the snow might be gone in the morning but it must have turned back to snow in the early hours because we had another covering on top of the old stuff by the morning.

At the moment its about 4-5 cm of slush on the road outside and about 6-7cm of heavy wet snow on the grass, paths etc.

It was so marginal all day and I think the snowline around the Glasgow area was only about 50-60 metres (I checked this out in Partick where, in the afternooon, the snow was lying at the top of Gardner St and not at the bottom, for anyone who doesnt know it its the steepest street in the West End).

There will be understandable disappointment for those in the central and other low lying areas in Glasgow as other areas got big totals but there will still more opportunities over the next 48 hours. In fact, looking at the radar there appears to be a chance later this morning and into the afternoon although at the moment, it again, seems quite marginal to me.

43m above sea level here. wallbash.gif

There's some snow in the ground but nothing compared to just up the road in Clarkston I'd imagine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Radio Scotland keeps on about severe congestion - gridlock - around Stirling although the Traffic Scotland website has nothing showing there at all. Typical, when you need good info in this poxy country it all goes boobies up. :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Have a look at some of these web cams the one for Slochd summit looks interesting.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/index.aspx

SS2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Every chance as the front sinks back south, I think. What height do you live at though Ally??

Not sure, I'll go and find out, think its below sea level.:rolleyes:

Not sure, I'll go and find out, think its below sea level.:rolleyes:

:o

Doesn't sound too good :)

I am off to the shops to buy everything that's left.

TV reception had just cut out....

I wonder how long the broadband will last....or the electric :lol: :p

Posted

I like this update from XC Weather on why I was unable to access their web page. Nice and precise, no waffle.

XCWeather

XCWeather is temporarily unavailable due to technical difficulties.

(server fan failure causing an overheat, currently sourcing a replacement)

Normal service should be resumed shortly.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Slightly off-topic given todays major snow interest. But a quick look at the GFS (whether we believe it or not..) suggests another 2 weeks of cold. That would take us up to getting on for mid-March and almost 3 months since the mid-December easterly of the 17th kicked it all off.

I'd never bet my mortgage on the GFS but none of us will be too surprised that theres no obvious sign yet of a change away from cold. Speaking for myself, I can't decide if I want more snow chances or not, this has been one hell of a long cold winter !

Edit: rhetorical question, of course I want more snow chances, who am I kidding ... laugh.gif

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Have a look at some of these web cams the one for Slochd summit looks interesting.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/index.aspx

SS2

the site not working for me!

the cameras are all off!

Posted

the site not working for me!

the cameras are all off!

A lot are covered in snow as well. :shok:

Nope all off, too much snow and they have all given up. :p

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Slightly off-topic given todays major snow interest. But a quick look at the GFS (whether we believe it or not..) suggests another 2 weeks of cold. That would take us up to getting on for mid-March and almost 3 months since the mid-December easterly of the 17th kicked it all off.

I'd never bet my mortgage on the GFS but none of us will be too surprised that theres no obvious sign yet of a change away from cold. Speaking for myself, I can't decide if I want more snow chances or not, this has been one hell of a long cold winter !

Edit: rhetorical question, of course I want more snow chances, who am I kidding ... laugh.gif

Agree with all of that,and despite the amazing length of the cold this winter i find im still disapointed that this mornings rain is melting the couple of centimeters of snow that fell here yesterday.We have really been spoilt this season.

Posted

I hope not - i've had enough of it now. The last 2 days have been dreich. Gawd alone knows what me heating bill will be with the missus having had it on non stop since December!

Currently 3.5/3.6c here so little chance of any snow in the immediate future

Edited by JoeShmoe

Posted

Bugger first chance to look at Traffic Scotland this morning and all the cams are off-line! Someome scared of the bandwidth bill? :shok:

I'm desperately trying to fix the Mountain Spirt Webcam that is in Aviemore, it's file system got fried in a power surge a few days ago - will try and get down the A9 to Aviemore this afternoon and get it installed again if I can get it to work!

Edited by skifreak

Posted

Nothing much in Edinburgh, but remaining hopeful for the front returning south. Been pretty nondescript here for the last month. A couple of cms of slush was all we had from an entire morning of wet snow yesterday - once again just the wrong side of marginal.

Highlighted by the incidents yesterday, looks like the avalanche hazard will be really high for a while (deep snow and windslab on top of weak layers of frost in places) - I hope mountaineers are sensible and extremely wary of these conditions. Here's hoping the roads can be cleared to get to the ski centres though!

sss

Posted

Morning you lot...How's the weather up there in Scotty??

Morning Pete, for the most part, cold white and fun.

TrafficScotland Cam's back online

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Still snowing although it is a bit wet and is thawing on trees and roofs. Currently +0.5c and a strong east wind.Just a few miles inland from here it must be bad with blowing snow. A few photos from this mornings feeding rounds.post-2744-12670999545817_thumb.jpgpost-2744-12670999709317_thumb.jpgpost-2744-12671000393517_thumb.jpg

Posted

Bugger first chance to look at Traffic Scotland this morning and all the cams are off-line! Someome scared of the bandwidth bill? :shok:

I'm desperately trying to fix the Mountain Spirt Webcam that is in Aviemore, it's file system got fried in a power surge a few days ago - will try and get down the A9 to Aviemore this afternoon and get it installed again if I can get it to work!

...and while your at it fix the loch morlich cam ...... :p

good luck with your drive - the A9 looks somewhat sketchy to say the least

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Some photos from about 8am-9am:

post-2844-12671018625617_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12671019493617_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12671020010017_thumb.jpg

post-2844-12671021106417_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12671020555517_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12671022042017_thumb.jpg

post-2844-12671022515917_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but I couldn't be bothered to resize the photos. Too busy dreaming up another excuse to go outside whistling.gifrofl.gif

Aye, you have done well Catch clap.gif

Ok if Mondy nips along wi a barra whistling.gif

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

post-2844-12671018625617_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12671019493617_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12671020010017_thumb.jpg

post-2844-12671021106417_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12671020555517_thumb.jpgpost-2844-12671022042017_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but I couldn't be bothered to resize the photos. Too busy dreaming up another excuse to go outside :p:shok:

lovely pics Catch, sorry but I'm now going to sit and cry quietly in the corner, really wanted some snow :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Nice ones catch, positively Barvarian !

Sorry, but I couldn't be bothered to resize the photos. Too busy dreaming up another excuse to go outside whistling.gifrofl.gif