Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

Posted

We've got a thick covering out here in Kilmacolm and it's snowing pretty heavily at the moment. Glasgow is always rubbish for snow! Roughly where are you in Glasgow? I used to live in Newlands and Shawlands (at various different times) and it was utter pish for snow there :)

I'm right at the Passport Office, and it dreich, damp and downright Doomaggedon Central at the moment...

I live in the vain hope that something more substantial is going to hit us later on today - I've given up looking at the models....

Posted

Started to snow here at 6.30am and currently -4c. No problems settling on such frozen ground. Phone rang all last evening with folks looking for hay or silage(we have nothing spare) looking serious for livestock feeding in this area. Spring will definitely be late now.

I'm right at the Passport Office, and it dreich, damp and downright Doomaggedon Central at the moment...

I live in the vain hope that something more substantial is going to hit us later on today - I've given up looking at the models....

I don't hold out hope for central Glasgow but the rest of the region should take a pasting of sorts though. Glasgow is just too marginal; too low down and two much of an urban heat island.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Started to snow here at 6.30am and currently -4c. No problems settling on such frozen ground. Phone rang all last evening with folks looking for hay or silage(we have nothing spare) looking serious for livestock feeding in this area. Spring will definitely be late now.

Sorry to hear that. Very small but heavy flakes falling here.

Good news about the snow, not so good if you can't feed the animals. Hopefully a quick snowstorm to melt situation for the sake of your animals/bank balance; but it doesn't look likely :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Good news about the snow, not so good if you can't feed the animals. Hopefully a quick snowstorm to melt situation for the sake of your animals/bank balance; but it doesn't look likely sad.gif

Not on the Moray Coast anyway, they look like taking a real pasting, moreso than the central belt which will see sleet, rain or no precipitation at times overnight and tomorrow. Has anyone seen the UKMO ? http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UW96-21.GIF?24-06

Less marginal then. Huge blizzard now!!

Not on the Moray Coast anyway, they look like taking a real pasting, moreso than the central belt which will see sleet, rain or no precipitation at times overnight and tomorrow. Has anyone seen the UKMO ? http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UW96-21.GIF?24-06

Less marginal then. Huge blizzard now!!

I can't believe this is it for snow then today.....I hope a lot falls before it turns to sleet/rain. In all fairness to the weather it is snowing its wee best at the moment :)

Posted

Got up at 2am, heavy snow, 1 cm lying, got up at 6.30am, rain nothing lying, went back to bed dejected, got up at 7.10am, snowing and lying!

Not quite as good as it looked last night however plenty of time to go.

Temps seem to be falling slightly locally. Down to 0.5C at Bishopton and a dew point of -0.5C. Perfect for snow!! Hope it lasts :)

I take it all back - winter isn't over. Just outside Livingston and have a decent 2-3cm cover and still falling steadily.

:)

You're forgiven :)

Posted

I take it all back - winter isn't over. Just outside Livingston and have a decent 2-3cm cover and still falling steadily.

Lol!

Posted

Well, as GraemeB has pointed out, not much happening in Glasgow. Snow falling but fairly light and just looks a little worse as it's blowing about in the wind. That goes for the South and West side away from the city centre. Bit of a disappointment so far but plenty of time to go I guess...

Sounding better elsewhere, particularly the East. As always!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

a nice covering here again. was snowing lightly since about 6.30am but not making a huge impact. shame its going to turn to rain here later...awww...

Quite heavy snow with a strong wind in Bishopbriggs. Just a light covering of maybe 2 cms but sticking to everything because of the wind. Radar looking good for quite prolonged snow today.

Looks like the outskirts of Glasgow are doing fine for snow then; just the city centre which is struggling. Some of the Glasgow traffic cams look as if it's just a dreich rainy winter's day.

Down Ross B's way the traffic cam at Dutch House on the A77 is clear of snow too; some of the Edinburgh cams are snowy, some are clear.

Edit: Erskine Bridge just over the braes from me (6.5 miles away) is very rainy looking too.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Big accidents on the M80 - closed at Dunblane, and also the A80 closed southbound at the railway bridge due to an overturned lorry....

Posted

Big accidents on the M80 - closed at Dunblane, and also the A80 closed southbound at the railway bridge due to an overturned lorry....

Much as I love snow, it is horrible having to drive in it and see so many accidents. Just hope there are no serious injuries!

Posted

An Aberdeen snow dome seems to have kicked in - we had a light dusting it seems but the ppt seems to be avoiding us here. Whoever erected it, please take it away pronto.

An Aberdeen snow dome seems to have kicked in - we had a light dusting it seems but the ppt seems to be avoiding us here. Whoever erected it, please take it away pronto.

Damn, I wondered when you would notice that I had plonked our snow dome onto Aberdeen. You won't be able to get it back here any time soon; most of the roads south are closed due to accidents or traffic jammed.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

So how iffy is it looking for the east coast today? your thoughts appreciated.

My take is by mid/late pm we could be looking at rain at lower levels?

although more prospects over the next couple of days too.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms.

Snowing heavily and -3c.

We`ve had about 1.5" and it doesn`t look like it`s going to stop anytime soon.

Posted

I must apologise as the area that might see the heavier more persistant snow & colder temps seems slightly further N than I thought yesterday. Looking at the fax charts and the NAE it seems locations such as Glasgow/Edinburgh remain on the edge of snow/rain. The temps in this region won't see anything higher than around 1C so alternating spells of rain/snow seem likely although this will turn more to snow as the front starts to back S.

At the moment I would say anyone N of Dundee are likely to see temps around or just below freezing throughout the next few days with further spells of snow. The snow depths could reach over 30cm in some areas.

If I had the opportunity I would love to stay in Inverness this week. This area could see very heavy falls. Im ashamed to say i've never been to Scotland and maybe next winter I may treat myself to a short holiday if heavy snow is predicted.