Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

You think? Temps and dew points look on the right side of marginal?

Yes, looking at coarse resolution, but being a coast-dwelling type, I've seen 1 to 2 degree higher temps and dewpoints around the coast here than have been shown on the GFS panes, even at short range. And I think that will be even more the case now than in December and January due to the extra strength of the sun.

Why should I be the party pooper though? Snow days are fine from a personal point of view, it's just that I see crofters, farmers, foresters, road workers, binmen (or whatever we're supposed to call them), police, ambulance drivers, all are getting just a wee bit tired of all this.

The next few days will certainly be interesting; fun is another matter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Thanks :D I can't believe how much snow you guys are going to get! The radar has stalled and it looks like the snow will be just continious for 2 days straight. That is some serious accumilations. I'm surprised more hasn't been made out of this on the news and things. I reckon at least 25cm widely in many parts of Scotland by tomorrow night.

I haven't been checking the radar since last night. I'll need to look now! :wallbash: When did you notice that the radar was showing the front stalling?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Yes, looking at coarse resolution, but being a coast-dwelling type, I've seen 1 to 2 degree higher temps and dewpoints around the coast here than have been shown on the GFS panes, even at short range. And I think that will be even more the case now than in December and January due to the extra strength of the sun.

Why should I be the party pooper though? Snow days are fine from a personal point of view, it's just that I see crofters, farmers, foresters, road workers, binmen (or whatever we're supposed to call them), police, ambulance drivers, all are getting just a wee bit tired of all this.

The next few days will certainly be interesting; fun is another matter!

Indeed. Big earner for our ski-ing industry though! :D

And correct about the coastal marginal situation, always the case. Pete used to get sleet right down on the Moray Firth coast in Inverness while Gilly and I would get some nice sneachd, so I reckon Gilly in particular will see a monster snowfall over the next couple of days.

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Seems like some parts really will have about 36hrs of non stop snow in more inaland parts, no doubt some places run the real risk of being cutoff by the time this is done, certainly wouldn't surprise me to see some places get upto a foot of snow judging from the evolution of this pattern...lucky buggers!

Seems like some parts really will have about 36hrs of non stop snow in more inaland parts, no doubt some places run the real risk of being cutoff by the time this is done, certainly wouldn't surprise me to see some places get upto a foot of snow judging from the evolution of this pattern...lucky buggers!

I'm just praying it stays as snow now. Looking amazing outside now. Off to play soon hopefully :D

Central, Tayside & Fife:

60% Angus

60% Perth + Kinross

60% Stirling

Heavy snowfall on Wednesday is expected to continue during Thursday. Accumulations of 10 to 20cms are expected in many areas away from windward northern and eastern coasts. Total accumulations over the two-day period may exceed 50cms over higher ground in the north and east. The snow is expected to be accompanied by strong winds with drifting likely above 300 metres.

Issued at: 1031 Wed 24 Feb

From the Met-O

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ta/ta_forecast_warnings.html

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I'm wondering whether it will bypass my area later on. I stay about 10-15 miles south west of Glasgow. I am hoping I am in prime position for later on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

New warning out for Scotland from the Met Office...

Heavy snowfall on Wednesday is expected to continue during Thursday. Accumulations of 10 to 20cms are expected in many areas away from windward northern and eastern coasts. Total accumulations over the two-day period may exceed 50cms over higher ground in the north and east. The snow is expected to be accompanied by strong winds with drifting likely above 300 metres.

Issued at: 1031 Wed 24 Feb

Take care everyone up there, I hope you'll be posting pics over the coming days. I would love to see half a meter of level snow!

Posted

Slap me too then.... it's gonna be torrential around inverness at low levels (up to maybe 200m) on Friday. Yuk.

Thats two days away!!! I am talking about today and tomorrow.

Agreed it could be marginal right on the coast though they often have temps couple of degrees higher

I also appreciate what you say about the hazards for those who have to be out and about.

I prefer to see a couple of days proper snow then nice and steadily thaw and disappear. I hate when is hangs around a freezes as slush!

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

No mention about Fife in the "Issued at: 1031 Wed 24 Feb" update... Damn! wallbash.gif

Inland Fife, away from the coast is doing quite well at the moment clap.gif so I think we will have our fair share over the next two days good.gif

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Out front, the main road is getting a bit iffy now. One or two cars are getting stuck on the hill. Still coming down here at a steady rate. Some drifting, so difficult to get an accurate measurement. Dew point now 1.0c. Didn't think it could snow unless it was zero or below?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

If its heavy enough it'll still do it, even with a +1C DP. Probelm with these wet snowfalls is when it slackens off in intensity and gets sleety again.

Pray for prolonged intensity biggrin.gif

Out front, the main road is getting a bit iffy now. One or two cars are getting stuck on the hill. Still coming down here at a steady rate. Some drifting, so difficult to get an accurate measurement. Dew point now 1.0c. Didn't think it could snow unless it was zero or below?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Snow still not lying in Cathcart area of Glasgow, however having just been out for a run, Giffnock and Clarkston have a couple of inches lying.

Big difference in the thickness of falling snow too.

Imagine it snowed for 36 hours here and none of it settled? If it could happen anywhere, it would be Glasgow.

Posted

Hi

it's get very light outside, snow Is stopping why, lots on the radar, 36 hrs hmmmm

I wouldn't worry. It'll probably have intensified where you are whilst I am typing this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Seen prolonged snow before that doesn't make much impact. Penalty of living in a sea-level city in a marginal climate. ..Think we're in the same boat in Edinburgh...but a bus to the higher parts of town will add 2-3 inches to the slushy city-centre picture...

Don't think I'll be sledging in Leith the next 2 days but a 20 minute bus ride to the Braids and I think the young un might get to use his sledge again !

Snow still not lying in Cathcart area of Glasgow, however having just been out for a run, Giffnock and Clarkston have a couple of inches lying.

Big difference in the thickness of falling snow too.

Imagine it snowed for 36 hours here and none of it settled? If it could happen anywhere, it would be Glasgow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Edit: We were one of the few parent/kids walking to school in the snow, the traffic was horrendous through the village with all the parents using their cars. BoyCatch was ecstatic that he wasn't stuck in a car. We had a great time doing huge doughnuts in the pub car park with ToddlerCatch's pram :lol:

Funny we always walk to school too, and the school car park was very busy and everyone diving for their cars!The wee one and I were having fun with the snow blowing in our face and eating snowflakes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Perth 1.7C DP 0.9C with Snow gone to sleet and rain now.:lol::lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Temps definitely on the rise here - snow melt from car, roads just slushy everything else is white. Could be marginal here throughout but its still snowing at the moment.

Posted

So the big question is the front now stalling further north and we in central belt getting warmer temps? that is how i see it on the charts but is anyone else seeing the same?