Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

Posted

Good luck to those further west and north who are finally getting the big frontal dumping promised.

Thank you.

To be honest when it stopped snowing about 11.00 am I thought that was it and the temperature rose to 1c but the cloud just looked so threatening and about 3.00pm any damp sufaces started to refreeze, the temperature went back to 0c and dry sparkling snowflakes started to fall. It is currently 0c with light to moderate snow falling being blown about by a fresh to strong east wind so by morning if this keeps up we should have a good covering and the roads should be well filled in particularly on higher areas. A couple of photos taken about 11.00am this morning.post-2744-12670421624817_thumb.jpgpost-2744-12670421832517_thumb.jpgincluding one of the turnip field where the cattle eat everyday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Thems the breaks LS ... :lol:

Thus far - and if it continues to snow north and west of here, then its possibly analgous to a scaled down version of the late January 1978 blizzard. Similar setup, starting with snow falling and lying in Embra/south central Scotland. Thought we'd be digging out... But the whole thing kept moving north and west until the boundary was more or less in a line from Inverness to Argyle when it then just stalled for 36 or 48 hours. Everywhere west of that was pelted with snow, behind it we were stuck with north sea muck,rapid melt, rain and drizzle. Sharp dividing line between glory and despair. Bit like how it is right now !

That was a seriously bad one, trains buried, highland hotels buried etc Don't know if we'll approach that over the next 24-36 hours. But for folk north and west of the boundary, obviously could be some good totals, best of the winter for many I'm sure.

Far from convinced its winters last attack, so better luck next time for us south-central-easties ! Good luck to the westies and northies over the next day or so you lucky sods :lol::whistling::lol:

Damn, well at least you got yer snaw! The snow lying shield which, to be fair, has been much, much less of a problem this winter than in others was the major drawback today, and I'm sure Hiya, Norrance, SP33 and By-Tor will have had the same problem. March can still be good for snowfall, but as I've said before this event was merely the crowning jewel in a very snowy winter (or in my case the only valid disappointment!).

edit: Another thought - that youtube forecast for Baltimore for 14-22 inches of snow, well in terms of depth by tomorrow evening anywhere above 100 metres in central, western or northern Scotland could have something like that, without even exaggerating!

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

It's really weird what's happened today. I came back in from my last walk today at about 5pm and the trees were bare, roofs were bare and the cars outside (which had been moved) were snow free. There was a major thaw on with a lot of slush underfoot. The snow at that time was still falling but had been looking increasingly like sleet from about 3pm onwards. Just as the sun set and the darkness fell the sleety looking snow suddenly went back to proper snow again. Everything is completely white again outside, the cars which were clear are now well covered so easily an inch of snow on them. Can't tell with the other cars as they're just big snow lumps now.

We're on the cusp of a good snow event becoming something really special.

Aye CMD et al. you derserve it. All that waiting has paid off.

I'm happy to see many getting a good snow dump. Not that bothered about my wet slushy inch (says through gritted teeth) at all....

Ah well, I got my 50 cm+ at new year, so I can't complain. Already planning my next trip to the highlands; if they're still there after tonight that is. As far as I can see they've dissapeared into another dimension; only something like white noise showing on the traffic cams biggrin.gif

Posted

getting heavier here like CMD said could be something really special here come morning

Scott

Aye CMD et al. you derserve it. All that waiting has paid off.

I'm happy to see many getting a good snow dump. Not that bothered about my wet slushy inch (says through gritted teeth) at all....

Ah well, I got my 50 cm+ at new year, so I can't complain. Already planning my next trip to the highlands; if they're still there after tonight that is. As far as I can see they've dissapeared into another dimension; only something like white noise showing on the traffic cams biggrin.gif

hello SS just wondering did any of that 50cm+ snow survive or did it all melt?Cheers

Scott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Still snowing here and everywhere is covered :whistling: Hasn't dropped below moderate or heavy since this afternoon. There must be 3-4 inches accumulated now after the thaw earlier.

Edited by WhiteXmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well done guys. Thank god YOU got some Catch (nip! nip! nip!) :whistling: Be interesting to hear your totals tomorrow. Stopped raining here now don't know what's next so it will probably just sit there till heavier rain comes whenever?

Posted

getting heavier here like CMD said could be something really special here come morning

Scott

hello SS just wondering did any of that 50cm+ snow survive or did it all melt?Cheers

Scott

Good cover lasted into the first week of Feb before being killed off by a couple actually proper 'mild' days. Still huge patches just a little higher up at Soutra >~300m, so lying snow there since mid December.

We've had a couple of wee falls since, a few cms here and there, but usually disappearing over a day or two. This moring looked really promising until we went the wrong side of the front.

I have not counted actual lying snow days, but off the top of my head for the garden (bit of a frost hollow), I'd say 40 at least this winter.

Posted

Total pants here now. Embra airport reporting 4c/3c DP last I looked. Garbage ! :help:

*sniffles*

Sleet here, at the moment. Temp.: 2.5C and DP exactly same.. :(

I can see the snow melting and I can see grass!!! :cray::(

Posted

Heavy sleet here still, 1c/ 1c. Incredibly frustrating! The best winter of my life but it hasn't brought a majot snow event at home to top it off! Ah well, still another few weeks to go. Not sure if i'll make it over the moors to work tomorrow going by reports on here.

Posted

Total pants here now. Embra airport reporting 4c/3c DP last I looked. Garbage ! wallbash.gif

T slowy creeping down here. Now 1.1 C from a peak of 1.6 C. Looks like it could be frozen slush in the morning; ideal for sliding onto your a*s. Lovely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Total pants here now. Embra airport reporting 4c/3c DP last I looked. Garbage ! wallbash.gif

Hey, you can't come on and give a fairly measured and reasonable post talking about how this is similar to January 1978 and talking about that just being the way things go and then having a massive TOORP a minute later! laugh.gif

Posted

Well if the boundary is stalling on the south-west to north-east axis as it looks to be, keeping Glasgow on the cold side., and the wind keeps pushing stuff southwestwards, then it could indeed...

I expect CMD and Scott A will keep doing well...and other higher outlying parts of Glesgae. Can't speak for the inner city, all depends on the intensity of the precipitation and the usual inner city warming that will probably play a part in there.

Glasgow at southern edge of all this snow, can it last all night?

Posted

Wind really getting up now snow drifting in front garden. This was the only thing missing from this winter a good old fashioned blizzard and we now seem to be getting it!!!!

Posted

Hey, you can't come on and give a fairly measured and reasonable post talking about how this is similar to January 1978 and talking about that just being the way things go and then having a massive TOORP a minute later! laugh.gif

Ha ha.

LS, I think you and I both know how BT is feeling right now....

A good old toorp is ok once in a while biggrin.gif

Would be great if that front decided to move south tonight. BBC etc have it sitting where it is until friday. But then, wait a minute, only this morning it was forecast to stall much further south? Who knows what it'll do next. Moved fast enough today when it wanted to.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

LOL ... you got me sussed now... I can't handle it ... :cray: ... if I see Rob McElwee later on, pointing to a huge freekin' white splodge on the map, in a radius 30 miles west and north of here and lasting 24 hours ... then the telly is going oot the windae and flying through 5c air and dismal drizzle on its way to the ground !:help:

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Sky has gone bright orange and heavy here now. I don't suppose?.....Nah!

Posted

LOL ... you got me sussed now... I can't handle it ... crazy.gif ... if I see Rob McElwee later on, pointing to a huge freekin' white splodge on the map, in a radius 30 miles west and north of here and lasting 24 hours ... then the telly is going oot the windae and flying through 5c air and dismal drizzle on its way to the ground !yahoo.gif

Bet that'll feel great until about 10 seconds after impact.

Then you'll be out in a flash wiping slush of the LCD, trying to push wires and knobs back in whilst wailing 'meeee telllllly!' in the direction of the (snowless) sky to the worry of the neighbours.

Posted

Well if the boundary is stalling on the south-west to north-east axis as it looks to be, keeping Glasgow on the cold side., and the wind keeps pushing stuff southwestwards, then it could indeed...

I expect CMD and Scott A will keep doing well...and other higher outlying parts of Glesgae. Can't speak for the inner city, all depends on the intensity of the precipitation and the usual inner city warming that will probably play a part in there.

You forgot me :help:

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Bet that'll feel great until about 10 seconds after impact.

Then you'll be out in a flash wiping slush of the LCD, trying to push wires and knobs back in whilst wailing 'meeee telllllly!' in the direction of the (snowless) sky to the worry of the neighbours.

You got the number fur the RSPCT, SS whistling.gif

Ah canny sit here and listen tae this type of treatment tae a telly and no report itdry.gif

Poor wee Sony, it wiz a Bravia right tae the end oops.gif

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

Aww...

Is it still snowing in Paisley?

Yes it certainly is :help: Snowing at moderate intensity. Hopefully that front will either move south or stall.

Posted

Yes it certainly is :( Snowing at moderate intensity. Hopefully that front will either move south or stall.

Can you send it South or East, please?  :cray:

Temps haven't changed a bit, since my last post.. Wonder if the weather station is alive...  :help:(Edit: Infact they have both risen 0.3c)