Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

NorthernRab

Wrong side of marginal here too now. 1.6 C and drip drip drip.

The ground is white, but only by 1-2 inches. Damn front northgraded to much.

Still, it seems to have stalled maybe - please can it come back over bringing snow with cold air behind.....

edit: according to the BBC, that's not happening until friday. Oh well, have 3 meeting at work the morn so I guess that's not so bad in some ways

I really hope it has stalled as if it has then it might be game on here (not that it hasn't been already). I am thinking of going for a second walk :) as it should be 4-6 inches rather than the 3 inches it was earlier.

Posted

Meto look to have the front moving back down south slowly after midnight - the temps look to hold up over freezing, so I suppose it's gonna be rain/sleet more than anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Meto look to have the front moving back down south slowly after midnight - the temps look to hold up over freezing, so I suppose it's gonna be rain/sleet more than anything.

It's snowed all day here and still is so I would think for places in the west like me we will see snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Snowing very lightly here now and a little dripping going on. BBC certainly do seem to have changed their minds about the extent of the snow now. Temps and dewpoints rising and both at 1.7c. Guess that's it folks! Still, I got my wish of one last dumping before Spring so i'm quite happy. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Sitting at 1.6 C here and we have some cover. Hope we can drop back closer to freezing again to preserve it and maybe catch some more snow as the front retreats.

Posted

Snowing very lightly here now and a little dripping going on.   BBC certainly do seem to have changed  their minds about  the extent of the snow now.  Temps and dewpoints rising and both at 1.7c.   Guess that's it folks!  Still, I got my wish of one last dumping before Spring so i'm quite happy. :lol:

Words well spoken  :):)

Posted

It has snowed consistently here in Larkhall since about 1am this morning, fantastic event!

Been on the borderline of precip on raintoday for the last 2 hours, so front has stalled. Temp drop from 1.9C to 1.1C in the last hour - Has to be good news?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

we are in major meltdown, by tomorrow i think there will be little trace of our snaw.

Aw well it was nice to see it - i'd much prefer snaw to cold wet days!

Anyhow whats coming next? time for a peek at the charts methinks.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Been overcast but dry for the last few hours but odd flake coming down again,currently 0c snow dripping off roofs but sticking to frozen ground.A moderate to fresh east wind also now and the cloud to the east looks very snowy and threatening, it looks as though overnight we may get some more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Epic fail here in northeast Fife - snowed all day in Cupar but just melted the cm or so we had this morning, though I think we had more here in Freuchie at one point but now 2C and wet. Oh well, can't complain about this winter for the snow front, and I suspect there might be more after this low moves through - March still packs a punch, though as today shows if the snow arrives only just before sunrise then it will be a bit disappointing. I'm glad Catch got his fill though, he's had less than me for most of the rest of winter so he deserves his snowgood.gif

Off to check some models to see where the next event might be coming from.

LS

Posted

Prolonged snow been falling here all day, lightly at first (although DH cleared an inch or 2 before he went to work @ 6:30am). Then quite steady since about 12pm, have tried to keep the road clear but it's impossible today, very persistent stuff, probably about another 4 inches atop the 2 we had earlier (atop the 2" or so that was still lying) - and theres no sign of a let up, seems to have stalled right over the top of us too.

Think people are going to find the drive home tonight quite hard as I just phoned Aberdeen and they are unaware of it's intensity, horrible stuff for driving in too as roads cannot stay clear! Think this is what you can see NL, if it gets the length of you and overnight at that, it could be that 50cm they've been reporting ready to fall on the Highlands, as I see their traffic cams are still relatively clear - check the Foundland - Huntly one!

Edited by Snooz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

Afternoon everyone, after a day of thawing the snow seems to be landing back on the cars outside here in Coatbridge, although looking at the radar it seems about to stop soon!

Posted

Afternoon everyone, after a day of thawing the snow seems to be landing back on the cars outside here in Coatbridge, although looking at the radar it seems about to stop soon!

epic day here just went out and measured depth around about 13cm with drifts slightly deeper, seems like snowline is about 100m+ and anything below that has just had snow/sleet falling on wet ground. To anyone in Glasgow get yourself to high ground above 150m snow is deep :) East Kilbride will be looking good to I imagine.

Also could this be the start of something epic here? possibly more snow to come?

Scott

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

It had turned to rain here at work in West Lothian just after lunch time and has rained for the last couple of hours, BUT it is now steadily turning back to snow with some bigger flakes starting to appear at the moment good.gif

Big Innes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

epic day here just went out and measured depth around about 13cm with drifts slightly deeper, seems like snowline is about 100m+ and anything below that has just had snow/sleet falling on wet ground. To anyone in Glasgow get yourself to high ground above 150m snow is deep smile.gif East Kilbride will be looking good to I imagine.

Also could this be the start of something epic here? possibly more snow to come?

Scott

Spot on about snow level scott. I could walk a few hundreds yards across the field and up to the high road, maybe even just drive to Glenrothes, and see quite a lot of snow. It was a timing issue really, perhaps if the precipitation had hit either a bit earlier through the night or cloud cover had impeded later in the night so we could get down to -2C before snow started falling we would've had a bigger event than we ended up with.

Posted

I wonder if the Met Office will recall or update their Fife weather warning soon for tomorrow... :)   http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ta/ta_forecast_warnings.html  

---

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of Scotland. Further outbreaks of snow are likely to give falls of 2 to 5cm, mainly over high ground, and totals locally in excess of 10cm over highest parts. Strong northeasterly winds may cause some drifting.

Issued at: 1205 Wed 24 Feb

---

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The issue isn't the strong sun at this time of year- it's the fact that the low pressure area has modified air in its circulation and warmer air is mixing with the frontal zone. The front gave sleet or rain for most of England and Wales as it headed north. You need the front to be further to the north of the low pressure, pushing against cold air and accumulating cold polar air in the circulation for widespread snowfall and snow cover which is more likely with less of a west based negative NAO regime.

This is well reflected by the dewpoints that people are getting. If the issue was the strong sun the dewpoints would be staying low but the air temperature would be rising, you wouldn't be seeing the dewpoints creeping towards 2C.

Posted

The issue isn't the strong sun at this time of year- it's the fact that the low pressure area has modified air in its circulation and warmer air is mixing with the frontal zone. The front gave sleet or rain for most of England and Wales as it headed north. You need the front to be further to the north of the low pressure, pushing against cold air and accumulating cold polar air in the circulation for widespread snowfall and snow cover which is more likely with less of a west based negative NAO regime.

This is well reflected by the dewpoints that people are getting. If the issue was the strong sun the dewpoints would be staying low but the air temperature would be rising, you wouldn't be seeing the dewpoints creeping towards 2C.

Thanks for that. My point was that for my location while it was marginal for most of the day it did fall entirely as snow until about an hour ago but failed to settle, though this is probably also due in large part to the warm uppers pushing in from the North Sea.

epic day here just went out and measured depth around about 13cm with drifts slightly deeper, seems like snowline is about 100m+ and anything below that has just had snow/sleet falling on wet ground. To anyone in Glasgow get yourself to high ground above 150m snow is deep :) East Kilbride will be looking good to I imagine.

Scott

Much the same here. Slightly slushy in places, but easily 6 inches out in the countryside up on the cycle track :) :) :)

I am just back from another walk (took ToddlerCatch in the pram this time) and it was brilliant once out of the village in the mostly undisturbed snow. Still snowing lightly now.

Latest from the Met-O:

Strathclyde:

Argyll + Bute

E Dunbartonshire

Inverclyde

Renfrewshire

W Dunbartonshire

Drifting Snow & Heavy Snow 1800 Wed 24 0600 Thu 25

Outbreaks of snow will continue through this evening and overnight. Further fresh accumulations of 5-10cm in places, especially over higher ground. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Scotland for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1702 Wed 24 Feb

From:http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/st/st_forecast_warnings.html

If this comes off it will take the Met-O to 3 out 5 for snow weather warnings this winter :) :) A late comeback!! (possibly)

Posted

Prolonged snow been falling here all day, lightly at first (although DH cleared an inch or 2 before he went to work @ 6:30am). Then quite steady since about 12pm, have tried to keep the road clear but it's impossible today, very persistent stuff, probably about another 4 inches atop the 2 we had earlier (atop the 2" or so that was still lying) - and theres no sign of a let up, seems to have stalled right over the top of us too.

Think people are going to find the drive home tonight quite hard as I just phoned Aberdeen and they are unaware of it's intensity, horrible stuff for driving in too as roads cannot stay clear! Think this is what you can see NL, if it gets the length of you and overnight at that, it could be that 50cm they've been reporting ready to fall on the Highlands, as I see their traffic cams are still relatively clear - check the Foundland - Huntly one!

Moderate dry powdery snow now falling being blown about in a fresh east wind. Visibility closing in, so looks as though it will get heavier. Currently 0c

Posted

Moderate dry powdery snow now falling being blown about in a fresh east wind. Visibility closing in, so looks as though it will get heavier. Currently 0c

yeah snow is now heavier here to, also looks like its beginning to settle at lower levels coming back from the gym the snow was starting to settle at 50m+ will be interesting tomorrow morning could be mega depth here :)

Scott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

The snow is properly starting to lie now on the roofs etc. We aren't even 25m asl so that is a very good sign :) just a shame that the snow is lighter just now however I am hoping for more tonight/tomorrow.

Posted

The snow is properly starting to lie now on the roofs etc. We aren't even 25m asl so that is a very good sign :) just a shame that the snow is lighter just now however I am hoping for more tonight/tomorrow.

yeah defo snow level dropping if you have any ground near you thats above 100m should be good falls there :)

Scott